On display: Heritage-Inspired Wireless Speakers

Chad

So these speakers have no passive crossover and instead use DSP electronics for crossover, EQ, delay, and gain............and the setup is then tri-amped?

You may be right although I didn't glean that from the description.  If that's the case, they become more interesting. 

So these speakers have no passive crossover and instead use DSP electronics for crossover, EQ, delay, and gain............and the setup is then tri-amped?

This is separate from the WISA portion, no?

You may be right although I didn't glean that from the description.  If that's the case, they become more interesting. 

These speakers are 100% active. Zero passive components. All DSP, all day long. And yes, this is separate from the WiSA portion.

And yes, you are correct. There are 3 discrete channels of amplification: tweeter, mid, woofers. :)

Edited by DaveWJr
  • Like 2

Wow...........I apologize for my initial reactions.  Love the looks but also absolutely love the guts.  This is very cool.  Basically taking an active DSP speaker processor and putting in the speaker with the amps.  I really like the idea of this.  I'd like to hear how detailed it goes.

OK.............so what else don't we know? :)

Why didn't you just tell us all this good stuff from the beginning? :)

Is there a Klipsch app to control them?

Is there an ability to interact with the DSP and alter the speaker active settings.............or this burned into a chip............or do you need the special Klipsch tools that we will never see?

Access to the DSP would be almost essential, at least for users who eq for their particular environments.  Haven't met a room yet that didn't benefit from a bit of bass eq.

Klipsch is on the right track with these.  I'm the epitome of the used Heritage cheapskate, and I would give these a serious look.  

• Like 1

Can you imagine a DIY project adding this technology to a lascala or Khorn?  Sky is the limit............this is doable.  Actually many of us have in the form of a giant active system with lots of components.  This could all disappear.

you had me at cane grilles!

Ha!  Told ya.  Mikey likes it!  :D

'cept I would go totally old school and put walnut or oak with cane. Hmm cherry was a heritage color as of late...  would these be real wood veneers? I like my speakers to resemble furniture. 

This is separate from the WISA portion, no?

These speakers are 100% active. Zero passive components. All DSP, all day long. And yes, this is separate from the WiSA portion.

And yes, you are correct. There are 3 discrete channels of amplification: tweeter, mid, woofers. :)

You definitely have my attention. Yes definitely RCA inputs for those of us who don't trust the ether entirely. Whole 'nother market for cheap! 

Edited by colterphoto1

Well, these are just a concept for now. Therefore, we don't have specs and what you are seeing here isn't necessarily what the final product would be like if we ever do put them out. 

That said, when we say "Stadium technology", we mean top of the line sound in a wireless package. If you've had a chance to listen to a Stadium speaker, you'd get an idea of what that means. 

I wish we had more to tell you guys. I personally really hope we get enough interest from dealers and customers to put more work into them and make them a reality.

[raises hand]  volunteers for Alpha test! 

So... y'alll know this is VERY preliminary, right?  OK.  But it never hurts to have good interest here... it can translate to dealer demand, which is ultimately what makes programs live or die.

Also, a couple of you mentioned paper cones.  HOORAY for YOU!  But probably not... I wish.  The prototypes are cerametallic.

3 discrete channels of amplification

D class?

Yes.  Right now, same power per driver as the Stadium... but with 4x the woofers, well... you get the idea...

Any chance of having a pair of these up and running in Hope the weekend of April 11'th?

What is April 11th?

Basically taking an active DSP speaker processor and putting in the speaker with the amps.

Also DSP in the transmitter to do multichannel surround decoding.

OK.............so what else don't we know? :)Why didn't you just tell us all this good stuff from the beginning? :)Is there a Klipsch app to control them? Is there an ability to interact with the DSP and alter the speaker active settings.............or this burned into a chip............or do you need the special Klipsch tools that we will never see?

Access to the DSP would be almost essential, at least for users who eq for their particular environments.  Haven't met a room yet that didn't benefit from a bit of bass eq.

Klipsch is on the right track with these.  I'm the epitome of the used Heritage cheapskate, and I would give these a serious look.  

Slow down :)  We don't  know yet either.  The transmitter has a IR remote for setup/control.  App?  I can't say.  And that's all I should say.  Very expensive, high schedule risk, and very little value added (meaning, nobody wants to pay extra for an app), so the decision is mostly a financial one - can we charge enough for the speaker to cover the cost of development.  We also see the other side of the coin too.  Is a product like this expected to have an App?

Like most things now, the DSP is flash based, so with the right tools and software, it's possible.  Would that be available... very doubtful.  I agree about the bass EQ being very helpful, I know it was nice to have in the Stadium.

Any possibility of RCA inputs to go along with the wireless connectivity?   I'm thinking tube pre-amp to the speakers :)

The transmitter has an analog 3.5mm input.  It could just as easily be RCA if PD though it was worth the extra space.

But you were probably talking about  RCA's on the speakers themselves to bypass the wireless.  That's harder to do (and more expensive because of additional components).  Also if the WiSA system has a subwoofer in it, you would have to go through the transmitter to incorporate that (or again, another cost adder).

But why would you want to add all the noise and distortion of a tube pre??? :D

Can you imagine a DIY project adding this technology to a lascala or Khorn?  Sky is the limit............this is doable.  Actually many of us have in the form of a giant active system with lots of components.  This could all disappear.

Already done.  A pair of Cornwalls.  (Just a mono amp, stock crossover.)  Some of us engineers have been wanting to do powered/wireless stuff that could be used on existing speakers... the problem is that the market for that is seen as being too small and advertising dollars are already tight.  But if it's something that is already 80-90% ready from something in production already on another product, who knows.

Yes, it could all disappear.  And don't forget that the people who own the music and movies would really like it to all disappear.  MP3 sales are already going down as people move to cloud based services where you rent your music.  It's the Gillette razor model - why sell them a razor they can sharpen over and over when I can sell them a razor that they have to buy every week.

'cept I would go totally old school and put walnut or oak with cane. Hmm cherry was a heritage color as of late...  would these be real wood veneers? I like my speakers to resemble furniture. 

What is shown is real wood veneer.