Superdave's HT Build

Superdave

Hi Folks,

Well, this is my first post and I'm hoping to get some sense of direction concerning a 7.2 system.

My equipment on hand so far is a Pre/Pro Marantz AV7702, Emotiva XPA-7, (2) Klipsch R-28F, (2) Klipsch Icon KF-28, (2) Klipsch R-15M, (2) Sunfire HRS12 (Subwoofers). All of the equipment is still in boxes, not installed yet. Note: I will be installing 4 ceiling speakers as well, but currently more focused on the 7 speakers on the floor.

Audio equipment still needed/ desired = Center: Klipsch RC-64 II or Sunfire CRS-3C. I will aslo end up purchasing (2) more subwoofers

So, let me try and paint the picture. The room size that the speakers will be placed in is 2760 cubic feet  (15 x 23 x 8). This room is open to a additional room that is 2560 cuft., so total combined area is 5320cuft. (Please see the attached layout for visual reference)

This multi-purpose room will be used primarily for viewing movies/tv and some music, rock/ jazz when my wife is out. :)

My plan is/was to use the R-28F's as the mains, use the R-15M's as the side surrounds, and the Icon KF-28's as the rear surrounds. My main concern is did I make a mistake in purchasing the R-15M's and the Icon's to be used as the surrounds

Also, please feel free to give your opinion on the center speaker perference.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thank you.

post-60616-0-98020000-1420679995_thumb.j

Edited by Superdave
  • Like 1

The R-28 and KF-28 are the same speakers just different cabinets. Use them as fronts and side surrounds and the R-15's as rear surrounds. The RC 64 is a totally different speaker with Titanium tweeters and a different driver and the speakers you purchased have Aluminum tweeters. If you do keep the 28's go with a SC-20 as they are all basically the Synergy line and the SC-20 is the better of the center channels. The Synergy center will play better with the 28's than the RC-64,but the 64 is a totally different animal. Synergy, ICON, and the new Reference Series are all basically the same speakers with a slight variation in the cabinet,color, and a very slight variation with the crossovers. The Reference ll and Reference line are different from the new Reference line in a Best Buy type store.The new has the letter for the speaker after the number (R-28F) and RC-64ll is the other line.

Others on here will say return everything for an upgraded system, but if mostly watching movies, they do more than an ample job. I have the KF ICON Series for my mains and surrounds and have the C-20  as my center as it was a better center than the ICON is.

If however money is no issue,maybe look at the Reference ll line for the mains and side surrounds as well as rear surrounds. I think the RF-82ll would be the comparable size wattage as what you purchased but they have upgraded crossover tweeter and a different type driver.The the 64 would be a good fit.

Edited by Jim

• Moderators
Synergy, ICON, and the new Reference Series are all basically the same speakers with a slight variation in the cabinet,color, and a very slight variation with the crossovers.

I'm confused by this statement.  Just curious if you have heard those three side by side. 

I have had all 3,and actually still have the KF-28's mixed with the SC-20. Look at my signature below for my family room.  I previewed the KF-28's and R-28F together and purchased the KF's because they were on sale as a display for $150.00 per speaker. Lot less than Best Buy's price for the R-28F, so I took the ICON's

I also still have the older Synergy line, the KSB line.

Edited by Jim

My apologies.  I was thinking Reference II when you mentioned Reference.  When you mentioned R-28F, I was thinking RF-82ii.

I can see how the new Reference speakers , Synergy & Icons could sound similar. 

That's fine, that was why I also put in my comment to make sure he knew where the letters were as the "new" reference have the letter after the number, and the original reference has only the number basically,discounting the ii.

My apologies.  I was thinking Reference II when you mentioned Reference.  When you mentioned R-28F, I was thinking RF-82ii.

I can see how the new Reference speakers , Synergy & Icons could sound similar. 

Not only should they sound similar, the Icons and the new "Reference"s should sound damned near identical.

I've read around here that the Synergy line was a little better than both of them, though.

Superdave has a nearly perfectly matching system. I thought I read somewhere that the rear surrounds deal with more bass more often, so maybe the Icons would work better as rear surrounds?

• Like 1

The Synergy line depending on which speakers are talked about are slightly better than others in the ICON Line. 

As per Klipsch when I called them their exact words were the new Reference line is just the ICONS repainted. The Synergy crossover was slightly better than ICON but they used the same exact drivers and tweeters. Certain types of music on my ICON's sound extremely nice, as nice as my Reference speakers, but others sound flat. Movies sound nice on them all around,and I was actually told by Klipsch they geared the ICON's towards HT more than music.

Some of you will remember when I joined the forum I had purchased a set of the ICONS, a set of KG 3.5's, and a set of RF-25's within a few months of each other, and was looking to see which speakers to get rid of as I was going to get rid of my KSB series speakers. I kept the ICON and RF series as they were easier to piece together and finished off both. For the OP, as I stated, if you are doing more on movies the ICONS should do well for you,and play with the set up on ICONS as side surrounds and rear surrounds. I personally don't get as much feedback on my rears as my side surrounds as there isn't enough stuff available in 7.1,unless you're online watching movies through online programming.

In my neck of the woods, my cable company has crap with programming and most everything is 5.1 at most. So I focus on my 5.1 set up with my rear surrounds and front effects as the low man on the totem pole. If you have different, then the 28's in the rear should work out better, if you listen to music in "7 channel stereo" they will do well in the rear also. If not,I'd put them at the side. Just my opinion as I did have my KG 3.5's as rear surrounds for a little while until I finished off my system. So my ICON system includes the 28's as mains, KS-14's and side/rear surrounds, KB-15's as front effects (due to room layout), and my Synergy SC-20 as my center as its more powerful than the ICON or new Reference lines and has better crossovers. And I originally was going to get the Synergy F-20 and F-30's but when I saw the difference in pricing with them and the new Reference, I jumped on the ICON's. It would have cost me 2x's the money for Synergy, and 3x's for the Reference.

It will take awhile to get used to the new model numbers

With speakers liker the ones you have, I wouldn't know the newer lines either. No real need to.

Matt, one thing I think the ICON,Synergy,New Reference line have over the old Reference line is the "vinyl veneer". The old Reference seem to be more like wallpaper covering them and they tend to bubble up, where the newer lines have a better covering on them.

Edited by Jim

Hate to be the Debbie downer but the only mistake you made was buying the r-28f, the kf-28, r-15, and sunfire subs. All of these Klipsch are their low end models. And if you payed full retail you can get the ref ii stuff on close out now.

Let me ask this? You have a huge space! Do you have to have small speakers and subs. Even four of those subs are gonna struggle to fill a room that size. What's your budget? Can you return stuff you bought?

We can steer you in so much better of a direction. You need some serious speakers and subs in a room that big if you an exciting experience. I have been through a ton of speakers over the last few years searching for the right ones. To me you made a bunch if wrong choices. But hey so did I when I first started. I would have saved so much money and time had I turned here first

• Like 1

Also welcome! Sorry for my brutal answer. But I am an honest guy and I'm here to help people out. If it hurts anyone's feelings I'm sorry. I only try to help people learn from my mistakes. You have a big room, a descent budget seems like and a good goal! Just feel like you could use some better guidance in your choices on speakers. If you answer my questions in my other post I can give you some more advice. Have a good one. I'm going to sleep.

Hate to be the Debbie downer but the only mistake you made was buying the r-28f, the kf-28, r-15, and sunfire subs. All of these Klipsch are their low end models. And if you payed full retail you can get the ref ii stuff on close out now.

Let me ask this? You have a huge space! Do you have to have small speakers and subs. Even four of those subs are gonna struggle to fill a room that size. What's your budget? Can you return stuff you bought?

We can steer you in so much better of a direction. You need some serious speakers and subs in a room that big if you an exciting experience. I have been through a ton of speakers over the last few years searching for the right ones. To me you made a bunch if wrong choices. But hey so did I when I first started. I would have saved so much money and time had I turned here first

Hi Scrappydue,

No worries. I didn't pay full price, half off on the R-28F's and R-15M's, and even less on the KF-28's. I could potential take them back as I have until Jan. 15th.

I do want to keep the (2) Sunfire subs. I'm not (mind-set) locked into purchasing 2 more sunfires, I'm open to suggestions.

So, please steer me in a better direction and I'll see if I can flip the bill on them. Thanks.

And thanks to the other members as well for direction/ input!

Ok I personally would see what you could get a set if rf-82ii or rf-62ii for. Then see what you can get the rc-62ii for. If your dead set in the rc-64ii then I'd bump mains up the rf-7ii. You want matching tweeters in your front three. It's important. I personally do not feel the rc-64ii is worth it's asking price so my favorite center for dollar for dollar performance is the rc-62ii.

For surrounds it sounds like you like direct firing so I'd go with 4 RB-61ii. Front ported so can mount flush with the wall. Lots of output for their size.

And as far as subs there is a law that states you can have two of three things. The three thing being:

Extension, spl, and size.

So sunfire has always shot for extension and size. You bought a small sub that goes low. There for it gives up spl. You have a huge room, and to me your giving up the most important thing you need in a big room. You'd be better off with a couple 15" powered subs than 4 small subs any day of the week.

Something without going crazy on price to look at would be the psa xv-15, hsu vtf-15h, Svs PB-2000. Those are all similarly priced, great warranties, and will walk circles around your sunfires. ONLY DIFFERENCE, they are monsters in size compared to what you have. But if you have a good size room a couple of nice subs will disappear after a month or two of owning them. You'll get over big stuff after a while. I still remember I boxing my first rc-64. It was ginormous. Now it just seems like a regular center when I see them. Same with my 18's. But now they look like 12's to me. They are just normal size to me lol

Superdave,

I would worst case scenario, set up the speakers a few different ways before returning them. Play with them for a few days and if you don't get the sound you want, return them. It will at least give you a feel for the different types of sound they are going to give. The Titanium tweeters are going to be brighter than Aluminum, so depending on your musical tastes the upgraded speakers may not be a match for your ears, the aluminum might not match well either.

I have 3 separate variations of Klipsch lines and for me the titanium tweeters at times are a bit much when I listen to music. I lean more towards a warmer softer sounding silk dome tweeter which could be from having them so long so my ears are used to it, or just because that's what I like. The Aluminum are somewhere in between depending on the type of music I'm listening to. I will say though as per my phone conversations with Klipsch, the new reference and the icon series were and are geared more towards HT and not music as some of the other brands within Klipsch are.

If you keep the sunfires, try to get 2 more of the same ones, or at least the same sized drivers as they will be easier to do the EQ on them.If you like the sound on the others with this mix, you can save the extra money and put it towards the subs. My family room is set up 9.2 and my room size is 2688 cf. I have 2 10" no name brand subs with my set up and it abuts my kitchen and has 7 windows 2 doors.The loudest I can listen is about 2/3 of the volume and it shakes everything. If you have the speakers toed in towards your main listening position it should focus more sound towards where you're sitting, granted the open areas will still be a factor, but you should still be able to get a nice sounding set up. 

At this point also for me, In don't have the disposable income I used to have, so I am somewhat limited on what I can and can't do. Had it been a few years ago,I may have followed what Scrappydue is saying to do, but at this point I have to piece things together. Best part of it is you get several different views.

Scrappydue, I could probably swing the RF-82ii's, but not the 7's. As far as the surrounds (Side & Rear) are concerned, I'm wanting to create a very good sense of despersion (for movie sound effects) and really don't know which type of speaker will give that result, please advise if the RB-61ii is the best option (direct firing) or should I look into angular dual speakers with a horn tweeter per cabinet (hope this makes sense)?

Hi Jim,
I would love to get the gear out and test it but the rooms are not ready yet. Construction is currently underway as I type this out. Completion estimated for mid Feb.

I would follow Scarppydue then,if funds are available and you don't have the availability to listen. Especially since the speakers are going on a discounted basis. There are several on here also that have people you can buy that will ship and may even be able to give you better pricing.

Edited by Jim