Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

• Moderators

My son came and told me something isn't right in the HT.  I went and checked and only 3 of the 7 channels are working on the amp.   :( 

There have been a few times that a channel would not light up on the front.  To fix it, I would simply power everything down and unplug both power cables from the back of the unit.  When I plug one of the cables in, you can hear clicking in the amp. Turn it back on and everything worked again.....but not this time.

Any suggestions? 

Hopefully, I can just ship the amp sections as each channel can be removed individually from inside the chassis.

Sherbourn-72100A-6.jpg

• Moderators

Gotcha.  I have no experience on the "inside" of electronics and how they work but that does make sense.  I've sent Emotiva an email to see what is the process to troubleshoot or sending in the unit.  I hope I don't have to ship the entire 115 lb beast, especially without the original box.

• Moderators

Worst case, I can hook up the internal amps of the HK.  I've never connected them so I have no idea how well it will drive the 7 speakers.  Fortunately, the La Scala Trio are ridiculously easy to drive at 104db sensitivity.

• Like 1

Michael,

First sorry to hear about your amp.

I wouldn't think 4 amp modules went out simultaneously.  The problem will probably be in the chassis and not the 4 individual modules.

My thoughts exactly.  Hard to imagine that happening at the same time.

Good luck with EMO.

Bill 

Gotcha.  I have no experience on the "inside" of electronics and how they work but that does make sense.  I've sent Emotiva an email to see what is the process to troubleshoot or sending in the unit.  I hope I don't have to ship the entire 115 lb beast, especially without the original box.

I would think there would be a shop in the Tampa area than can fix it.  It would cost a pretty penny to ship that monster both ways.

I only ever had one issue early on with a single channel and it was a cold solder joint that I fixed myself.  Be warned disassembling the amp is a bit of a PITA!  Removing the modules is more difficult than you think but it is possible.  I purchased new packing from Sherbourn for $50 years ago only to have it ruined in a flooded basement a few years ago.  My amp has been problem free for years.  I hesitantly replaced two spectacular DBX BX1 (2,3,4 channel configurable) amplifier's with it.  Only after considerable listening.

I hope you can get it sorted out it is certainly worth it.  Perhaps it is just an issue with switching or protection relays. 

post-2180-0-12460000-1421076099_thumb.jp

• Moderators

I finally heard back from Emotiva

Cathy Laufman replied:

Customer support and warranty service is no longer available on any Sherbourn Technologies, Inc. legacy products.

Sherbourn Technologies LLC, closed in July 2013

Thank you,

Customer Support

Emotiva Audio Corporation

Cathy Laufman

Vice President

www.emotiva.com

I finally heard back from Emotiva

Cathy Laufman replied:

Customer support and warranty service is no longer available on any Sherbourn Technologies, Inc. legacy products.

Sherbourn Technologies LLC, closed in July 2013

Thank you,

Customer Support

Cathy Laufman

Vice President

www.emotiva.com

Is that all they responded with? That's lame bro, I'm a little disappointed in Emotiva. So what's your next course of action? 

• Moderators

Thanks for the link CECA. Probably beyond my skill set and I don't have the time to learn how to solder.

Shod, yes that was a direct copy/paste from the email. I thought it was pretty lame as well. I'll likely have to look for a local amp repair shop.

f it turns out to be the same problem as the link... I would think it would be pretty inexpensive to repair.

It is the bench labor that cost.  The amp is worth fixing and can last another 20 or 30 years.  Using a local shop is good because you have a face to go talk if there are any problems.

• Like 1

Youthman,

I just sent in my PA7-350 in December because it had overheated(long story won't bore you with details)and blew a channel. Emotiva bent over backwards to help me, sent me a new shipping carton etc.... I just checked with UPS, it was delivered back to me today,so it is waiting for me when I get home. My amp is only 15 months old, perhaps the age of yours is an issue? The gentleman that helped me was Nick Kaumeyer Dept Head of Sales. Maybe you could get a hold of him and get a clearer answer than you got from the VP. They have to live up to their warranty, don't know what yours is but mine is 10 years. Emotiva acquired Sherbourne, their assets and LIABILITIES. If they absolutely will not service the unit they should get you a service manual and/or schematics.

Edited by babadono

Yours is much newer than youthmans. And I don't think they are doing warranty EXCEPT for the products they cleared out like the 7-350 when emotiva purchased the company. Anything before will most likely be out of luck. I just thought the response could have been a little nicer/ more caring?

• Like 1