Speaker cables for Khorns.

So, most of you suggest cheap copper cables.

Don't you think that the good speaker cables are more neutral,

and a significant part of the system??

As well as the interconnects and power cords? 

Hello TOPALOGLOU and welcome to the forum!

Also, Hello too you parlophone1 and boomer9911.

To make this as simple as possible, Paul Wilbur Klipsch said there is no such thing as High Fidelity. Something either has fidelity or it does not...

Does this make sense to you???

Therefore, your speaker wire and interconnects either have fidelity or they do not...  Are you with me so far??

You cannot make a system sound better than the signal sent to it, ie; we cannot increase the fidelity of the signal, only deteriorate or add to the signal that which was not there before.

Therefore, as long as you are running wire of sufficient gauge for the length needed for the run, we cannot improve upon this signal.

High end speaker wires and interconnects often use capacitance in line wich can soften the sound and some may find the difference pleasing to the ear, make no mistake, this change in the signal path is NOT fidelity!!!

I own over $4,000 in interconnects of one type from a company and I have the same brand two models cheaper and the cheaper interconnects sound better!

I also have silver plated 10 Guage stranded pure copper wire with gold plated spade connectors and it sounds no better on TSCMs, Klipschorns or LaScalas than 14 Gauge stranded pure copper zip cord type wire.

Spend your money on music or upgrading something else in your system, patch cords and speaker wires are myths that someone can make a lot of profit off of you by pulling a fast one on you.

Roger

Hi Roger and thanks, been away for awhile.  Thank you for the simple English explanation made quite clear and makes perfect sense in all honesty...lol...

I've been running Kimber cable 8TC up front and Monster 12 gauge to the rear Hersey's for the longest time. I guess I was sold on the Kimber gimmick of the thick and thin wires, thin being for higher frequency and thick for the lower frequency, and truth, they sounded the same when I used the rear Monster 12 gauge off the Khorns up front.  I will be running a 2 channel setup soon with my LaScala's as I just purchased a vintage Marantz 2275 Receiver along with a Rega RP40 TT and just need the speaker wire, which I did order this morning. From reading from my fellow Klipschers I have decided to purchase the red\black 10 gauge "zip cord" from Powerwerx in the states at 25 ft for $35 plus shipping for that run to the LaScala's. I'm looking forward to the comparison if any.....Cheers.....

• Like 1

Thank you for the simple English explanation made quite clear and makes perfect sense in all honesty...lol...

I've been running Kimber cable 8TC up front and Monster 12 gauge to the rear Hersey's for the longest time. I guess I was sold on the Kimber gimmick of the thick and thin wires, thin being for higher frequency and thick for the lower frequency, and truth, they sounded the same when I used the rear Monster 12 gauge off the Khorns up front.  I will be running a 2 channel setup soon with my LaScala's as I just purchased a vintage Marantz 2275 Receiver along with a Rega RP40 TT and just need the speaker wire, which I did order this morning. From reading from my fellow Klipschers I have decided to purchase the red\black 10 gauge "zip cord" from Powerwerx in the states at 25 ft for $35 plus shipping for that run to the LaScala's. I'm looking forward to the comparison if any.....Cheers.....

Thanks to all for a clear explanation.

I have been thinking about Kimber cable 8TC also. And about 4VS for my current RF42IIs. Had idea that it might colour the sound more on a warm side.

Now I will probably go for some KnuKonzeptz cables as well. Even with shipment across the ocean they should cost less than Kimber.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0614/dana_cable_braided_onyx_speaker_cables.htm

Gingko has a fascinating video on their site demonstrating the dampening factor of their slinky black Dana weave cables versus a typical thin big-box retail stereo cable! The demo shows a waveform as good as no cable at all between the amplifier and the loudspeaker. In addition to the visual proof on the scope, the video has a listening test too.

These cables have the equivalent copper to 4 or 8 AWG. Total resistance in the 2-6 thousandths of an ohm, and they publish the inductance and capacitance of their products. Definitely not snake oil, IMO.

Thanks Roger!

I really appreciate your answer to my question.

All you need is a decent cable. I am happy with my Mogami 3082 cables.

Just wanted to know whether "high end" cables will add something to the music.

You made clear that it is better to spend money to upgrade the amplifier, or the digital/analog source

than cables.

Thanks again!

Nikolas

• Like 1

Good wire/cable should:

1. Be soft, pliable.

2. multi - strand.

3. Thick.

4. Coating should be impervious to abuse.

5. A reasonable cost per foot.

6. Make you feel warm and fuzzy.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-10-gauge-speaker-wire/

I totally agree with this statement.

Tube amps don't have the best damping, so as not to make it worse...... less resistance is required as I understand the math.

Like all things, declining marginal returns set in. Quickly in the case of speaker cables.

12 gauge Copper does the job, 10 gauge probably noses into declining or no marginal return, but since the marginal cost is so small as to be irrelevant ...........why not take the extra margin for error, it's free.

Buy the affordable 10 GA and declare victory.

Stated differently, exotic speaker cables only offer the perception of sonic improvement in the mind of the person who sank a large sum into them and absolutely needs to hear the difference, even if no one else can.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have always used 4/0 welding cable...................................................................... for my welder. :P  At 100W RMS, my khorns pull a whopping 3.54 amps. Of course, I don't think they have ever been fed that much other than just in a short burst here and there to impress/scare a friend who hadn't previously heard my khorns.

I actually use 14 gauge copper speaker wire (zip wire). 14 gauge "electrical" wire is rated at 20 amps (though requires circuit protection at 15 amps per NEC regulations.) and I can't imagine a similar wire, such as speaker wire hindering electron movement at the paltry levels of current I send to my Khorns. If you look inside of speakers, even big powerful subwoofers and such, they usually have 14 or 16 gauge wire from the terminal to the driver. Just look at the khorns crossover....... not big wires there, either. Don't get me wrong.......... the longer the wire, the more "resistance" it has to current flow, but I seriously don't think there is a difference between 14 gauge and anything bigger as far as something auditory. In fact, I don't think there would be something audible in 18 gauge etc. but I like the 14 gauge size also due to the fact it is tough. You won't accidentally pull it apart or anything. That is just my $.02. For those that can hear a difference in something more high-end, than your basic 14 ga. speaker wire, I say that is great. My ears just aren't that refined.

Bryant  

Another vote for Knukonceptz. I use their Karma SS speaker wire for my main speakers, in 8 and 10 gauge. For the rest of the speakers (surround and rear centre), I use Home Depot 12 gauge (some of which is turning green near the ends) or fine-strand 12 gauge for the front centre.

If I were to do it again, I'd likely go with 12 gauge Kord Ultra Flex for the centre and surround speakers, but I'd stay with the Karma SS 8 gauge for the mains.

The twisted pair geometry repels interference, and the thick sleeve over the jackets of the two conductors may reduce the effect of any interference that the speaker cable may be generating. The tin coating means it will never corrode.

BTW, the SS in the speaker name refers to its colour, Smoke and Silver. It used to come in Blue and Silver.

Karma SS Speaker Kable: http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/karma-ss-speaker-kable/

Edited by Islander