Titanium/Aluminum

vandec54

Okay, now that I may have gotten your attention with an enticing title I would love to get an opinion.

I am not a fella who knows too much...just trying to do right.

I believe the best speakers in my group are my ceiling speakers CDT-5800-CII.  They have a titanium dome tweeter and an aluminum woofer.  which should put them in the reference category?

I am running RF3-II's and an RC3-II center

I want a "bigger sounding"  "more fuller sounding" center.

I assume an RC-64 II would match, but would it be WAY too big for my RF3-II's and CDT-5800-CII's?

Would an RC-62 II sound better than the center I currently have?  

Thank you for your help

• Like 1

I just took out my RC 64 and tried my RC 35 in the same spot with the same gear today.  The RC 35 is no slouch and sounded fantastic.  How large is your room and how far away is the MLP?  The RC 64 II was made for the RF 7II's: the RC 64 would be a closer match.  It will not over power the rest of the speakers since autocalibration will set the speaker.  It is a big center and heavy.

Is the dialogue not clear? That may be a setup problem or related to the gear.  The RC 35 was just has clear and detailed has the RC 64.  The bass was just as nice, the difference is the 64 can handle more power.  Both of these centers are nice with movies or music.

The RC 3 II, and RC 35 are former versions of the RC 62.  The RC 3 II is slightly older than the RC 35.  The RC 62 may be a lateral move.

Edited by derrickdj1

I always thought the RC-3 was a great center for what it is but there are several that top it. The mentioned 64 or the RC-7 is what I'd shoot for but yes, power may be a problem. If you don't have enough power to drive the smaller speaker getting a bigger speaker will only make things worse.

• Like 1

I had rf3,rc3,rs3, setup. When my rc3 finally gave up, after 10 years, I replaced it with an rc62II. It just didn't sound right. It's about timbre matching speakers. Or maybe that's what I told myself so I could go get some rf82IIs. And then some rs52IIs.then some rb61IIs. Get my point. It's a slippery slope. Once you buy 1 new speaker,it's just the beginning. The rc62II is a good speaker. It will work. But you probably won't be satisfied with just one new speaker. If you get an rc64 your totally screwed. Good luck. Just be prepared.

I don't have the answer to the Dolby atmos question. Why may I ask would you be wondering?

I may get a new avr this year and ceiling Atmos speakers are a consideration.  I don't want to use up any more floor space, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Where are your 4 - 5800's placed?  

If I had two 5800's in-ceiling for rears and two in-wall 5800's for front.....and then added a RC-64 II for center would the RC-64 II blow the whole show out of the water or would it be a seamless sounding outfit?

id shoot for an RC-7 if you can, sounds excellent with the RF-3 II's...i had that setup for a bit :)

those surrounds in ceiling also mate nicely with the series because i have them too

Edited by vandec54