? for Piano Players, Or someone intimate with one

joessportster

Not intimate like that Perv  :lol:

Nope I was listening to an album and I heard something I have not heard b-4

When listening to Piano the hammer strikes the string which creates the sound (I know more takes place than this I am simplifying for my question) and like a plucked string there is then the decay of said note if a guitar player wants to stop that decay short all they need do is touch the string to stop the vibration.

Is this possible on a piano ?  I ask because listening to Damien Rice 9 crimes I was hearing the decay of the notes very clear and a couple ended abrupt as though intentional, It did not sound like they hit the same key again

Very curious  :D

if a guitar player wants to stop that decay short all they need do is touch the string to stop the vibration.

Is this possible on a piano ?

Yeah, it's called "stop pressing on the keys". :) I think you're asking the opposite of the above response. As soon as you lift up on a piano key it does exactly the same thing as what you're describing with a guitar, although obviously in a mechanical fashion.

The thing with the pedals is that it's all or nothing. The only individual control you have with single notes is to not use the pedal and only press down as much as you care for the note to ring.

A good simple example of this is "Walking In Memphis". Marc Cohn will keep his fingers on the notes to create a sustain effect, but he is not using a pedal. There is no need to. As soon as he shifts to a different chord position he lifts up and that deadens the strings. Notice that strong first note in the riff that sustains through the four note riff then abruptly stops when he shifts positions.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters