MIT cables and Klipsch La Scala?

taviran

Interesting Maynard, thanks for posting.

We can't keep eliminating "enjoyment" as the principle goal. All this talk that it's "just about the sound" is nonsense. And you can tell it is by simply reviewing the outrageous gear people have, which is well above the minimum requirement for good sound.

Ha!  Another great turn of phrase.  Your usual.  B)

+++

I would also point out that I (like a LOT of others here) probably do have a pretty good ear, a trained ear.  I can listen to two speakers with subtle detail differences and tell you which is better (which one I like) based on a blind listening test.  But once I take either speaker home, it really doesn't matter, you get used to whatever you have, and that becomes the "standard" to your ears.

My analogy is to TV's, most of us can tell the difference between the saturation of black on the screen once the differences are pointed out, but when you get it home, it doesn't matter.  It's just your TV, and you enjoy it just the same, no matter some technical detail.

Edited by wvu80

Don't forget to purchase the cable elevators sold by the wire companies in order to get the most from your "investment".

If buying used a person should check the motor because a rusty, old motor may make a cable elevator stop; however, it probably won't snap all the cables in the elevator shaft. 

Every once in a while my girlfriend has this nightmare where someone has cut the cables and the elevator plummets dozens of stories and disintegrates in a ball of fire on impact; however, this dream usually only occurs after she has ridden the “Tower of Terror” where the ride gives the feel of a cable elevator falling 13 floors.

WOW...I've been away for awhile, this has been an interesting read, but when the gloves come off they come off! I'm just curious what people thought of the Klipsch Palladium and Reference speaker cables, any thoughts?  I'm using Kimber cable 8TC with my Heritage fronts and Monster 12 gauge in rears, and was wondering if anyone uses or has tried them and their opinion? 

Before a right cross comes my way I'll duck out right now......thanks  :ph34r:

I don't care if people like and own fancy cables, but I do care when I see posts trying to convince new people to spend a huge amount on wire when they are budgeting $1000 for a receiver and $2000 on speakers.  Spending any extra money on better speakers and using monoprice wire is money better spent IMHO.  People are free to believe anything, but when they try to convince others that these beliefs are facts if when I start debates.

Have you seen that anywhere you can point to here? I never have. The most I have heard people suggest is "try it, see if you like it." I see no arm twisting of any kind, let along anything along the lines you are suggesting.

Not in this thread, but I have have seen it often enough to bring it up here.

If you come across that post where someone tried to convince a new member to spend a huge amount of money on wire, please do point it out. It would be instructive to see what was said. I really think that is rarer than a 5 legged dog.

It's fairly common practice on some other forums; granted not this one.

• Moderators

Click on or scroll down to:

AUDIO CABLES-THE ULTIMATE TEST OF INTEGRITY

http://www.high-endaudio.com/magaz.html

I find myself agreeing with this guy's efforts the majority of the time

He has produced a ton of words, very entertaining

Thank you for posting this, I had not run into him before. I like his quotes that introduce a subject. You gotta love a guy who is willing to send you his hearing test results and charges $10 per question at Ask Arthur.

I wish his interests in music were more like mine as he had some great information on recordings.

He has a long writeup on K Horns, and I think he has a lot of greats things to consider about them. I wonder if he sold them.

It is a breath of fresh air when some one in the industry can speak without feeling beholden to anyone.

Travis

Peter Aczel (The Audio Critic) makes it very easy. All amps, CDPs, DACs, preamps, sound the same. Any $200 receiver will do, and all you need to do is find speakers you like. He came to this by subjecting himself to continual ABX testing, which is exactly what I predicted would happen. Anyone can see the logic of it. He's a crank. A nut. His magazine in the 70s though was very interesting.

Reminds me of Julian Hirsch.  As I recall, he never found an amp he didn't like.  All were good with the only difference being their power output.

Maynard

I think that he was more along the lines of very high quality amps sound very much alike, at least that is what I took away from him. 

I had a pair of Bryston 7B St's and Classe CAM 350's at the same time.  The 7B's were supposed to be "bright and sterile" and the Classe were supposed to be"warm and romatic."  I found the Brystons and Classe to be "extremely similar and hard to tell apart." 

Maybe just a little tone difference if you went back and forth.  Good quality equipment sounds different than cheapo, but good quality vs good quality it is like comparing a Mercedes to a Lexus.  Virtually the same. 

Peter Aczel (The Audio Critic) makes it very easy. All amps, CDPs, DACs, preamps, sound the same. Any $200 receiver will do, and all you need to do is find speakers you like. He came to this by subjecting himself to continual ABX testing,

Sums up my feelings pretty well.  I use an inexpensive receiver.

which is exactly what I predicted would happen. Anyone can see the logic of it. He's a crank. A nut. His magazine in the 70s though was very interesting.

I must be a crank too then.

Peter Aczel (The Audio Critic) makes it very easy. All amps, CDPs, DACs, preamps, sound the same. Any $200 receiver will do, and all you need to do is find speakers you like. He came to this by subjecting himself to continual ABX testing,

Sums up my feelings pretty well. I use an inexpensive receiver.

which is exactly what I predicted would happen. Anyone can see the logic of it. He's a crank. A nut. His magazine in the 70s though was very interesting.

I must be a crank too then.

Logic error. You might be a crank, but not necessarily.

Sorry, I had assumed that was the reason for your comment.  Never assume...

Re: Arthur Salvatore

I'm happy to see he is plugging away. I first met him in the 70s. He has a lot of true experience and much of what he says is quite true. I think he makes one large error by not understanding that massive margins are prized and respected in business, not reviled and dirty as he suggested. Big margins attract big capital. Watch Shark Tank of you don't think so!

I was also happy he still like all the old Paragon preamps!

Is there ANYTHING you don't claim to know EVERYTHING about

OR

Have something negative to say about, or to correct?

ANYTHING?

But hey, I've got a question for you since you know everything about everything Audio:

Why have not ONE SINGLE PRODUCT from Moore, Franklin and or any of the "Associates" (MFA) been a commercial or a critical success, beyond those units sold to (or given away on permanent loan) to family and friends?  That, or to obscure publications both in print and on-line that maybe 5000 people have ever heard of.

Why is M.F.A. no more? 

And Bruce?

And Scott?

And the "Associates"?

Why is that? 

I'm sure you can clear it all up for me

Thanks

Analogman

Edited by analogman