Question about removing Cornwall grills

This might be a silly question. I recently picked up a pair of 75 Corns. My first pair of Heritage speakers. I'd like to take the grill off but I'm not sure how to do it without tearing stuff up. The edge of the cloth is tucked up at least a quarter inch underneath the trim so I'm worried that if I try fishing out a corner and successfully pull of the grill that I'll never be able to get it back on so it looks the same.

I guess I'm a little lost with it. I see pictures of Cornwalls with the grills removed all the time. It can't be that hard! lol

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

• Like 1

1975 was the first year for removable grills. can you post a picture

if you can't tell just take the backs off and you will be able to tell if you see grill cloth around the motorboard

could be decorators and someone stapled on some cloth and used some screen moulding

Edited by Budman

1975 was the first year for removable grills. can you post a picture

if you can't tell just take the back off and you will be able to tell if you see grill cloth around the motorboard

I can take one to post. Is there anything in particular I should get a closeup of?

Also, since I'm new to these it's very possible I could be mistaken on the year. The info on the tag on the back has worn off but the numbers engraved in the wood are 7N444/7N445. If that's helpful at all.

your grill cloth will NOT come off. it looks to be in good condition.

you could easily take off the moulding and remove the cloth and then make or buy some grill boards and put on new cloth

edit

what i mean is you don't have removable grills

my 74's are not removable

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

is their something wrong with the cloth that you don't like

they could have come from the factory just like they are OR they came without cloth and a previous owner stapled on the cloth and added the screen moulding

i believe they were built at the factory as Decorators which means birch raw with no cloth and then someone added it

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

is their something wrong with the cloth that you don't like

they could have come from the factory just like they are OR they came without cloth and a previous owner stapled on the cloth and added the screen moulding

Well removing them would likely just have been more of a curiosity thing. Just like removing the back. Just to look and see, ya know  :) 

But otherwise the other speaker has a spot where the PO had some candle wax drip down on it. Which doesn't bother me so much right now (bothers the wife more) but it likely will down the line. I supposed if I screw up the process of cleaning that then I'll probably want to replace the grills. For now, though, all is well.

Thanks very much for taking your time to help me with this.

• Like 1