Heritage Line Listening

Jim

Jim, what kind of music do you listen to, mostly?  What's your listening environment, room size, furniture, etc?  These things make a difference.  Let us know more about your tastes in music and other important factors, and it will be easier for us to help.  Anyone recommending you simply buy a set before listening or considering other factors is bunk, or maybe they are just joking, not sure.

its not bunk and i wasn't kidding. i've bought 40 sets of heritage over the last 25 yrs and i never once heard them until i brought them home. kinda hard to listen to them when you have them shipped across country

what do you need hear. it says klipsch on them. everybody knows, well maybe some people don't

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

The problem though for me where I am, is there aren't any audio stores that have them available to preview. The stores I call don't carry them.

This is a common problem.  IMO, it's a disgraceful problem.  I sadly recall that the S.F. Bay Area used to have 8 stores that not only carried most of the Heritage line, but every one of them had Klipschorns.  By the time I left (2004) there were none ... and the best speakers they had sounded like s**t, compared to the clarity of Klipschorns.

I think you are correct in insisting on hearing Heritage before you buy.  I love most of the line, but some people think they are too revealing ... some would say "too harsh."  I don't think they are analyzing the situation correctly.  I think it is a certain percentage of CDs that are "too harsh" ... only a very few SACDs and Lp records have that problem, and, so far, very few Blue-rays.  Since you have tubes, your problem may be minimal.

All Heritage could probably benefit from being used with a subwoofer.  Up until recently there was a problem with this.  My subwoofer (Klipsch RSW 15), for instance, needs to be crossed over as low as possible, because it's can't anywhere near match the clarity of the Khorn bass down to the 30s, or the Belle Klipsch (my center channel) bass down to about 60 Hz.  I presume the same would be true in any system that uses main speakers with horn loaded bass.  On the other hand, I need the bass supplementation from the bottom up to the lowest frequency the particular Heritage speaker is good down to.  Now there are several horn loaded subs available, including one by Klipsch.  They should be a better match for Heritage with horn loaded bass.

People say the Jubilee is even better than the Khorn.  Try to find a forum member with a pair to listen to.

Edited by Garyrc

Hey Jim

I'm sure this is going to be no help but on the outside chance your travailing through Chicago anytime soon?

Simply Stereo In NW Chicago has the full heritage line in one room toss in a CD and switch back and forth with the push of a button. 

Not sure if there is anyplace like it anywhere else in the country. There must be I only know of this one for now.

Also my thought given the size of the room go with 5 Heresy III for 2 ch and 5.1 combo. :D

http://www.yelp.com/biz/simply-stereo-hoffman-est

• Like 1

Jim, what kind of music do you listen to, mostly?  What's your listening environment, room size, furniture, etc?  These things make a difference.  Let us know more about your tastes in music and other important factors, and it will be easier for us to help.  Anyone recommending you simply buy a set before listening or considering other factors is bunk, or maybe they are just joking, not sure.

its not bunk and i wasn't kidding. i've bought 40 sets of heritage over the last 25 yrs and i never once heard them until i brought them home. kinda hard to listen to them when you have them shipped across country

what do you need hear. it says klipsch on them. everybody knows, well maybe some people don't

Yea, and I buy cars sight unseen, without even driving them,  They all say Porsche, what else do you need......bunk.

• Like 1

I'd like to look into purchasing something in the Heritage line.

You've had a lot of thoughts.

My 2 cents would be, if you have the corners, you can (yes, blindly) go with Khorns.  If you want to go balls to the wall, you can go Jubilee's.  Of all the Jubilee owners, I'm guessing that about half bought them without ever hearing them first.  Most knew the sound of the Khorn and also knew that PWK had a hand in the design.....and that was enough.

That said, I happened to be one who heard them prior.

Reason I'm mentioning Khorns is, if you have corners, they are the most room efficient speaker that you can buy.

I'd contend that if you took a Heresy, RF, Pioneer HPM 100 or a Radio Shack Mach One, those would ALL take up more usable floor space than the mighty Khorn and, get smoked (in sound) in the process.

I certainly understand wanting to hear something first.  Others have offered and I'll do same.  If you're ever in the Knoxville area, you are more than welcome to come by my place & hear the Jubilee's (I also have LaScalas)

I can almost guarantee you that when you leave, you'll be daydreaming about how many dollars you can come up with...

• Like 4

Coytee is your offer open to other members? April will mark the third year driving in my Abarth to eastern TN (that I bough sight unseen) for another drive on your dragon. (every one needs two hobbies)

I would love to here just 5 minutes on your Jub's if you had the time. It's the same weekend as the trip to Hope, I would really loved to do both but in my Fiat group Bonnie bought the new Alfa 4C and offered me a chance to drive it so Hope will be next time. 

https://www.facebook.com/FiatOnTheDragon

• Like 2

Coytee is your offer open to other members? April will mark the third year driving in my Abarth to eastern TN (that I bough sight unseen) for another drive on your dragon. (every one needs two hobbies)

I would love to here just 5 minutes on your Jub's if you had the time. It's the same weekend as the trip to Hope, I would really loved to do both but in my Fiat group Bonnie bought the new Alfa 4C and offered me a chance to drive it so Hope will be next time. 

https://www.facebook.com/FiatOnTheDragon

Yes, it's open.  To your benefit, I live something like 6-8 miles out of Vonore.  (which I understand is one point of departure for the Dragon trip).  Point being, I don't really live in Knoxville, I'm not that far out of the way from the Dragon.

If your time here is the same weekend as the trip to Hope....and I'm I Hope....that would definitely complicate things.  If I'm NOT in Hope, the answer is people are always welcome.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, for my room size, I don't think anything that size will be able to "breathe" as per other comments on how they need to be placed. That is why I am looking to either do something along the other line of Heritage.

Coytee,not sure yet what day I'm coming down but Sunday the 12th is my check out day and the plan was Harper Auto Square's Cars & Coffee Sunday AM then head home. If your around that day let me know.

Jub's trumps Cars and coffee anytime! LOL Although we hit this last year and had a lot of fun.  

Thanks

-G-

Edited by RagingBullWinkle

Unfortunately, for my room size, I don't think anything that size will be able to "breathe" as per other comments on how they need to be placed. That is why I am looking to either do something along the other line of Heritage.

This is for clarification, not me arguing (matters not to me what someone prefers to listen to)

I once had a pair of Khorns.  My house is a very open floor plan.  As you walk down the steps to the middle floor, you are right in line of the left speaker in the living room.  (there is no door into there, it's just a big opening)

I was at this junction when I simply stopped & listened.  I didn't know what & why but the Khorns sounded distinctly different and distinctly BETTER at this junction.

Couple years later, I got the Jubes which went into the same corner.  It wasn't long until I went to this exact spot (30 feet away from the speaker, I measured) to hear how much better the Jubilee's sounded here.

I was shocked and disappointed when I realized they didn't sound ANY  better here at this 30 foot mark.  What is the deal?

Well....long story made short, the Jubilee's "come together" in about 10 feet.  The Khorns came together in about 30 feet.  Upshot of this is, there is better sound to enjoy IN the room with the Jubilee's than there was with the Khorns.  If you were IN the room with the Khorns, the sound was nice but I learned it got better even further away.

Why was all this?  It is because the Jubilee is a 2-way speaker and the Khorn is a 3-way speaker.  Dropping the crossover point to the tweeter was a far more significant improvement than I had anticipated.

• Like 1

My problem is the room layout of 14 wide. I have a fireplace which is 7 feet wide alone, so  there's only 3.5 feet on either side. I have my rack set up next to my towers now, and on the other side is my cd case. So I wouldn't have enough space to put them even if I get rid of the cd case. So I think the biggest I'd be able to handle is Cornwalls.

Now if I was talking my living room it might be different, but that is where the wife, kids, and their friends hang out mostly. So that's out at this point. The family room is basically my "man cave" area as I work from it, and also listen to music and watch my TV/HT there.

Edited by Jim

My problem is the room layout of 14 wide.

Sounds adequate for K'horns.  I've had them at 14' and now mine are only slightly wider.  PWK's minimum was 12', and even that was simply "optimum" rather than don't bother.

It's certainly important that you have 9' or so from back wall to where you sit. 

Dave

Coytee,

I'm a bit confused. When I type Jubilee into the Klipsch website, it shows a 3-way, both in Current & Discontinued Models.

Would you elaborate, please? Or, should I post this in the Jubilee thread? Thank you.

P.S. Would you post some pics of yours in your Gallery, please?

Edited by Sancho Panza

Coytee,

I'm a bit confused. When I type Jubilee into the Klipsch website, it shows a 3-way, both in Current & Discontinued Models.

Would you elaborate, please? Or, should I post this in the Jubilee thread? Thank you.

P.S. Would you post some pics of yours in your Gallery, please?

Here's the thread of their delivery.  You can see my room with the Khorns in it followed by the Jubilee's.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/73123-the-chronicles-of-the-coyotee-o-and-miketn-khjs-klipschorn-jubilee/page-10

The Jubilee as envisioned by PWK was to be a 2-way speaker.  For cinema use, they made it a 3 way for maximum output.  Please believe me when I tell you the 2-way is WAY more than enough to rip someones head off. 

The 3-way might be fun & cool to have at home but, it's definately not 'required'.

For the 2-way, Roy moved the tweeter driver (K69) from the tweeter horn (K510) and moved it down to the midrange horn (K402)

So most of the Jubilee's in a home are using the Jubilee bass bin, K402 "midrange" horn lens mated with the K69 "tweeter" driver.

Most (not all) are also using an active crossover.

Works rather sufficiently.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

So this is my set up in my family room as we speak. I still don't know if I'd be able to fit anything larger than the width of a Cornwall. I don't know the width of any of the others, but then if I do something like Klipschorn or jubilee, I need to get rid of the towers which is not really an issue. Where will I put my center channel then as I use the fireplace.

post-59264-0-22980000-1421076238_thumb.j

• Like 2

So this is my set up in my family room as we speak. I still don't know if I'd be able to fit anything larger than the width of a Cornwall. I don't know the width of any of the others, but then if I do something like Klipschorn or jubilee, I need to get rid of the towers which is not really an issue. Where will I put my center channel then as I use the fireplace.

Phantom Center!

Roger