Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

• Moderators
Does Emo even have components to fix this amp since dissolving Sherbourn? Seems like they would at least offer you a trade or big discount on an Emo product.

Not sure on components.  Sounds like they have washed their hands clean of Sherbourn.  Too bad...so sad philosophy.

Has it been asked how old is this amp?

See quote below

I'm finding reviews of the 7/2100 (not sure if that's different than the 7/2100a that I have) from 2004 - 2007.

The Emo reply was not exactly great but they did not sell it? Some help would have been nice.......

I wasn't expecting it to be covered under warranty, especially since I'm not the original owner and it's probably 10 yrs old.  Just looking for some direction.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I just dropped the unit off at Jersey Jim's in Clearwater, Fl.  This morning, I turned on the amp and all channels except for channel 3 turned on.  It's an intermittent problem....thinking some form of relay isn't working correctly to tell each channel to turn on.  Hopefully it will be an inexpensive repair.

I just dropped the unit off at Jersey Jim's in Clearwater, Fl.  This morning, I turned on the amp and all channels except for channel 3 turned on.  It's an intermittent problem....thinking some form of relay isn't working correctly to tell each channel to turn on.  Hopefully it will be an inexpensive repair.

Cold solder joint?  I had an AMC/Weltronics amp that did this to me about 17 years ago. 

I am thinking it may be just a relay switching issue Youthman. From your original post back in 2013 it seems to me that there is some sort of triggered relay that turns on each amp in succession. The fact that it was several channels out, now only one channel out again seems like it should be a reasonably simple and inexpensive fix. Sorry you had the issues in the first place and since I have a ton of Sherbourn and Emotiva products I had hoped they would have given you a better answer after contacting Emotiva. All of my questions and inquiries directed their way were handled promptly and accurately. I realize they never built or sold this amp to you, or even to the original owner but as a busines model I would have appreciated more direction for you. Please update us with the results when you get it back.

• Moderators
Would THIS apply?

I called the repair center and she said they believe they have narrowed down the problem and asked if I had a Schematic of the amp so they can order parts.  I asked if she knew if it was the relays that went bad and she did not know.  The tech comes in at 1pm so I'll call and speak with him to see if that model number for the relay is what he is the part that he is needing.  The article gave a part number and suggested Mouser as the distributor but it says "Obsolete" on their site http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fujitsu/VS-24MB-NR/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugCY8wOV321Z%252bBVgTxbTHIq4yVuIUw8Czo%3d

• Moderators

I finally received a call back from the tech and he said to fix the two capacitors that are bad in the amp, it would be $280 and it would be 3hrs of labor.  Honestly, I'm not sure I want to drop $300 on the amp to repair it when he's talking about fixing two channels and before I sent it in, there were times that 4 channels did not work.  It was intermittent....sometimes one channel would go out, then other time 4 different channels would not come on.  I'm not confident he knows exactly what the problem is.  Any advice?

• Like 1