Do you really listen in stereo

derrickdj1

Interesting.  When I first saw this thread I thought it was a joke.  I can see "Do your really listen in mono?" from those with very limited musical tastes.  But I rather doubt that music in anything other than mono or stereo accounts for more than 1 percent of available recordings.  Furtwangler remixed in electronically steered surround?  Jimmy Dorsey?  Buddy Holly?  Bix Biederbecke?  Leadbelly? 

I don't think so...  While I'd prefer to have high fidelity multi-channel recordings of all these, I think I'll stick with what we have. 

Dave

For putting the setting on "all channel stereo" ,that's great for when your just using it as background.I could never critically listen in all channel stereo.

No that sounds horrible.

I love the sound of stereo recordings when I select "Enhanced Stereo" which is my NAD T175HD pre/pro's implementation of "all channel stereo".  The sound really envelopes the listener while maintaining spot on imaging with a huge soundstage.  The NAD's version is leaps and bounds better than any other brands AllCh.St. that I have ever heard.

Bill

• Like 1

I love the sound of stereo recordings when I select "Enhanced Stereo" which is my NAD T175HD pre/pro's implementation of "all channel stereo".  The sound really envelopes the listener while maintaining spot on imaging with a huge soundstage.  The NAD's version is leaps and bounds better than any other brands AllCh.St. that I have ever heard.

On concert movies you can choose to play it in stereo on the blu ray player, but then set your receiver to play all the speakers. I don't like that, I assumed he was talking about something like this. I'm assuming you can do the same thing on stereo cd's.

I don't have time to read through all of this right now, maybe tomorrow during coffee. 

But when I want to set and listen, its 2 channel stereo.  I believe with the right setup, no matter where you set imaging is good.  My current setup can be more to the right or left depending how far off center I set.  However imaging is good no matter how far back I set, 11-12' or 20-24'.  I wonder how much will make a difference I wen I have matching bass horns instead of 2 different ones. 

Mark, Dave... whomever...

This is a live recording of a friend of mine in San Diego. He runs a jazz club. Although his guitar is plugged in, and microphones are used, I really enjoy how intimate the setting comes across.

Bruce

• Like 1

On concert movies you can choose to play it in stereo on the blu ray player, but then set your receiver to play all the speakers.

Concert blu-rays, I use the disc's default mode whether it be lossless stereo(hi res) PCM or Dolby TrueHD/DTS HDMA in multichannel with Audyssey MultEQ XT(NAD curve)engaged.

I assumed he was talking about something like this. I'm assuming you can do the same thing on stereo cd's.

For CD's, Pandora, music files, I use stereo or "Enhanced Stereo" with Audyssey MultEQ XT(NAD curve) engaged.

Bill

For putting the setting on "all channel stereo" ,that's great for when your just using it as background.I could never critically listen in all channel stereo.

No that sounds horrible.

Bill

Yes & No.

I listened to CD's and Pandora in "7 Stereo" 90% of the time with my 11 year old Outlaw processor and my reference 7.1 setup.  I think it was Cirrus Surround technology.  I liked it.  It crapped out and I swapped it out with a Pioneer Elite AVR a couple months back, and it does not have this format so I have been listening in stereo mode, but it falls short in my room and I miss the enveloping 7 stereo format.  I haven't has a lot of time to explore, but based on brief listening of the other available formats, none sound as good as the 7 stereo mode the Outlaw offered.  I know the Elite has extra surround formats, but something big is missing or I haven't found the right settings.

With my 2-channel Sansui SS 9090DB and Khorns or Forte's, obviously always pure stereo with the sweet spot smack dab in the middle.  Close my eyes and sometimes it's like wearing some damn good headphones.

I not only listen to mono, I have a dedicated device that provides completely adjustable curves as there was no standard until the 40s.  The improvement is remarkable.  Many of these sound WAY better than CDs. 

Nothing like hearing an original 1926 recording of "Muskrat Ramble" by Kid Ory played back RIGHT.

As my imaging is excellent, the sound emanates precisely from the center...where there is no speaker.  It's uncanny.   Using a multiple speakers doesn't help or hurt if your imaging is good and all processors and such are off.  If you play a mono record on your stereo and hear it from left and right when sitting in the sweet spot it is a sure sign your imaging is less than desirable and needs attention.

Clean 78s, properly equalized, and played back with the correct stylus and pressure can be both very quiet and wide range.  Personally, I'd rather hear Kid Ory himself with a bit of noise than anybody since playing that song in any other format.  That's because for me, it's about the music.

Dave

post-7390-0-24480000-1421452589_thumb.jp

Edited by Mallette