Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

I just finished hooking up the Sherbourn to the Onkyo and I went through the test tones and could not believe it.....when I switch to the Front Right, no sound.  On the back of the amp, I switched the speaker wire for the center and front right and then switched from Center to FR on the receiver and the center played sound but still no sound out of the FR.  Say huh?  I put everything back the way it was and went through the test tones again and found the STRANGEST thing.....when I play the Center test tone, sound comes out of the Center AND the Front Right!  Are you kidding me? 

To make matters worse, after about 6 times of turning on / off the amp, the 4th channel did not power up and when I switched to that channel's test tone, no sound was heard from that speaker.

I called the repair center and neither the owner nor the tech is there.  I left a message with the receptionist.

channel-out.jpg

I'm going to unhook all of the Pre-Outs and speaker cables except for the Pre-outs for the Center channel and I'll only have the speaker wire connected for both the Center and Right speakers.  If I get sound out of both speaker, the amp is jacked up.

Most of these places are fly by niters and i would no more have them reapair something for me than a man on the moon.

I had a 14 month old Pioneer Elite SC35 blow out on me and i just sold it for $50 as is rather than risk spending 100's getting it so called fixed.  When something i breaks i just throw it out and buy new. Been thru the reaper nitemares way too many times.

I just finished hooking up the Sherbourn to the Onkyo and I went through the test tones and could not believe it.....

when I switch to the Front Right, no sound.  On the back of the amp, I switched the speaker wire for the center and front right and then switched from Center to FR on the receiver and the center played sound but still no sound out of the FR.  Say huh?  I put everything back the way it was and went through the test tones again and found the STRANGEST thing.....when I play the Center test tone, sound comes out of the Center AND the Front Right! 

Are you kidding me? 

Oh no... :(

Terrible news Youth!

It turns out there is nothing wrong with my Parasound. The guy that was working on it said that it has a clean bill of health and he thinks I have a ground loop issue. $109 down the drain.

Who wants to by a Parasound HCA1205A? Haha!

Terrible news Youth!

It turns out there is nothing wrong with my Parasound. The guy that was working on it said that it has a clean bill of health and he thinks I have a ground loop issue. $109 down the drain.

Who wants to by a Parasound HCA1205A? Haha!

C'mon, you guys are depressing me.  I want to hear some good news for a change.  :wacko:

I have read that ground loops are often caused by having both 3-prong and 2-prong cord ends in the signal chain.  The quick and easy solution seems to be using a non-grounded cheater plug on the 3-prong.

Here's hoping something turns out good for you guys.

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

I texted Adam to let him know what I found and he said that he was actually just about to leave his friend's house in Brandon and could stop by since he is only 15 - 20 min away (he lives about 45 min away).  I told him it was up to him if he wanted to stop by.  Super nice fellow, very meek and humble and super nice.  He talks WAY over my head but I am 100% confident he actually knows what he's talking about.

What were your results after disconnecting everything except the center?

When Adam arrived, I had just finished unhooking the Sherbourn and moved it into the room with longer cables so we could easily switch inputs and speaker cables.

I showed him what was happening and he suggested let's eliminate the Onkyo as being the problem so I hooked up an RCA to 3.5mm to my phone and plugged it straight into two channels of the amp (smart thinking).

Channel 5 (Connected to Right Speaker)

Channel 6 (Connected to Center Speaker)

Channel 7 (Connected to Left Speaker)

When we plugged the RCA into 6 and 7, we got sound out of all 3 speakers!

Plugging a single RCA into channel 7, left speaker plays just fine.

Plugging a single RCA into channel 6, BOTH the Center AND the Right channel play

Plugging a single RCA into channel 5, NO SOUND

Looks like the tech messed something up in the amp.

About 40% of the time when I turn the amp on, channel 4 does not power on.  This was the actual issue I was having when I took them the amp.  So what exactly did they "fix" for the $200 I paid them?

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

• Moderators
How's everything sound with just the Onkyo?

The Onkyo by itself sounds fantastic!  I was very curious to see if I could actually hear a difference between it and adding the Sherbourn.  Guess it won't be happening this week.  :(

• Like 1

Dang Youthman, I had fingers crossed it would work. I am no techie but from what you say, it sounds like the shop connected both your channel five and channel six into the same output. That would explain why you have no sound on one channel out and sound on two channels through the other out. I hope when Adam looks inside he can see it where the link is to the wrong output. It may end up being an easy fix for a tech although there is no way I would accept that from the shop you just paid...

• Moderators
C'mon, you guys are depressing me. I want to hear some good news for a change. :wacko:

Me too....seems like I've had quite a few things stop working over the past 2 weeks

Onkyo TX-NR5008 - Was locking up.  Paid $160 to get fixed

Onkyo TX-NR1008 that I gave to wakejunkie last week is losing HDMI channels.  Good thing it's covered under Onkyo's HDMI Repair plan.  They are shipping him a box and return label.

Kicker 5ch amp for my expedition stopped working due to roof leaking and soaked the carpet where the amp was.  Gave that amp to Adam tonight to troubleshoot

Light switch for porch light broke

Trunk on Expedition won't open (cable broke)

One earbud in my Klipsch headphones sounds blown

Sherbourn amp problems

AV Switcher and HDMI Splitter stopped working in my youth center at church

Needless to say, it's been a frustrating week troubleshooting.  LOL

It's all good though....Youthman is still smiling :D.  Happiness is based on "happenings", but that doesn't effect my joy.  :D

I am no techie but from what you say, it sounds like the shop connected both your channel five and channel six into the same output. That would explain why you have no sound on one channel out and sound on two channels through the other out.

I know absolutely zero about the inner workings of the amp.  It was cool listening to Adam describing the components inside the Sherbourn just by looking inside the vents with a flashlight on the top, side and bottom of the amp.  He was able to see that two capacitors were different than the other 5 and said they were pretty low end capacitors.  :huh:  That's always nice to know.  You would think for $280 quote, they would have put quality parts in.  The owner said the tech replaced 2 caps and a few mosfets. 

It may end up being an easy fix for a tech although there is no way I would accept that from the shop you just paid...

Yes, at this point I TOTALLY do not have any confidence in this company working on my Sherbourn.  I'm sure they do fine with the Onkyo receivers because they work on them all the time. 

I will call the owner on Monday and express my concerns in a professional manner and see how he would like to resolve the issue.  I do have it in writing that the entire amp is covered for 90 days but at this point, I'm not sure I want them working on it.  I would rather just get a refund and take it to Adam but I'm guessing they would at least want me to drive another 50min one-way to let them look at it to make sure the amp was indeed still having issues before issuing a refund (understandable).  Either way, to have the amp fixed by them or by Adam, both are a 1hr 45min round trip and would require two trips (drop off & pick up).  That's almost 4 hours of my time and gas in an Expedition all because their tech messed up something AND channel 4 is doing the EXACT same thing that I originally brought the amp in to them to repair. 

If they won't issue a refund, I will ask them what they will do to compensate for the additional driving time, gas and headache of having to bring them the unit for a second time to fix their goof up and to repair what was supposed to be repaired the first time.

• Like 2

I texted Adam to let him know what I found and he said that he was actually just about to leave his friend's house in Brandon and could stop by since he is only 15 - 20 min away (he lives about 45 min away).  I told him it was up to him if he wanted to stop by.  Super nice fellow, very meek and humble and super nice.  He talks WAY over my head but I am 100% confident he actually knows what he's talking about.

What were your results after disconnecting everything except the center?

When Adam arrived, I had just finished unhooking the Sherbourn and moved it into the room with longer cables so we could easily switch inputs and speaker cables.

I showed him what was happening and he suggested let's eliminate the Onkyo as being the problem so I hooked up an RCA to 3.5mm to my phone and plugged it straight into two channels of the amp (smart thinking).

Channel 5 (Connected to Right Speaker)

Channel 6 (Connected to Center Speaker)

Channel 7 (Connected to Left Speaker)

When we plugged the RCA into 6 and 7, we got sound out of all 3 speakers!

Plugging a single RCA into channel 7, left speaker plays just fine.

Plugging a single RCA into channel 6, BOTH the Center AND the Right channel play

Plugging a single RCA into channel 5, NO SOUND

Looks like the tech messed something up in the amp.

About 40% of the time when I turn the amp on, channel 4 does not power on.  This was the actual issue I was having when I took them the amp.  So what exactly did they "fix" for the $200 I paid them?

I would cuss them out. Then you have to factor in driving time as that is a far drive.

• Like 2

I would cuss them out.

Charlie,

You know Youthman don't cuss. :o

Bill

Well maybe i should call and do it for him.  People just don't care or even check their work these days it seems.

I once had a $7k telescope i bought from Meade, a 7" ED refractor. I had to return it 3 times for collimation problems and it never was fixed. Years later Meade made a lens cell fix that would hold collimation.  

• Like 2

Well maybe i should call and do it for him.

That's funny. :lol:

People just don't care or even check their work these days it seems.

Very true.

Bill

Maybe i am upset more than he is. Just the driving time alone would tick me off.

• Like 1

I would cuss them out.

Charlie,

Bill

Well maybe i should call and do it for him.  People just don't care or even check their work these days it seems.

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing last night.

I hope the shop handles this in the same professional manner you did upon hearing they fixed your amp without your authorization. I admire the way you handled that; knowing full well how I would have is totally opposite. Should be a fun phone conversation tomorrow :rolleyes::mellow: 

Hoping for a positive outcome.

• Like 1

I would cuss them out.

Charlie,

Bill

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing last night.

I hope the shop handles this in the same professional manner you did upon hearing they fixed your amp without your authorization. I admire the way you handled that; knowing full well how I would have is totally opposite. Should be a fun phone conversation tomorrow :rolleyes::mellow:

Hoping for a positive outcome.

That is one place i will steer clear of.

• Like 1

So what exactly did they "fix" for the $200 I paid them?

Their bank account.

I was afraid of this when you said you've been having trouble with 4 channels intermittently and they fixed 2. Just didn't seem right.  I'd really try for a refund if at all possible.  They didn't fix anything and will want to work on it again, same tech no doubt.  They'll say " That other stuff was bad we fixed last time but you'll also need this.  You pay for the part and we'll put it in for free".  I don't see a favorable outcome, sorry for your troubles.

• Like 2