Looking for subwoofer recommendation for RF62II with Marantz SR7008

Dinesh

I am looking for some recommendation for a sub. Really appreciate if you guys can share your thoughts and help me pick the right sub for my setup and requirements. Here are the details:

My speakers setup would consist of:

- RF-62 II for front LR

- RC-62 II for center

- RB-61 II for surround

- Marantz SR7008 Receiver

My room is around 20ft x 15ft with three side walls and one side open to kitchen.

I am looking for a single sub, 12" between $400-$600 range.

That is a large room and would benefit from two subs.  Two Chane passive subs would do.  One now and one down the road.  These are black boxes and would go with black speakers.  Other options include the PB 2000 by SVS and PSA XV 15 SE.  Two of any of these should be the final goal.

One sub no matter how good will lead to  a peaky bass response in the room.

The system you have will do fine without a sub until you can save up some more money. If you could get that up to about $800, the R-115SW has been well reviewed here in the subwoofer forum. If you can save about a grand, a pair of the tiny SVS PB-1000's would be even better.

Edited by mustang guy

Dinesh,

Welcome, and I am sure that you will receive a good range of thought, experience, and opinion.

Mine included.  I also have a large cubic foot listening area, open to other/adjoining areas.  FYI, I have "good sized" speakers, however, I do not customarily listen at "high" levels (at least, not for long).  

I mention these things because recently I went through the very odyssey that you are, with the attendant uncertainties, fits and starts, etc.  

My decision was to go with a 12" down-firing subwoofer (Outlaw LFM-1 EX--now discontinued and superceded) for $599 delivered.  Much informed and experienced advice counseled (typically) 2 - 4 subs, often 15" to even 18".  As the WAF component was unlikely to see--or hear--the beauty of a multiple sub solution, I really rolled the dice with the one sub.

I cannot say how pleased I am with the result (and the roll of the dice).  That Outlaw is absolutely sufficient for my purposes.  It has great power for my area (350W RMS, 1300W peak), it extends (per specs) to 16Hz w/ one vented port, and absolutely does everything that I want it to do.  Deep and clear rumbles, vibrations galore (nearfield).  Now, does it deliver that everywhere--in all seating positions, near the vaulted ceiling, or in all the corners? Probably not.  But it really delivers in the areas where people (2 to 4) are likely to be seated, watching the screen with my wife and me.  It is not worth the expense, effort, or the marital discussions to me to have another sub (or 3 more) for the very small net increase in "perfection" everywhere in the listening area.

Others with similar circumstances come to different decisions, with equal justification.  But, you may try a sub with similar specs and see what you think.

We all would like to know your decision, and thoughts about the results you achieve.  Good luck!

Thank you all for great inputs and comments.

The reason I just want to go with one 12" (at lease for now) is because my wife does not like too much bass. Many people on this forum would perhaps understand my situation. So to keep peace with my wife I am fine with one, preferably 12inch :)

So far I have suggestions for:

R-115SW
Outlaw LFM-1 EX

Newer model of

PB 2000 by SVS and PSA XV 15 SE

Thank you all for great inputs and comments.

The reason I just want to go with one 12" (at lease for now) is because my wife does not like too much bass. Many people on this forum would perhaps understand my situation. So to keep peace with my wife I am fine with one, preferably 12inch :)

So far I have suggestions for:

R-115SW

Outlaw LFM-1 EX

Newer model of

PB 2000 by SVS and PSA XV 15 SE

And this

Klipsch RSW-15 subwoofer - $600 (daly city)

00m0m_aPcDMJzf9Cn_600x450.jpg

6337.png6337.png6338.png6338.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

Klipsch RSW 15. These are hard to find . I am selling cause i am changing my home theater room to office. No Grill. speakers only. 

RSW15 $600 each

which I happen to think might be the best choice, at least to me.

As far as going with a 12 inch subwoofer because wife not wanting too much bass, you could go with a 15 inch subwoofer and just turn down the gain some.  Cleaner, effortless bass with larger driver and cabinet most of the time.

Just sayin,

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

You also forgot dual SVS PB-100's. They are TINY and extremely wife friendly. The advantages to two or more subs in a room has been noted in many tech papers. Read up on Room Modes and multiple subwoofers. Reducing standing waves is very wife friendly as well. It is a more natural sounding bass.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

The reason I just want to go with one 12" (at lease for now) is because my wife does not like too much bass.

Too much bass is a product of not calibrating properly.  You can couple a behemoth ported dual 18 with a pair of small bookshelf speakers and blend them perfectly together with proper gain adjustment.  Don't get caught up in driver sizes.  Get a big enough sub so you won't have to upgrade down the road and keep the gain low for now. 

• Like 3

The system you have will do fine without a sub until you can save up some more money. If you could get that up to about $800, the R-115SW has been well reviewed here in the subwoofer forum. If you can save about a grand, a pair of the tiny SVS PB-1000's would be even better.

I would go for the R-115SW. I got i with the same system as yours. I'm glad i thoose the 15"

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

• Like 1

How much space are you willing to give up? Or, should I ask if you have a preference for size? What about new or used? 

I would recommend the following brands: Velodyne, HSU, SVS, Klipsch, Rel, Paradigm and there are a few others

For a good used one in your price range and for your room size - Velodyne HGS-12 or SPL-12 or, older Paradigm Servo-15, you can also find some older SVS cylinder subs.  I'm sure plenty of folks here can recommend a good Klipsch sub for you.