Equalizer Settings

Jim

harmonics in the ultrasonic range can and do influence those in the audible range.

I would also add that frequencies in the 'subsonic' range have a similar benefit.....at the other end of the spectrum.

• Like 2

I noticed on Amazon that Fostex has a super tweeter for around 1000 dollars that goes up to 50KHZ. Are these things that good or are we splitting hairs here?

JJK

Well - I don't know about the 500's but I do own the Fostex T90A's (x3).  They add a little "air" to the system - but most of us can't hear above 17khz - but I think we sense the harmonics of those higher frequencies  that present themselves differently...I can tell when they are on or not (and I have them turned down very low...you'd have to walk up to them and put you ear down to them to discern that they are separate from the rest of the speakers).  I enjoy what they bring to the system, but that's subjective - isn't it ;) 

Do a search on google for the yamaha you will find all info you need.

I initially did a search on it and apparently I did something wrong. The pics I found showed the XLR in/out connections and I assumed it was analog. My mistake. Did a search yesterday and it immediately popped up showing that it is a digital parametric EQ.

My DEQ2496 has these connections as well but I've never used them. I've only used the optical connection for digital. So now I have to wonder how the XLR connections compare sonically to the optical.....or  if it makes no difference at all. The only thing I know is from what I've read and that is optical wire is not supposed to have any interference issues with other cables, equipment etc.?

The way I'm hooked up now is that I have a unit (Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus) to convert all my digital devices to optical so I can go into the optical input of the 2496. How do I hook up this digital XLR connection? Does the XLR have to be balanced? Can it just be an XLR-RCA adaptor to go in and out? I really have no idea...

...the reason I'm asking is because I wanted to try this in another system in the house but I thought it was analog.

Edited by SWL

Are you saying have the forum won't hear the benefit of a super tweeter, lol.

At my age, I won't "hear" a super tweeter at all, or even all of a normal tweeter.  However, I DO hear whether these frequencies are present or not from experience.  My sense of it is that it's actually much like really still hearing them.  Hard to explain, but it seems the brain sort of synthesizes the information it expects from the ear.

Dave

Do a search on google for the yamaha you will find all info you need.

I initially did a search on it and apparently I did something wrong. The pics I found showed the XLR in/out connections and I assumed it was analog. My mistake. Did a search yesterday and it immediately popped up showing that it is a digital parametric EQ.

My DEQ2496 has these connections as well but I've never used them. I've only used the optical connection for digital. So now I have to wonder how the XLR connections compare sonically to the optical.....or  if it makes no difference at all. The only thing I know is from what I've read and that is optical wire is not supposed to have any interference issues with other cables, equipment etc.?

The way I'm hooked up now is that I have a unit (Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus) to convert all my digital devices to optical so I can go into the optical input of the 2496. How do I hook up this digital XLR connection? Does the XLR have to be balanced? Can it just be an XLR-RCA adaptor to go in and out? I really have no idea...

...the reason I'm asking is because I wanted to try this in another system in the house but I thought it was analog.

Yes you can use an adaptor for the connection that is the way I use them, no issues at all just test the adaptors when you get them to be sure they are in the correct phase...

Yes you can use an adaptor for the connection that is the way I use them, no issues at all

This is cool. I just compared my cd player hooked up optical vs xlr digital with no audible difference in sound quality. This allows me to free up another input in my digital preamp. :emotion-21:

• 3 years later...
On 1/27/2015 at 6:23 AM, Mallette said:

I find my EQ works best set to flat, and to ensure proper isolation I keep it in the closet.  :P

Dave

This is what I think and it won't get you much. If the recording studio was making the recording in my room they would have setting adjusted to make the recording sound good for my room. Everything they use is different than what I am using. My room sucks compared to theres. Why would you think it will sound like they heard it with these shortcomings? Use a few knobs on a good eq or keep changing equipment until it gets to a point you can stand to listen to it! I am not going to suffer with bad sound just because audiophiles say thats the way to do it. Life's to short to put up with problems that are easy fixes. I know this is a older post but thought it would be a good way to get the freq chart back to the top.

Note I spoke personally. I've been on this forum a LONG time and the one thing I've learned is that it is metaphysically absurd, as well as supremely arrogant, to think I can know what YOU hear. You do anything to your system that makes it sound better for you, with my encouragement and blessing. I've just found that, for my personal tastes, one needs only Klipsch Heritage, a clean and neutral source chain, and a first class recording (the hardest part to find!) to get what my ears want to hear. 

Dave

• Like 1

This is a funny thread for me to read from start to finish because it sort of summarizes what most of us have found........but also why I do what I do.

EQ.........is good!

But adding components can be heard.  Definitely!

But, some components are far less noisier than others and represent acceptable compromise.

Cost is usually higher for the REALLY quiet units.

Oh well, good sound is important.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2015 at 8:08 PM, derrickdj1 said:

One thing I don't understand, Auddysee users undo so many things and yet, this is the bigdog autocorrection system.

Most Audyssey users I know get the kinks out of their room response by running Audyssey with all 8 mic positions, then turn up their subwoofers a bit to compensate for the custom of attenuating bass on the part of recording companies (see Chris A's The Missing Octave, etc.)  Some also use their bass controls if they aren't using DEQ.  Harman research found that most people like the bass end about 8 or 9 dB higher than the treble end.  It's better to turn up the bass end of a smooth curve than to turn up a kinky curve, unless you like kinky. 

I think Dirac Live is considered the "big dog" on the autocorrection block, not Audyssey.  But my Khorn system (see signature) has never sounded as good as it does now with painstaking Audyssey correction.