On display: Heritage-Inspired Wireless Speakers

Chad

What is April 11th?

The Friends of Paul forum gathering in Hope. 20 to 30 (est) forum members gathering to listen to music, treat the factory workers to a meal and POSSIBLY tour the factory.

This idea just came to me as I was reading this post. I'll bet they are some forum members who would love to be in hope for this event but simply cannot afford to come. So put our names in a hat and draw a winner of an all expenses paid trip to hope for this event and a tour of the factory, awesome idea right!

• Moderators

You guys want specs? I've got specs. :)

The goal was indeed a product that bridges retro with modern. I can't tell you everything about them since what you see here are prototypes, but at a minimum for the towers: 27Hz - 22kHz +/- 2dB while the monitor is 40Hz-22kHz +/-2dB. Tweeters are 1" LTS titanium, midranges are 3" aluminum slot-loaded drivers, and the woofers are 5.25" of a design to let such a small driver dig into the 20s with authority. ;)

-Dave W

So I'm guessing the woofers are similar to the two 5.25" sub-woofers used in the Stadium in order to dig that low?

Did they go with rear Tractrix passive like with the new Reference Premium tower speakers are utilizing?

I think the idea is great. The marker, IMHO, is folks looking to buy a Stadium or similar product. They are swown this as a 2nd option, if you have the room why would you get a Stadium. This is about same price as a Stadium, but you can seperate the speakers to have a good soundstage/center image. It should sound way better than similar soundbar products made for iPhone just as the Stadium does and I am guessing this will soubd even better than a Stadium,

The market would be for those who want convenience of pkaying music from iPhone or other portable but having way better sound than sonus, plug and play soundbars or other products.

I'm sold, if they came out looking like that, made in USA, with those specs, I will take 2 pair.

Travis

This is my semi-informed opinion, but I see these being positioned in a higher-end boutique setting, catered to those who like unique yet classic design, while maintaining ease of use. Again, that's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

AKA, hippies with disposable income.

aka. hipsters.  

uh NO.  What is the difference between me and a hipster?  A- everything. 

• Moderators

This is my semi-informed opinion, but I see these being positioned in a higher-end boutique setting, catered to those who like unique yet classic design, while maintaining ease of use. Again, that's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

AKA, hippies with disposable income.

aka. hipsters.

uh NO. What is the difference between me and a hipster? A- everything.

Yeah I don't see you being a hipster at all Michael, but not a hippie either. THEBES is for sure a hippie.

Travis

post-13028-0-63060000-1420873595_thumb.j

Edited by dwilawyer

You guys want specs? I've got specs. :)

The goal was indeed a product that bridges retro with modern. I can't tell you everything about them since what you see here are prototypes, but at a minimum for the towers: 27Hz - 22kHz +/- 2dB while the monitor is 40Hz-22kHz +/-2dB. Tweeters are 1" LTS titanium, midranges are 3" aluminum slot-loaded drivers, and the woofers are 5.25" of a design to let such a small driver dig into the 20s with authority. ;)

-Dave W

So I'm guessing the woofers are similar to the two 5.25" sub-woofers used in the Stadium in order to dig that low?

Did they go with rear Tractrix passive like with the new Reference Premium tower speakers are utilizing?

I think the idea is great. The marker, IMHO, is folks looking to buy a Stadium or similar product. They are swown this as a 2nd option, if you have the room why would you get a Stadium. This is about same price as a Stadium, but you can seperate the speakers to have a good soundstage/center image. It should sound way better than similar soundbar products made for iPhone just as the Stadium does and I am guessing this will soubd even better than a Stadium,

The market would be for those who want convenience of pkaying music from iPhone or other portable but having way better sound than sonus, plug and play soundbars or other products.

I'm sold, if they came out looking like that, made in USA, with those specs, I will take 2 pair.

Travis

Can't tell you any details, only that the woofers use the Stadium woofer performance as a base, but the driver is tailored to this specific application. As was said about "where is that low end coming from?", these need to have the ability to dig deep with control like Stadium. Difference is that these have to dig deeper, and be ultimately louder than Stadium.

You'll just have to wait and see what other morsels of information we feel like dangling in your face. :)

• Like 1

After reading the whole thread... my $0.02

Really, really love the way all of them look (the floorstanders). Particularly the dark cabinets with the light/cane colored grills. The driver compliment, styling, etc are big positives.

BUT, like several others, I have no need nor do I want, powered/active speakers... from Klipsch or anyone else.

As a current LaScala owner (3 pair in my 5.1 setup) my "upgrade path" would either be towards new LaScala 2's or possibly towards a JubScala type setup with Pro/Cinema subs (KPT-684). However in my other living room I have KLF-20's and CF-1's (2 Channel). And it would be great if these "Heritage-Inspired" speakers were available as an upgrade. But, again, the powered/active aspect kind of ruins it for me, since the main equipment is older stereo receivers.

It may seem like a foreign concept to those in the product development and marketing departments. But many people still have dedicated systems, with 20-40 year old equipment, where they walk over to a rack/cabinet, pick up a CD/record, and then que it up to listen... all the way through.

In fact, for me (and other than the Heritage LaScalas I've purchased in the last 6 years or so), there hasn't been a line of Klipsch speakers that I've really wanted to purchase since the KLF and Epic CF series.

Though there has also been Forte II, Chorus II and Heresy versions along the way. The other Klipsch lines (Reference, Icon, Gallery, etc. of recent years) just didn't seem to be worthy as an upgrade over the KLF's and Chorus II's.

Back to the new "Heritage-Inspired" line being shown and some of the comments made... I just don't see how you market a $1500-$3000 set of speakers to people, looking for the convenience, of being able to wirelessly play music (mostly lossy and compressed) from their ipods, phones or other streaming type devices?

And saying they're based off of the "Stadium" seems to do them a disservice as well. Because I don't know anyone that would pay $2000 for a powered speaker, that you can move/carry around your house.. so you can have music in the kitchen or bathroom? Maybe that's just me?

If these speakers were made as shown... What kind of guarantee is Klipsch going to provide related to the amps and all the electronics? What if 5 years down the road the WiSA standard completely changes or goes away?

Lastly, I wonder how much LESS these new speakers would potentially cost, if you removed all of the amps, DSP and WiSA related electronics and replaced them with a passive crossover?

One could hope, but it probably ain't gonna happen...

Edited by gpbusa
  • Like 2

• Moderators

One thing to look at is the wireless system allows for absolute minimum equipments. No receiver, no CD player, no cables, no entertainment cabinet. Simply two speakers and a bluetooth source.

Of course this isn't for everyone. I don't think these are necessarily made to be upgrades for heritage owners. This imply is the "feel" of heritage combined with the convenience through technology.

• Like 1

BUT, like several others, I have no need nor do I want, powered/active speakers... from Klipsch or anyone else.

As a current LaScala owner (3 pair in my 5.1 setup) my "upgrade path" would either be towards new LaScala 2's or possibly towards a JubScala type setup with Pro/Cinema subs (KPT-684). However in my other living room I have KLF-20's and CF-1's (2 Channel). And it would be great if these "Heritage-Inspired" speakers were available as an upgrade. But, again, the powered/active aspect kind of ruins it for me, since the main equipment is older stereo receivers.

It may seem like a foreign concept to those in the product development and marketing departments. But many people still have dedicated systems, with 20-40 year old equipment, where they walk over to a rack/cabinet, pick up a CD/record, and then que it up to listen... all the way through.

We are not just going to push out products that cover the same people over and over. You have viable upgrade options with both the La Scala and the Cornwall. We have not forgotten about the people with systems like yours. We still make plenty of good options for those folks.

Back to the new "Heritage-Inspired" line being shown and some of the comments made... I just don't see how you market a $1500-$3000 set of speakers to people, looking for the convenience, of being able to wirelessly play music (mostly lossy and compressed) from their ipods, phones or other streaming type devices?

We can no longer just make great speakers for audiophiles and speaker nerds. As far as market goes, you gotta remember there are people out there who pay over $1000 for shoes and over $300 for denim. There is an absolutely massive high-end market for just about anything. 

In order to survive, Klipsch needs to find a new market outside of these forums and those who go to boutique audio dealers. We need to constantly find new ways to compete especially with Beats, Bose, JBL, etc throwing INSANE amounts of money to the low-end.

Like it or not, wireless is the future and Klipsch needs to be at the forefront at providing amazing audio solutions. These speakers were never intended to replace anything from the Heritage line whether it be Fortes, Chorus, or Heresys. They are something totally new but using some inspiration from the Heritage speakers.

It's never going to be called "Heritage" so maybe we should all just call them "Made in USA Wireless Concept Speakers" for now.

And saying they're based off of the "Stadium" seems to do them a disservice as well. Because I don't know anyone that would pay $2000 for a powered speaker, that you can move/carry around your house.. so you can have music in the kitchen or bathroom? Maybe that's just me?

I'm not sure you have heard Stadium or know too much about it. You don't move it. It's one of our very best products in 15 years. It's sound is downright ridiculous. Ask the engineers.

If these speakers were made as shown... What kind of guarantee is Klipsch going to provide related to the amps and all the electronics? What if 5 years down the road the WiSA standard completely changes or goes away?

Lastly, I wonder how much LESS these new speakers would potentially cost, if you removed all of the amps, DSP and WiSA related electronics and replaced them with a passive crossover?

One could hope, but it probably ain't gonna happen...

WISA will definitely exist then, but let's just say it doesn't..the speakers are still going to work the same way and kick ***. They don't just stop working. WISA isn't a replacement for Bluetooth. WISA is just the way the two speakers talk to each other. WISA is not a source connectivity option like an input/bluetooth/airplay.

These will not be made into passive options. We have enough passive options out there. We are a small company that can only support so many SKUs. It would be fun to make an option for everyone, but that's not possible.

BTW, we really do appreciate your two cents! If I came away curt, it was not my intention. I just wanted to answer your concerns, point by point to the best of my abilities.

• Like 2

• Moderators

What is April 11th?

The Friends of Paul forum gathering in Hope.  20 to 30 (est) forum members gathering to listen to music, treat the factory workers to a meal and POSSIBLY tour the factory.

I thought April 11th was the date Klipsch Moderators are to receive a set of these wireless speakers for Beta Testing.  :D

What is April 11th?

The Friends of Paul forum gathering in Hope.  20 to 30 (est) forum members gathering to listen to music, treat the factory workers to a meal and POSSIBLY tour the factory.

I thought April 11th was the date Klipsch Moderators are to receive a set of these wireless speakers for Beta Testing.  :D

Yes, please.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sign me up Alex.  Not only will you get first hand consumer feedback, Youthman's classic review, but you will also get Youthman's photos of the new speakers as a bonus! :D:lol: 

Search Google for Klipsch RSW-15 or Klipsch RF and you will see quite a few of my photos from the forums.  I'm still surprised how many photos I've taken of Klipsch speakers I've owned over the years.

speaker-list.jpg

• Like 1

Search Google for Klipsch RSW-15 or Klipsch RF and you will see quite a few of my photos from the forums.  I'm still surprised how many photos I've taken of Klipsch speakers I've owned over the years.

Yes, and his system and photos have be presented on Klipsch's Facebook page.  

Search Google for Klipsch RSW-15 or Klipsch RF and you will see quite a few of my photos from the forums. I'm still surprised how many photos I've taken of Klipsch speakers I've owned over the years.

Yes, and his system and photos have be presented on Klipsch's Facebook page.
Free Advertising for klipsch!

And they look Awesome!

Edited by Jeff Penley

I had the pleasure of meeting Alex L., Klipsch employee and forum member at the CES. He was very enthusiastic about the Heritage line, the beautiful "Made in USA Wireless Concept Speakers", and the new Reference Premiere speakers as he demonstrated all the different exhibits. Alex impressed me as a dedicated, hard working representative of the Klipsch speaker company, and a good ambassador to the forum community.

I also had the honor of meeting Klipsch historian Jim Hunter. He shared some interesting historical comments and played some tunes through a vintage tube amp connected to the 1947 Klipschorn. Right around the corner was the current Khorn, La Scala II, Cornwall III and Heresy III display.

The Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers are a great new product for people wanting high quality sound at a fairly reasonable price. (I am referring to normal people, not extraordinary forum members with custom built systems and / or extravagant expectations, although you might like them as do many listeners.) The Klipsch speakers have a clean powerful sound that I would easily recommend to someone shopping for loudspeakers.

post-58241-0-16720000-1421024460_thumb.j

• Like 1