Klipsch Forte advice needed

edc

Good job on locating a problem and finding a suitable vendor to make the repairs.

Of course, forte's SHOULD be some distance from the wall. Colter's Law states 'begin placement with rear of speaker a distance equal to the sum of the diameter of all rear-mounted ports or passive drivers'. So that's one foot for a forte. Adjust to suit to taste, corner placement helps incredibly as now your passive radiator is now corner loaded. 

For those with inquisitive infants or curious cats, a waffle grille with clamps can be easily installed with just a drilll. No need to drill all the way through the cabinet, wood screws that grab the rear panel but don't extend through will hold the clamp/grille in place. 

I second everyone who mentions the waffle grille as a protection device -

thks again guys, I will call simply speakers Monday and if they can fix them I will remove the passive and send it to them -- your message is heard loud and clear.  If they cannot do it or do not want to, maybe I can find the same form factor speaker and just mount one there and not hook it up electrically -- kind of a band aid.  Hopefully Simply Speakers will resolve the issue.

did you check to see if there was a surround kit available from Klipsch parts or other sources  for the KD13 - it looks to me that was the issue - old rubber - why mess with a recone - at this stage - plus I would stress that a proper Klipsch Cone is needed here , not an aftermarket which may sound very different  -

Edited by Randyh

Klipsch would not have a re-foam (rubber) kit available, I'm certain of it. Nearly never had any recone kits even back in the day. 

You can get kits to redo the surround, it needs to be the same diameter, material, and silhouette as the original to work like the original. Hopefully this is what SS will be doing. I'd doubt they are rebuilding the entire cone if it doesn't need to be. Interestingly, sometimes there are a variety of items used to add mass to passive cones, I've seen large area washers and even steel nuts epoxied inside a drone cone before.

No the waffle grille does not affect the sound at all. We've been using them on PA speakers for years, Amazingly, the sound figures out how to escape through the holes! 

There is a thread on the waffle grille 'mod' on here somewhere... I did it to my fortes as I have cats. Did it as preventative measure. 

The Duracrest Heritage fabric is a magnet for cats - some dogs too but for different reasons -