Superdave's HT Build

Superdave

I would follow Scarppydue then,if funds are available and you don't have the availability to listen. Especially since the speakers are going on a discounted basis. There are several on here also that have people you can buy that will ship and may even be able to give you better pricing.

Thank you Jim!

As far as the surrounds (Side & Rear) are concerned, I'm wanting to create a very good sense of despersion (for movie sound effects) and really don't know which type of speaker will give that result, please advise if the RB-61ii is the best option (direct firing) or should I look into angular dual speakers with a horn tweeter per cabinet (hope this makes sense)?

I'd recommend either the RS-52 II or 62 II for side surrounds if that's the case and the RB-61 II for the rear surrounds.  The keyword you used is "dispersion" - that's exactly what the RS series are designed for, and the purpose of side surrounds.  The rear surrounds should be effectively direct radiating. The sides should be wide-dispersion.

• Like 1

Just to confuse you even more, the new Atmos recommendations are to have direct radiating surrounds, preferably the same height and even the same speaker as the mains. Otherwise yeah read what Ibiza just wrote.

Personally I prefer lower direct radiating on everything. I have tried it both ways and I like the more seamless integration and more obvious and full range sound of towers. The dipole/bipoles are great for ambience, such as road noise or concert audiences, but when you get a strong and obvious source such as gunfire or powerful guitars, I would rather have towers at the same height as the mains myself. More movies seem to be doing this, and the Dolby Atmos guys will flat out say that's what the goal is.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

The thing with Dolby Atmos is that the direct radiator fire toward the ceiling and down from the ceiling.  Due to floor space issues and placement I will most likely do ceiling speakers.  It is just more practical.  The recommendations to get a Reference II system is a solid one.  The other system will work fine but, for a little more money get the best.

Just to confuse you even more, the new Atmos recommendations are to have direct radiating surrounds, preferably the same height and even the same speaker as the mains. Otherwise yeah read what Ibiza just wrote.

Personally I prefer lower direct radiating on everything. I have tried it both ways and I like the more seamless integration and more obvious and full range sound of towers. The dipole/bipoles are great for ambience, such as road noise or concert audiences, but when you get a strong and obvious source such as gunfire or powerful guitars, I would rather have towers at the same height as the mains myself. More movies seem to be doing this, and the Dolby Atmos guys will flat out say that's what the goal is.

That's just great, now I am really confused. I usually don't have a drink this early...

As you had eluded to, my system will consist of the Atmos setup utilizing (4) in-celing speakers.

That's just great, now I am really confused. I usually don't have a drink this early...

As you had eluded to, my system will consist of the Atmos setup utilizing (4) in-celing speakers.

Used to people relied on elevated surrounds to achieve height such as with an airplane flying overhead. That's how the current most popular model came about. That's not necessary when you have ceiling / up-firing / height speakers, those are what provides the height and you have a bunch more control. All the new Atmos recommendations are that your actual surrounds (not talking about the up-firing part) are direct radiating monopoles at the same height as your fronts. Having the traditional bipoles that are elevated is not correct for Atmos. It will work but that's not what they recommend.

So, basically what Scrappydue recommends and of course based on my budgetary means:

Mains: RF-82 II

Center: RC-62 II

Side Surrounds: RB-61 II (at ear height)

Rear Surrounds: RB-61 II (at ear height)

I'll get more/larger subs once I get this plan underway.

Does this sound like a much better package/ plan than what I currently have?

Also, how do I insert a picture into these "reply" post? I want to show an actual picture of the rooms.

• Like 1

Side Surrounds: RB-61 II (at ear height) Rear Surrounds: RB-61 II (at ear height)

Maybe about 2.0 to 2.5 feet above ear height.

Bill

bill I think you and I are behind on the atmos train. Metro said they reccommed all speakers to be level all the way around if doing atmos setup. I can't comment on this as I have read nothing about atmos and have zero desire for atmos. Until 90% of content is in it I just don't care.
  • Like 1

Thank you. It is so close to being finished. We have been wating on the custom cabinets for 5 weeks now and that has been the stall in this project. Once the cabinets are in, then the trim and tile can be fiinished, then granite countertops, then paint, plumbing fixtures, then electrical components. It's been a fun project and can't wait to set-up the audio/ video room, that's what keeps me going!

The Synergy line depending on which speakers are talked about are slightly better than others in the ICON Line. 

As per Klipsch when I called them their exact words were the new Reference line is just the ICONS repainted. The Synergy crossover was slightly better than ICON but they used the same exact drivers and tweeters. Certain types of music on my ICON's sound extremely nice, as nice as my Reference speakers, but others sound flat. Movies sound nice on them all around,and I was actually told by Klipsch they geared the ICON's towards HT more than music.

Some of you will remember when I joined the forum I had purchased a set of the ICONS, a set of KG 3.5's, and a set of RF-25's within a few months of each other, and was looking to see which speakers to get rid of as I was going to get rid of my KSB series speakers. I kept the ICON and RF series as they were easier to piece together and finished off both. For the OP, as I stated, if you are doing more on movies the ICONS should do well for you,and play with the set up on ICONS as side surrounds and rear surrounds. I personally don't get as much feedback on my rears as my side surrounds as there isn't enough stuff available in 7.1,unless you're online watching movies through online programming.

In my neck of the woods, my cable company has crap with programming and most everything is 5.1 at most. So I focus on my 5.1 set up with my rear surrounds and front effects as the low man on the totem pole. If you have different, then the 28's in the rear should work out better, if you listen to music in "7 channel stereo" they will do well in the rear also. If not,I'd put them at the side. Just my opinion as I did have my KG 3.5's as rear surrounds for a little while until I finished off my system. So my ICON system includes the 28's as mains, KS-14's and side/rear surrounds, KB-15's as front effects (due to room layout), and my Synergy SC-20 as my center as its more powerful than the ICON or new Reference lines and has better crossovers. And I originally was going to get the Synergy F-20 and F-30's but when I saw the difference in pricing with them and the new Reference, I jumped on the ICON's. It would have cost me 2x's the money for Synergy, and 3x's for the Reference.

It will take awhile to get used to the new model numbers

With speakers liker the ones you have, I wouldn't know the newer lines either. No real need to.

Matt, one thing I think the ICON,Synergy,New Reference line have over the old Reference line is the "vinyl veneer". The old Reference seem to be more like wallpaper covering them and they tend to bubble up, where the newer lines have a better covering on them.

I love it. Some people over at the avs forum swear that the new reference line sound a lot better than the old Icons they had. Yet even klipsch says they are the same speaker re painted lmao. 

A pair of RF-82 II just purchased and awaiting shipment! :D 

I'm my own worst enemy. I know Scrappydue suggested that I go with a RC-62II, but for some dang reason I want the RC-64II or the new RP-450C. Someone please bring me to my senses!

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but speaking specifically about the centers themselves, I'm pretty sure Scrappy doesn't like it based on the bang for the buck, not that it is bad.  He doesn't think the 64 is worth the price, while the 62 is.  Really has nothing to do with which center is better in general.  The RC-64 looks really nice and performs really well on concert movies.  If you're getting this style anyway, you can't go wrong with it if you don't mind shelling out the bucks.  

HOWEVER, as for the RC-64ii, if you already bought some RF-82ii's, getting an RC-64ii doesn't make much sense to me.  Should have went with RF-7ii's, that's the direction you wanted to go, the tweeters and finish match.  The tweeters nor the finish will match on the 82 / 64 combo.  I would not recommend mixing and matching like this.  

Personally I would have waited a few more weeks and got the new reference stuff unless you got a sick deal.  The new stuff ships out the end of this month.  Just slow down a little and soak it all in, no reason to rush. :)  If you're drooling over the RP-450C, I'd beg that dealer not to ship and apply some credit towards the new reference premiere if he is feeling like a nice guy.  But that's just me.  Otherwise just stick with the RC-62ii because you want everything to match as much as possible.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters