Vintage 1951 Electro Voice Patrician IV for sale bo

Andrea87

This is not a Patrician... 996a3e1698433d18d707ff79cb96c8c3.jpg But, it was infinitely more important to me, as is my child who was driving it.

take a look at the rear wheel -passenger side - the mag wheel  rim is broken at the top edge -

these SUV's have very little suspension travel -

once you exceed the suspension travel - the chassis lifts naturally and the wheel or wheels are off the ground -what follows is the roll-over -

Edited by Randyh

Nope. Didn't start to roll by hitting the curb. He was in the far left lane, changed lanes into a car in his passenger blind spot. As the car was hit toward the left, he corrected to the right, of course, and the car began to roll between the middle and far left lane, from what I was told. It did a one and a half. The final half is where it might have hit the curb and continued to roll up to its final resting spot. But, not sure. Supposedly, he bounced into the curb, all moving in a forward path. Love your comments. Do you reconstruct accidents or are you an adjuster?

Edited by Andrea87

Thank you. How did I do on the edit? :-)

The edit look fine.  Great job!

+++

I'm glad your son is OK.  The picture of that upside down Jeep is just frightening.

s

-it is like a roller coaster ride but ending on your head upside down -that car will be fixed in no time - these are built like tanks

I owned a single Blonde finish unit.  On the back, it was stamped "Patrician Horn System" and above that was the serial number.  Long story short, I stored it and water got to it.  The entire unit was trashed.  The month before I pulled a factory new and crated, JBL Paragon out of the same place and sold it.  It too would have been ruined.

Regarding the kits-I don't think the kits were given SNs. I've never seen the kit version of the horn.  Not many were sold according to my (deceased) audio mentor.  He owned a HiFi dealership and sold EV products, including the speaker and cabinet finishing kits, raw drivers and so on.  

IN the late 80s, I recall seeing an ad in either Audio or Speaker Builder of someone selling a unopened, Patrician IV kit. 

My EV history is not precise but I think engineering, sales and marketing for these vintage EV speakers were located at the Carroll St. complex and the manufacturing facility on Cecil St., both in Buchanan, MI.  Sometime around 1960, the Cecil St. location was expanded and all of the EV departments worked from the one location.  

Today, the Cecil St. site is a federal super-fund site.  All of the cabinet finishing waste products were disposed of into dry-wells located on site and, as a result, large scale pollution of drinking water across a big part of Buchanan has occurred.  Because of abuses like this, most states (even a 1 or 2 person shop) will not issue a Business Certificate to any businesses that make or refinish furniture, cabinets, etc. without first getting permitted for solvent and VOC releases.  Mitigation systems, permitting and inspection plans add considerable cost to the business plan. 

Speaking from personal experience, some townships in MA "ban", completely, the use of solvents, glues and oils typically found in cabinet making.  Basically, it's NIMBY to the speaker building industry.    

Edited by John Warren

I owned a single Blonde finish unit.  On the back, it was stamped "Patrician Horn System" and above that was the serial number.  Long story short, I stored it and water got to it.  The entire unit was trashed.  The month before I pulled a factory new and crated, JBL Paragon out of the same place and sold it.  It too would have been ruined.

Regarding the kits-I don't think the kits were given SNs. I've never seen the kit version of the horn.  Not many were sold according to my (deceased) audio mentor.  He owned a HiFi dealership and sold EV products, including the speaker and cabinet finishing kits, raw drivers and so on.  

IN the late 80s, I recall seeing an ad in either Audio or Speaker Builder of someone selling a unopened, Patrician IV kit. 

My EV history is not precise but I think engineering, sales and marketing for these vintage EV speakers were located at the Carroll St. complex and the manufacturing facility on Cecil St., both in Buchanan, MI.  Sometime around 1960, the Cecil St. location was expanded and all of the EV departments worked from the one location.  

Today, the Cecil St. site is a federal super-fund site.  All of the cabinet finishing waste products were disposed of into dry-wells located on site and, as a result, large scale pollution of drinking water across a big part of Buchanan has occurred.  Because of abuses like this, most states (even a 1 or 2 person shop) will not issue a Business Certificate to any businesses that make or refinish furniture, cabinets, etc. without first getting permitted for solvent and VOC releases.  Mitigation systems, permitting and inspection plans add considerable cost to the business plan. 

Speaking from personal experience, some townships in MA "ban", completely, the use of solvents, glues and oils typically found in cabinet making.  Basically, it's NIMBY to the speaker building industry.    

ecological business practises cost the same  in 2015 as the offensive-

the local authorities do not issue the required operation permits unless volontary inspections are mandatory and implemented with strict Federal requirements - until the industry cleans up it's act and invests in EPA approved solutions , the industry will not bounce back - and the high paying jobs as well -

Wow John, this is great history and information. It's so sad that the products caused so many problems. My unit is almost definitely factory built. I don't think the kits used this style cabinet. When I get down to storage, I will look on the back and cross my fingers. Thank you.

Here's a scan from a 1955 Leonard Radio Catalog I have.  These catalogs are exceedingly hard to come by.  I've got a number of them here.

In 1955 the average salary in the US was $4100, today it's about $45,000 a multiple of ~11X when compared to 1955.

That would put the Patrican IV at about  $7800/each or about $15k/pr which is not that much more than a pair of Klipschorns today (granted there are size and some cabinet differences but the labor is largely in the folded horn section.

post-864-0-58020000-1423429392_thumb.png

• Like 1

Wow John, this is great history and information. It's so sad that the products caused so many problems. My unit is almost definitely factory built. I don't think the kits used this style cabinet. When I get down to storage, I will look on the back and cross my fingers. Thank you.

the kits tthat were to be assembled were very different from the speaker drawing kits that were available  at a lower cost  - 

-the complete unit  was a non-assembled speaker - -that had no bearing on the value of the unit once assembled -

-as these units were shipped across the world -  the complete kits were much better protected for transport via ships-trains or trucks -dont forget that we were in 55 -

a skilled carpenter would open the box and could do a much better fitting work than a factory cabinet that was subject to mass production -  the parts were all pre-cut at the factory -and the carpenter would follow the instructions , the same way , a worker would at the factory -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this has been settled yet, as I haven't gotten around to reading all seven pages, but it looks like a Patrician IV to me. The IVs were a couple inches taller (62" vs. 60") than the IIIs and a bit narrower. Also the side panels on the IV were at 90 degrees from the front, while the III had the same panels at a bit more of an oblique angle. The Pat III had a 12" mid-bass woofer mounted in a wooden exponential horn on the top of the cabinet. The IV carried some oddball twin horn compression drivers. The IIIs had the early, narrow T-35 tweeter. The IVs could have the early or later T-35, the T-350, which looks like a T-35 time forgot, or even, on occasion an Ionovac tweeter. (I'll have to look that last up, as I am mining dusty corners of my memory here.) Fortunately, all the Electro-Voice T-35 and 350 variants used the same voice coil and diaphragm assembly, and repairs can still be made.

The III I had was a job to get into, as you had to remove the mahogany shroud to get at the smaller drivers. The 18" was accessed through a hatch in the back, just like the Klipschorn. The IV was much simpler - there were tiny brass Philips screws in several of the brass rosettes. Once you got those out, and start from the bottom or the top may swing out prematurely and bop you in the head, the front panel could be lifted up and out of a slot. The woofer was behind a sheet of plywood, and everything else was readily open.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Sorry it has been a while. The Patrician is safely stored and life goes on around me. I was kind enough to have a local expert come by. Drum roll please... It is a standard factory built Patrician IV! I'll have to go back and ask about T-35 vs T-350, as he didn't answer that. What he did do was hooked it up to some device that went through the frequency spectrum and we were very excited when there were no skips or breaks. Of course, I had figured that since they were working perfectly the last I had the pleasure of using them. I did get a reasonable offer. But, he did say they are worth more than double that to the right overseas buyer. I'm not sure I want to get into that. So, I haven't decided what to do yet. My life has been busy with our business and preparing for our twins' hs graduation.

Also, the beautiful house I grew up in with the fabulous 1100 sqft acoustic family room is in the process (since Monday) of being leveled. They should be done today or tomorrow to make way for 5 houses. The end of a legacy and part of my life since 1967. I'll post a before and after pic soon. Thanks again to CaptnBob for your latest info.

• Like 1