Is music / system, supposed to ?

joessportster

Excite or Relax the listener ? Is this what is discussed as PRAT

This actually could be attributed to the system as much as the Music itself, A system can be so energetic that it forces you to move, or so relaxing that you can just drift away. I doubt there is 1 answer, I would bet it is as subjective as ones taste in music / speakers.

How do you feel ?

I am on both sides of the fence depending on mood, I have sat down countless times with the intention of listening and find myself nodding off, Other times I find myself annoying the heck out of the wife with my air drums and lack of shame as I bellow lyrics (I often become the butt of jokes between her and the boys)  :D

I am on both sides of the fence depending on mood, I have sat down countless times with the intention of listening and find myself nodding off, Other times I find myself annoying the heck out of the wife with my air drums and lack of shame as I bellow lyrics (I often become the butt of jokes between her and the boys) 

You and me both. 

There's a group called The Bloodhound Gang that said it perfect when it comes to me singing. "You sing like an amputee- Can't hold a note, and can't carry a tune".

• Like 1

Music is a drug. It increases/alters heart rate, alters mood, can cause wild physical activity such as swinging arms, shaking azzes, or in some cases drowsiness, and can be extremely habit forming.

I guess this makes the equipment "paraphernalia" :lol: If the government knew just how pleasurable it can all be they would make it "Schedule One" :D :D

I'd agree that it's very subjective. BUT having said that, I'd rather hear relaxing 'mood' music on a revealing, dynamic system than some supposedly high end system that seems to mute or dumb everything down. (Same goes for dynamic music on a laid back system). How's that for confusing the issue?

Oh yeah, people pay me to NOT sing. I can play music but I am NOT supposed to sing.

That's the beauty of music, it change our mood.  Eighty percent of my music is light and relaxing but, that get's boring at times and the need for speed kicks in and up tempo music is needed.  All I can say is it is great and beats out the TV 7 out of 10 times for me. :D

Edited by derrickdj1

Excite or Relax the listener ?

That's like asking whether a gun is supposed to kill, or protect. Well, neither, its a tool. The system itself ideally should be neutral.

I am on both sides of the fence depending on mood, I have sat down countless times with the intention of listening and find myself nodding off

This past weekend I fell asleep during my favorite Dave Matthews song from a concert blu ray while a big chested female friend was texting me some pics of her "showing off", basically inviting me over to party at their place with the promise of free unlimited high end bourbon. I can assure you that it had nothing to do with the system, or anything else. :) I am just getting old, had worked all day, and drank a bottle of white merlot by myself.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Excite or Relax the listener ?

That's like asking whether a gun is supposed to kill, or protect. Well, neither, its a tool. The system itself ideally should be neutral.

I am on both sides of the fence depending on mood, I have sat down countless times with the intention of listening and find myself nodding off

This past weekend I fell asleep during my favorite Dave Matthews song from a concert blu ray while a big chested female friend was texting me some pics of her "showing off", basically inviting me over to party at their place with the promise of free unlimited high end bourbon. I can assure you that it had nothing to do with the system, or anything else. :) I am just getting old, had worked all day, and drank a bottle of white merlot by myself.

Now thats just sad, fell asleep missing on the chance for companionship, I can relate to getting older (to much so I am afraid)

• Like 1

I am wondering if I am the only one that experiences this scenario... when listening to music, I get hypnotized... like in a trance and most of the time I get sleepy and do the chin dance even though I am not sleepy when I begin my sessions.

I am wondering if I am the only one that experiences this scenario... when listening to music, I get hypnotized... like in a trance and most of the time I get sleepy and do the chin dance even though I am not sleepy when I begin my sessions.

I often do, but my listening sessions take place after the family goes to bed so it's already 9-10PM before I get started.

• Moderators

I would guess all of the above, I think it has a lot to do with the mood your in. Ever notice you go to play something and just stand there without being able to figure out  what you want to hear ? 

Or on some days it just doesn't sound exactly right, but other days you are drawn in and go sit just to listen it sound so good. Or I'm just abbynormal ?

• Like 1

I would guess all of the above, I think it has a lot to do with the mood your in. Ever notice you go to play something and just stand there without being able to figure out  what you want to hear ? 

Or on some days it just doesn't sound exactly right, but other days you are drawn in and go sit just to listen it sound so good. Or I'm just abbynormal ?

You are very Abbynormal, but that is another topic!   neener.gif       ......rolling.gif

Now, what are you doing watching me trying to pick out music.... tappingfoot.gif

Music is my favorite drug, it can take me places I never knew existed.   I'm enjoying the journey as often as possible...  cloud9.gif

Dennie 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Now, what are you doing watching me trying to pick out music....

You know that little round thing on your computers we have been watching, also those little spots in the corners of the ceiling in some rooms, well there little cameras............and what was that about a few days ago, well done.........  and put some clothes on sometimes shesh. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Now, what are you doing watching me trying to pick out music....

You know that little round thing on your computers we have been watching, also those little spots in the corners of the ceiling in some rooms, well there little cameras............and what was that about a few days ago, well done.........  and put some clothes on sometimes shesh. :ph34r:

I did notice all the blinky red lights in the bedroom, I thought the wife decorated.  scratch2.gif    Thank you, I was having a good night.  ;)

Hey!  I had clothes on at some point last week, but do you mention that?  NOooooooooo!    .....tappingfoot.gif

I'm glad you are here Dtel.  (I'm trying not to forget to do that.... anymore!)

Dennie  biggrin.gif

Edited by Dennie

It really depends on the album cover as much as anything as to what it does to me.

herbalpert.jpg

HAHAHAHA I actually inherited this record from my Dad.

My dad had that one too. Not to burst any bubbles, but think about how OLD that model would be today. 80? 85? 90??

not sure I would call it a trance but it happens to me all the time infact that is what prompted this thread, I wondered if some would say the system was less than par if you fell asleep listening IE...Boring