How high is too high for your TV?

substance-p

I'm aware that the sweet spot for a display device is where your eyes are centered on the screen; however, as screens get larger and my center channel (RC-64) is no light weight, I'm struggling to get a low enough placement for my screen and still have my center below it. I know I could mount the 64 above a TV, but that got vetoed.

I wondered how high some of my fellow klipsch fans had their devices, especially since some of you are running even larger centers. Currently, my remodel would have a 32" high shelf for a TV

• Moderators

I know for projection screens, they suggest as long as your eyes are in the bottom 1/3 of the display, you are fine.  With my current screen, my eyes are in line with the very bottom of my screen and it works great.  When I recline my seats, my eyes are naturally looking slightly upwards anyways.  I've never once felt the screen was too high.  Hope that helps.

I'd consider eye angle as well as eye level. I always watch from my recliners so have my 42" plasma up a bit higher than most. Actually mine sits on an old stand for 35" tube tv, with a KLF-C7 on top of that. When seated, my eyes are 46" from the floor, which I've just measured is the exact center of my screen. I'd like it up another foot higher. 

The bottom edge of my main screen is almost 5' up which is way too high.  You really have to lay back in your seat to view comfortably.  

I made the mistake of buying a large TV cabinet around 15 years ago.  My wife's idea was to buy a smaller TV that would actually fit in the cabinet.  I built shelves that I could slide in where the TV would go and set the new one on top of the cabinet.  It's nice to have the additional storage but looking up is a pain in the neck. 

The center can always be lower as long as its tilted up to point at the listener , I ran into the same issue and was going to mount it above the TV but never got around to it . Now I have a projector with a smaller center under it .... but I also have the issue when I recline my focus is off on the screen . I plan on fixing this whole issue soon and installing 3 L/C/R in walls behind the screen . Im just waiting to see if I am buting another home soon .

I've got a 73" DLP, so no a lot of mounting options. My head is right at the center of the screen and I ran an RC-7 underneath (basically on the floor) angled upwards to the listening position with positive results. After i sold it, I ditched the center entirely and simply run a phantom center with my mains just a few inches lower than screen center and it's much clearer and precise than my RC-7 ever was down in the sub-optimal position.

For my theater my eyes are dead center maybe just below it. My 70" elite TV is mounted over my fireplace but we don't sit and watch we usually are standing in the kitchen or at the breakfast table or counter top so about 15 to 30 feet away. I believe distance may play a factor into how high you may like it.

Most people put it up to high to be honest, but I'm talking about guys who mount it above the mantle above the fireplace. That's too high, especially with standard couches. I don't know who started this but its not good. Most hobbyists know better but I see it all the time outside of that scene.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

and btw, a TV should never be mounted over a fireplace mantle. that most certainly is too high.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Yea, my electrician insisted on putting power outlet and cable hookup over the mantle in the family room when I built my house a few years back. And I said 'why?, this ain't no Sports Bar'. And I insisted he put another along the wall where the TV/HT are now as I always intended. But for a future owner the hook up is there if they want.

My dad’s is like that, used to be above the mantle but then he took the mantle down. He had everybody over for Christmas and decided to fire up the fireplace then go cook. I had to go tell him that his TV was about to melt. It was HOT.

I have one almost that high, but it’s in my bedroom. Perfect height to lay on my back with my head on a pillow and watch TV. I got funny looks when I ran Ethernet cable and an outlet right there but it looks nice now.