Should I upgrade from RF42 II to RF 62 II

parlophone1

I had my RF42s II speakers in my stereo system for about 3 years now.

Of course I have been thinking about upgrading to the next level, may be to a pair of Heresies. But they are so rare and expensive here. In past 4 years I have seen only one used pair of fairly abused Heresies I in local ads. The prices of new ones are way over those in USA and for the time being, more than I can stretch financially.

But there are some new RF62 II on a discount available locally (for about 850$ a pair).

My question here is should I get them over my 42s?

I understand that bigger sound can be expected from 62s, which I like and can use in my room (15 x 13 feet). But how are 62s sound wise comparing with 42s? I feel that 42s lacks some middle frequencies and basses. I can boost some bass with a knob on my receiver and fiddle with the speaker placement, so I compensate a little. How are 62s in the middle frequencies?

If there are no significant difference in that compartment between 42s and 62s, I am still leaning towards saving the money for Heresies.

Thanks

Edited by parlophone1
  • Like 1

But there are some new RF62 II on a discount available locally (for about 850$ a pair). My question here is should I get them over my 42s?

I understand that bigger sound can be expected from 62s, which I like and can use in my room (15 x 13 feet).

If you can afford them and you want a "bigger" sound, then by all means get the RF-62II.

But how are 62s sound wise comparing with 42s? I feel that 42s lacks some middle frequencies

I am surprised that the RF-42II's are lacking in midrange which I would think are their strongest asset.

I feel that 42s lacks bass.

Not surprised there.

If there are no significant difference in that compartment between 42s and 62s,

Under most conditions, I would say that the 62II's are "better" than the 42II's.

I am still leaning towards saving the money for Heresies.

For a 2-channel rig with a tight and accurate subwoofer in a small/medium room, Heresys are hard to beat.

Bill

Before spending the money on an upgrade, have you tried playing with the positioning of the RF-42s?  The distance between the speakers and rear wall, as well as the distance from the speakers at which you listen, can make a huge difference in bottom end response (I am also surprised that you find the midrange lacking).  If you can post a picture and specify the distances I mentioned, it would be helpful in making recommendatons.  Also, how loudly do you listen, and what type of music do you listen to?

Maynard

I have played with positioning of the speakers.

The trouble is that sonic characteristic of the room is probably pretty bad. It is a bedroom. On one side there’s a big closet with huge glass doors, and in the middle of the room is a bed. On the wall opposite of the speakers is big window and door to the balcony (with curtains). Wooden floor (wood on the concrete floor) is covered with carpets. Height to the ceiling is 8,9 feet.

I have tried to draw a quick sketch of the room (don’t laugh) and put some measurements in feet.

Room_zpsce3647d1.jpg

I tried various distances between speakers, from 3 to 6,5 feet. I find the best placement to my ears is with speakers 3,2 feet apart. Distance between speakers and the back wall is 1,4 feet. Distance from the speaker to the right wall (as in drawing) is around 3 feet, and a little more to the left wall (because of the entrance door to the room). This provides the most balanced basses with so-so highs (they are bright and sometimes shrill, but not too much and not frequently). The middle tones are in most cases weak. I do not have equipment to measure this but here is an example: Mark Knopflers voice in Private investigations is very weak. It happens on both digital and analog recording. On the phones things get much better. I suspect that bed might absorb some of mid frequencies. I am not sure if there are standing waves. Because of the bed I raised the speakers on wooden boxes (30x30 cm) and put some soft foots bellow them.  On top of each box is glued ceramic tile. Tried speakers with and without spikes. With spikes there seems to be a little improvement in clarity and separation of the instruments.

The type of music that I usually listen is a mix of classical, rock, pop and sometimes jazz.

How loud?

My Onkyo TX-8050 has a digital scale from 0-80. I am mostly between 15 and 25. Rarely above 30 because there are tenants around me, and RFs can go pretty loud above 35 on the scale. Some people say that smaller speakers need volume to reveal what they got. There are some owners of Onkyo 8050 that say the same - it has to be pushed a little to give mid frequencies. I tried that and can say there is a little improvement, but not enough that satisfy me.

• Like 1

There are some owners of Onkyo 8050 that say the same - it has to be pushed a little to give mid frequencies. I tried that and can say there is a little improvement, but not enough that satisfy me.

I have used my Integra DTM-40.4(same as your Onkyo 8050) to drive Heresys, Heresy II's, and RB-35's.  All have sounded wonderful with a huge soundstage, great imaging. and rock solid punch.  I think the 40.4 really excels in the midrange department.  All were driven in my L13ft x W13ft x H10ft bedroom.

Bill