Pink Floyd Fans = Friends

Floydian Trooper

Hello everyone! I'm new, obviously. Looking to make friends and share stories, especially Pink Floyd related friends and stories. Please, without Rogers politics or religous views brought up for everyones sake please, tell me a good Pink Floyd story you have, or a general hello. I'll start:

My son, who is about 8, is Orion Syd. Named after Pink Floyd founder: Syd Barrett. My wife and I love Floyd and there is not much in our life that isn't influenced for some reason some how by Pink Floyds music and history. My wife and I toured around during the Rogers Dark Side tour while she was pregnant with our little guy. So even though he has yet to go see any Floyd related shows yet, he was there! ;-) We have been hearing talks of a Gilmour tour this year, so it looks like Orion will be getting his first Floyd experience soon enough.

May they shine on: Rick and Syd

When I first starting reading your post, my first thought was Waters' DSOTM concert I saw around 2006? It was at the Klipsch Music Center outside Indy (Deercreek back then) there was a lady probably 8-9 months pregnant there. She had her belly painted like the album logo! It looked awesome, great job. Ironic you say your wife was pregnant at a DSOTM concert.

• Like 1

When I first starting reading your post, my first thought was Waters' DSOTM concert I saw around 2006? It was at the Klipsch Music Center outside Indy (Deercreek back then) there was a lady probably 8-9 months pregnant there. She had her belly painted like the album logo! It looked awesome, great job. Ironic you say your wife was pregnant at a DSOTM concert.

Hey Ceptorman, you talking about the Nobelsville IN show? We were there! No painted belly, LOL, but we were at that one.

• Like 1

You're definitely at the right forum.  Pink Floyd is one of my all time favorites even though I've never seen them live.  All my fondest memories of them are a little foggy though.

Excellent CEC! I, sadly, am about too young to have been able to see them live. I could have seen the 94 tour, but I was just starting to get into them at that point, so I missed the boat. I have seen Roger about 10 times though. Great stuff. Gilmour this year!

• Like 1

Welcome! They have made me feel at home, also, as I am new. My Dad was Boxx, and he was a huge PF fan. 

I have seen Roger Waters twice in concert. See my post in "All You PF fans" for my other story....

Hello Maccagirl! Sorry about your loss. I was jamming my Klipsch X7i headphones at work with some Wish You Were Here for him earlier today after I read that post. 

I've never found anything close to PF sound. Every new speaker addition or electronics change I make, it is always PF that is used to adjust the soundscape. Luckily, now we have blu ray audio to adjust sound to. I usually use DSOTM blu ray and now The Division Bell blu ray to make my adjustments. TDB album is such an amazing surround cut. Perfection, if you ask me. Of course, Endless River is getting a lot of play right now as well.

Cheers! LWB

• Like 3

Hey Ceptorman, you talking about the Nobelsville IN show? We were there! No painted belly, LOL, but we were at that one.

Hey FT, that's awesome, yep Deercreek in Noblesville. It was a good show. I did see Pink Floyd (1st tour without Roger) in Indy around 1987. That show made me a Floyd fan.

• Like 1

Hey FT, that's awesome, yep Deercreek in Noblesville. It was a good show. I did see Pink Floyd (1st tour without Roger) in Indy around 1987. That show made me a Floyd fan.

Awesome! My first real introduction to Floyd was an introduction to The Wall DVD on a friends very nice Klipsch system when I was a teenager. It was a great mind expanding and life changing experience! Never looked back after that. They have just always fasinated me realy. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not some anti-other music-superduper-crazy-floyd fanatic though. Well, part of that is me but not anti other music though! I also really get into classical, some metal, a lot of rock and electronic music as well.

Some of my other favs:

Umphreys McGee, Rush, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Joe Bonamassa, Black Sabbath, Mozart, Pachelbel, Metallica, Pantera, Disco Biscuits and so on. No country really.

I bought The Wall in 1979, and I liked them, but I wasn't a completely fanatical fan until I saw them live…..weird I guess.

Nah, I can see that. My experience was... umm... "assisted" with some other "extracurricular activities" to help enlighten me at the time. I think I would have been enlightened either way, but the assistance helped hurry things along I suppose. ;-)

Welcome! They have made me feel at home, also, as I am new. My Dad was Boxx, and he was a huge PF fan. 

I have seen Roger Waters twice in concert. See my post in "All You PF fans" for my other story....

Hello Maccagirl! Sorry about your loss. I was jamming my Klipsch X7i headphones at work with some Wish You Were Here for him earlier today after I read that post. 

I've never found anything close to PF sound. Every new speaker addition or electronics change I make, it is always PF that is used to adjust the soundscape. Luckily, now we have blu ray audio to adjust sound to. I usually use DSOTM blu ray and now The Division Bell blu ray to make my adjustments. TDB album is such an amazing surround cut. Perfection, if you ask me. Of course, Endless River is getting a lot of play right now as well.

Cheers! LWB

Thanks for your kind words. I am always hearing new stuff in PF albums...its amazing what you hear each time your listen. We always had a dog that would howl on cue during Seamus. Like he heard them saying something. Incredible- its not just us.

Talk PF anytime with me. I will always join in.

Cheers back! 

Genevieve

• Like 2

Welcome!

DSOTM was the first CD I bought right after buying my first CD player back in 1985 (or was it 86?)

I still have that CD... pretty good shape too.  I always took care of my CD's like I did records.  

Same here, bought it in 84, along with a new Yamaha cd player, the player was $400! All my friends thought I was crazy spending 2 weeks pay for a new device they're never heard of. And yes, I still have that cd.

• Like 1

Welcome!

DSOTM was the first CD I bought right after buying my first CD player back in 1985 (or was it 86?)

I still have that CD... pretty good shape too.  I always took care of my CD's like I did records.  

Same here, bought it in 84, along with a new Yamaha cd player, the player was $400! All my friends thought I was crazy spending 2 weeks pay for a new device they're never heard of. And yes, I still have that cd.

Isn't funny how we remember stuff like that?  I found my receipt last year... bought a Yamaha CD-500 on Aug 16th, 1986 for $370.  That was closer to 3 or 4 weeks pay for me.  The laser finally gave out after 12 years or so.

Hang on to that early CD!  I think it sounds better than most remastered versions.  It certainly has better dynamics but the MFSL version is very nice too.  

• Like 2

My 1st cd from them was The Wall in 86,then DSOTM, then Momentary Lapse of Reason in 88.

My 1st cd player was in my Fisher stereo rack unit with the 15" woofer tower speakers which included the receiver,cassette,cd, and turntable. I remember purchasing it in 1986 for a combined total of $1200.00.At that time I was making $8.50 an hour running a small deli. I was 17 at the time. Still have all those cd's.

Actually listening to The Division Bell, DSOTM, and Momentary Lapse of Reason right now while I do paperwork while I break in my tube set up. 

My 1st vinyl from them was Ummagumma,then The Final Cut. 

My mother got me into them back with DSOTM.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

Hello everyone! I'm new, obviously. Looking to make friends and share stories, especially Pink Floyd related friends and stories. Please, without Rogers politics or religous views brought up for everyones sake please, tell me a good Pink Floyd story you have, or a general hello.

Hey Floydian Trooper (cool name by the way…love Floyd plus I’m a huge Yes fan and they have a song called Starship Trooper, yes i know i’ve bored you already)…just wanted to say welcome. I’ve seen half of The Floyd (Roger and Nick).

The best Floyd related story (and it’s not very captivating) is that i have a t-shirt that has a picture of Floyd the barber from the Andy Griffith show; but, his image is colored pink -- thus Pink Floyd.  I was in Lake Tahoe a few months back and wore it one evening, I can’t count how many positive comments and looks that i received…one guy actually stopped playing blackjack as i walked by to give me a high five.

oh yeah, one time i saw Roger in concert, Nick Mason was there and sat at the drums for the second set (DSOTM).

Welcome and hope you make tons of friends and enjoy the place.

Steve 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

Pink Floyd - Remember A Day: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=eiy3VMfUOoeXNr2QgsAI&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DAmSjEu57Lxs&ved=0CB4QyCkwAA&usg=AFQjCNFCK1J1oJQY5FwG2GMTQa30EHorfg

Cheers! LWB

Thanks for your kind words. I am always hearing new stuff in PF albums...its amazing what you hear each time your listen. We always had a dog that would howl on cue during Seamus. Like he heard them saying something. Incredible- its not just us.

Talk PF anytime with me. I will always join in.

Cheers back!

Genevieve

Edited by Floydian Trooper