Pink Floyd Fans = Friends

Floydian Trooper

I have seen Roger Waters twice in concert
Genevieve--we have at least two things in common now…

(1)  i’ve seen Roger twice as well (both times at the Hollywood Bowl and both times his second set was the entire Dark Side of the Moon),  

(2)  I liked Boxx a lot too (hope you are doing okay).

Steve

• Like 3

Welcome!

DSOTM was the first CD I bought right after buying my first CD player back in 1985 (or was it 86?)

I still have that CD... pretty good shape too. I always took care of my CD's like I did records.

Same here, bought it in 84, along with a new Yamaha cd player, the player was $400! All my friends thought I was crazy spending 2 weeks pay for a new device they're never heard of. And yes, I still have that cd.

Isn't funny how we remember stuff like that? I found my receipt last year... bought a Yamaha CD-500 on Aug 16th, 1986 for $370. That was closer to 3 or 4 weeks pay for me. The laser finally gave out after 12 years or so.

Hang on to that early CD! I think it sounds better than most remastered versions. It certainly has better dynamics but the MFSL version is very nice too.

Awesome you all!

You have to remember I'm only 33 and didn't even, sadly get into Floyd until late 90s. So, my first album I went with was Obscured By Clouds. I obviously had witnessed The Wall and heard the radio stuff, so I wanted to go obscure off the bat. Thus, my album choice.

I have yet to hear any albums more clear and detailed than the blu ray mixes, but I honestly love my MFSL Atom Heart Mother gold disc the most out of any album I have. The MFSL Meddle is pretty amazing as well. AHM is my favorite album though.

I can't wait for some more blu rays or Immersion Boxsets!

Edited by Floydian Trooper
  • Like 1

Steve,

Thanks for your kind words. I am doing ok, being here on the Forum does help.

Thoughts on Roger's concerts? Have you ever heard Ca Ira? It's nice...

I saw some of Ca Ira on You Tube -- not enough to form an opinion.

Roger’s concerts are fantastic actually. Played nearly identical to an LP -- which i take pleasure in; however, heard a few people bashing that … accusing him of being too technically perfect and not showing any enjoyment.  I disagree with them of course. In addition, I’m a fan of this guitarist named Snowy White and he was part of Roger’s band both times that I saw him.  I do like and respect David Gilmour; but, wasn’t missing him while watching Snowy.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

So, my first album I went with was Obscured By Clouds
Thanks for the reminder … i meant to say in my earlier post about a song that I never hear people talk about; but, i think it’s a totally cool tune off Obscured By Clouds.  Very mellow and I’ve listened to it every day this past week i must admit.

It’s called, "Wot’s … uh the deal?”  One of my favorite Floyd songs. 

Steve

• Like 2

Steve,

Roger’s concerts are fantastic actually. Played nearly identical to an LP -- which i take pleasure in; however, heard a few people bashing that … accusing him of being too technically perfect and not showing any enjoyment. I disagree with them of course. In addition, I’m a fan of this guitarist named Snowy White and he was part of Roger’s band both times that I saw him. I do like and respect David Gilmour; but, wasn’t missing him while watching Snowy.

Very cool. You know, Snowy has played as backup guitarist for Floyd and a lead for Roger since the 70s with Floyd. Thus, why he was so good when you saw him play with Roger. He had many years experience at those Pink Floyd songs. :-)

• Like 1

Steve,

Roger’s concerts are fantastic actually. Played nearly identical to an LP -- which i take pleasure in; however, heard a few people bashing that … accusing him of being too technically perfect and not showing any enjoyment. I disagree with them of course. In addition, I’m a fan of this guitarist named Snowy White and he was part of Roger’s band both times that I saw him. I do like and respect David Gilmour; but, wasn’t missing him while watching Snowy.

Very cool. You know, Snowy has played as backup guitarist for Floyd and a lead for Roger since the 70s with Floyd. Thus, why he was so good when you saw him play with Roger. He had many years experience at those Pink Floyd songs. :-)

snowy also played with phil in thin lizzy for a while, talented guy.

• Like 3

Steve,

snowy also played with phil in thin lizzy for a while, talented guy.

Yes, I really like Snowy. It was sad to only see Roger without all the other guys, but Snowy and John Carin made it as authentic as you could want for a Floyd experience.

Who was the guitarist that played with either Roger or Gilmore's Floyd, (can't remember which one) that played left handed but used a right handed guitar? He did not reverse the strings. He was a younger guy, dark hair. I can pull out my DVDs to find out which band he played with.

• Like 1

I was not a fan of PF until my second year of college. The songs Money, We Don't Need No Education, and Comfortably Numb were always favorites before then, but that was really about it. My roommate was their number 1 fan, and he played their vinyl frequently. Later, the movie The Wall was released, and that solidified it for me. It was then that I realized they were more than just a group. They were storytellers. 

I have been a fan ever since.

The new CD Endless River baffles me a little. I know there is a story being told, but either it's over my head, or I am over thinking it.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Who was the guitarist that played with either Roger or Gilmore's Floyd, (can't remember which one) that played left handed but used a right handed guitar? He did not reverse the strings. He was a younger guy, dark hair. I can pull out my DVDs to find out which band he played with.

I do believe you are talking about the great Dave Kilminster: possibly anyway... http://davekilminster.com/

He toured with Roger during the In The Flesh era and shared lead with Snowy.

I was not a fan of PF until my second year of college. The songs Money, We Don't Need No Education, and Comfortably Numb were always favorites before then, but that was really about it. My roommate was their number 1 fan, and he played their vinyl frequently. Later, the movie The Wall was released, and that solidified it for me. It was then that I realized they were more than just a group. They were storytellers. 

I have been a fan ever since.

The new CD Endless River baffles me a little. I know there is a story being told, but either it's over my head, or I am over thinking it.

Honestly, IMO, you may be over thinking this one. I had to force myself to step back and realize it was unfinshed work. We are not getting Piper, or DSTOM, or WYWH, or Division Bell, we are getting one last horrah, one last glimpse at what they truly enjoyed and enjoyed doing together. Nick even stated in an interview with NME that this one was truly meant to be rough, lost, and all over the place; because it was technically studio jams that were never truly completed with Rick. The only story being told in this one, is the story of playing music together and being happy doing so. Jam sessions, Rick, life, and the awe of music, hence the only song they went in and did new lyrics for being Louder Than Words.

"We ***** and we fight. Dis each other on site, but this thing we do.

These times together. Rain or shine or stormy weather. This thing we do.

It's louder than words, this thing that we do.

Louder than words, the way it unfurls.

It's louder than words, the sum of our parts, the beat of our hearts is louder than words"

I do believe you are talking about the great Dave Kilminster: possibly anyway... http://davekilminster.com/

I had to google it….he played left handed with a regular strung right handed guitar….http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doyle_Bramhall_II

I had to google it….he played left handed with a regular strung right handed guitar….http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doyle_Bramhall_II

OH YEAH! Oh BRAM! I always get he and Kilminster confused. Kilminster was during the DSOTM and WALL tours of the recent Roger Waters tours. Bram was the one during the In The Flesh tour that always wore the funny velvet outfits and crazy stuff like that on stage. He is awesome, so is Kilminster, but Bram was fun to watch. He is the one featured on the In The Flesh DVD.

Ah yes, this slip of instant Floyd knowledge from me only means one thing! I need to watch that DVD when I get home today!

• Like 1

OH YEAH! Oh BRAM! I always get he and Kilminster confused. Kilminster was during the DSOTM and WALL tours of the recent Roger Waters tours. Bram was the one during the In The Flesh tour that always wore the funny velvet outfits and crazy stuff like that on stage. He is awesome, so is Kilminster, but Bram was fun to watch. He is the one featured on the In The Flesh DVD.

Ah yes, this slip of instant Floyd knowledge from me only means one thing! I need to watch that DVD when I get home today!

I'm pulling out the DVDs also!