Center to pair with RF-5's

Fizik

I'm looking to upgrade my center channel. Its a great center but is over powered by the RF-5's. Other than the RC-7, which would be nice but hard to find. What other centers are recommended?

I'd like to stay roughly around $200 with ship. I've seen a few Rc-62's in the $200-$250 range shipped lately.

My old center will be for sale if you know anyone looking for a classic polk center. Model is in my sig.

Thanks.

Other than an RC-7, the next best (or better) thing would be another RF-5.  You could possibly find a beater, gut it an make a custom one off "RC-5" with the parts in a horizontal configuration.

That sounds like a fun project.

Other than an RC-7, the next best (or better) thing would be another RF-5.  You could possibly find a beater, gut it an make a custom one off "RC-5" with the parts in a horizontal configuration.

That sounds like a fun project.

Seriously, talk to Gorm.  He sold a crazy RC-7 by using parts off of an RC-7 (I believe).

I have both an RC-7 and an RF-7 that is modified into a custom cener channel.

Don't compromise, either buy an RC-7 or build an RF-5 into a custom center channel. I see RF-5s come up fairly often for cheap. so if you have the skill??

Roger

Yep, i have the skills to do that. Could be fun. I picked up my RF-5 pair locally for $200 so maybe another deal will show. Or I know the woofers are still available from Klipsch so maybe the other pieces are available as well, and I could just order the new pieces and build the housing.

Maybe this might help. http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/ele/4837249041.html

its in your price range

Yep, saw that yesterday. Emailed the seller, but never received a response.

Alas... :(

• Like 1

I have the custom center now. I would now prefer another standard RF 7 given the New direction the theatre is going.

I had rf5s for years until recently selling them. I will only echo the replies of other members, do what you can to get a RC 7 or if possible another rf5.

The rf5 is a gem amongst it's larger siblings. It was very difficult to sell them.

Next thing becomes your choice of if you want ported or sealed. The 3 is sealed, where the 62 is front ported.

I have seen this asked a lot on the forum.  And I mostly remember the answer being front ported.  Any characteristics of each that form the basis of the answer?  is it just personal taste from listening to both?  What are my Forte's?   Sorry for the dumb questions.