Vintage 1951 Electro Voice Patrician IV for sale bo

Andrea87

After moving into a TV station and theatre owner's residence in 1967 (when I was 5), we have finally sold the wonderful house I grew up in. This Patrician - I believe, the same as seen on the May, 1951 cover of Audio Engineering, has been safely tucked away in another cabinet since installed in the 50s and was still in use delivering beautiful music until 2 years ago, when we placed my mom in a home. There is virtually no wear on the mahogany colored cabinet. It is my understanding that the same model was also used at the TV station and in his movie theatres. In our 1100 Sq ft family room that was cork lined for acoustics, this filled the room so easily with stunningly realistic sound. It was hooked up to a system that included a 78/45 turntable, another 33/16 turntable, a 12" reel to reel audio deck, and a 100-record juke box. We still have the reel to reel and juke box, as well. These were also both working 2 years ago. It sounds like some of Patricians have gone for quite a bit. We would love any audiophiles input on history and, perhaps, what we should sell it for. There is only one, as stereo was not out when the room was designed and custom built. Feel free to email me at Andrea@CareWithConfidence.com and put Speaker in the subject line. Thanks for everyone's help.

Edited by Andrea87

Welcome Andrea. My dad had a single Klipschorn of about the same vintage, but it's long gone. I don't know what you could get for a single speaker like that. A pair would seem to be much more appealing to buyers. Come back and let us know what you plan to do with it. Someone might be interested.

I'm a little confused. It could be a IV to an VIII. Found a link for a pdf of a IV. The pic of the mfg assembled option looks the same. I will try to get a serial number or other info. It seems it uses Klipsch folded horn technology. As I learn more info, I will continue to post here.

Yes CEECA850, that is exactly what it looks like, although I don't know what speakers are behind the screen. I'm assuming it is the same as the pic, as the remodel plans to add the screening/family room was in late 1949 and it was completed around 1951. I will try to post some pics. Thanks for your story ChuckAb3. Yes, I would love to have a pair. But, the room never changed in all the years we lived there. So a 2nd matching speaker wasn't added after stereo came into play. :-)

• Like 1

Hi Mungkiman. I'm not sure. But, I believe so. That is the day we placed it in storage. In another pic, it is still in the secondary built in enclosure. The floor is 12" terrazzo tiles. I'm 5'2" and it is tale than me. I can get exact measurements over the weekend, if you'd like.

Andrea, you have EBay as the best route to command the highest amount of money, and then you have to navigate the shoals whether you are dealing with an honest person or not. I have a Patrician utility speaker sitting in the garage, with the 18" woofer, 12" midwoofer, t25 mid, and t35 tweeter with the correct crossover, and have not been able to sell it in the past year for $1500. Yours is better displayed, but fairly modified, and looks like it is living room ready. Outside of EBay, you may get $1500 to $2000. On EBay, you could get $5K if there is a bidding frenzy. You could also get taken. Korean and Italian buyers are among the largest prominent sharks in vintage circles.

You get around the shipping problem by noting a couple shipping companies in your auction, like Craters and Freighters, and let the buyer be responsible for pickup and shipping entirely.

Yours has the 18" woofer and the 12" midwoofer, but I can't tell for certaing if the horns are Altec or Stephens. That is a beautiful speaker and a wonderful set of memories for you. I'll do a little more digging...

Dave

• Like 1