Question about internal construction of Forte speakers

Tom_Berkeley

I recently set up my Forte speakers into a more prominent listening position.  As a consequence I decided to install some of Bob Crites tweeter diaphragms and am now considering new crossovers.  In corresponding with Bob regarding the installation he mentioned foam baffles within the Forte cabinet.  Mine do not have any foam installed.  There is an angled brace at the bottom of the cabinet but other than that it is an empty cabinet with the speakers installed.

I am the original owner of these speakers purchased in the 80's from a dealer and they have never been worked on except for the modification I just made.  Can anybody shed some light on whether the Fortes had foam installed internally?  If so should I try to install some?  What would be the benefit?

• Like 1

sounds like someone forgot at the factory. I had a pair of Forte and a pair of Forte ll both had foam damping inside, a section of foam in a "U" shape up around the mid horn(side back side), the foam was not very large. Some damping is a good thing to catch and damp internal resonances and reflections generated by the woofer. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

My CF-4's have the same foam. 

It's like an over sized piece of 1/2 to 3/4" foam 18"x24", then when you stuff it in it becomes a "U" shape with the ends towards the front of the speaker, and the bottom of the "U" almost touching the back.  I had two pieces on mine per section, two sections, each with two pieces of foam folded together behind each woofer.  The foam was loose in the box, but held in place by tension of the folded foam sections.

• Like 1

I think I understand what you both are saying.  so there should be "u" shaped piece of foam behind both the 12" woofer as well as the mid-range horn.  correct?  I may as well stick some in as long as I'm going inside the speaker cabinet anyway.  Of course I've lived without it for 25 years and never noticed!  Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

In my two Forte there was only one piece up around the mid horn top section of the cabinet. That's all you need just enough to catch the internal resonances at upper end of the woofer (800Hz to 1600Hz). The smallest amount to do the job is the best amount. If you want more bass you can re tune the passive radiator by adding 2.5 ounces of dead weight to the inside centre of the passive. This is simple to do easy to undo if you have a change of heart or want to sell them as stock. I use two large steel flat washers bonded on place with a very small amount of five minute epoxy glue. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1