Your Favorite Acoustic Music ?

joessportster

Get this one Joe, I highly recommend it.....

41jXdtEJxvL.jpg

A Meeting By The River -- SACD

Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt

1993/2008 Waterlily/Analogue Productions

A Meeting by the River can best be described as a spontaneous outpouring of music, unhindered by convention or form, brought into being by musicians so supremely capable that the music is never labored, the technique of their craft always subservient to the final product. Cooder and Bhatt are genuine masters of the guitar and mohan vina, respectively. The latter, an instrument created by Bhatt himself, is a sort of hybrid between a guitar and a vichitra vina, and is played with a metal slide. This fact is just one of the many things that connect Bhatt's playing to Cooder's, who plays nothing but bottleneck guitar here. The musical interplay between Cooder and Bhatt is nothing short of astounding, especially so considering that they met for the first time only a half-hour before the recording of this album. The voices of the two instruments blend marvelously, first alternating melodic statements, then doing so together, each dancing around the other, playing cat and mouse, probing, answering, reflecting. They are ably accompanied by a pair of percussionists: tabla player Sukhvinder Singh Namdhari and Cooder's own son, Joachim, on dumbek. A Meeting by the River is one of those few cross-genre albums in which the listener never feels for a second that there is some kind of fusion going on; one does not hear the component parts so much as the integrated whole. However, one can theoretically separate guitar from vina, America from India, the Mississippi from the Ganges. Once this is done, the resulting music makes more sense than ever before, the combination of two traditions of stringed instruments that use slides to produce sound and value improvisation and voice-like phrasing. As good as this sounds on paper, the actual results are even more impressive. The splendor of the music is aided in its transmission by the fact that, like all Water Lily Acoustics releases, this album is masterfully recorded; each instrument is clear, distinct, and three-dimensional sounding. A Meeting by the River is a must-own, a thing of pure, unadulterated beauty, and the strongest record in Cooder's extensive catalog. ~ Daniel Gioffre

Track Listing
1. A Meeting by the River
2. Longing
3. Ganges Delta Blues
4. Isa Lei

Personnel: Ry Cooder (bottleneck guitar); Vishwa Mohan Bhatt (mohan vina); Sukhvinder Singh Namdhari (tabla); Joachim Cooder (dumbek).Recorded at Christ The King Chapel, St. Anthony's Seminary, Santa Barbara, California in September 1992. Includes liner notes by Jelaluddin Rumi.All songs written by Ry Cooder and V.M. Bhatt, except "Isa Lei" (Lieut. A.W. Caten).A MEETING BY THE RIVER won the 1994 Grammy Award for "World-Music Album".

It is truly one of the most amazing disc's I own.   yes.gif

Dennie 

• Like 1

I can listen to Dave and Tim Live at Radio City on a loop, especially when I am cleaning.

I also love Pearl Jam and Nirvana Unplugged.

I can't wait to try some of the suggestions in this thread, my acoustical experience is quite limited.

Almost anything that is done by Edgar Meter (working with Yo-yo Ma, Jerry Douglas, Mike Marshal, Chris Thile). His ensemble work and compsitions are superb.

Chuck Perrin (CDs and DVDs are mostly sold locally in San Diego, but he has a lot on youtube. Excellent jazz musicians working with him)

"Hands," by Dave Holland and Pepe Habichuelo (incredible, all acoustic with Hollond on Bass and Habichuelo on guitar. There is rhythm and percussion provided by all the musicians.

Bela Fleck acoustic material.

• Like 1

My Kid Ory original recording of "Muskrat Ramble," now closing in on a hundred years old, certainly ranks high.  So real, fresh, and intimate in a way transfers never seem to be.  The Virgil Fox "Fox Touch" for sure.  Close to my vote for best analog discs ever.  My 1961 "Best of Louis Armstrong" is another, and even after having it 15 years or so Louis spooky presence to my left is palpable.  A 90s re-master to LP, one of best such I've ever heard, of Buddy Holly's work is a mindbender, as is a Jan and Dean of the same vintage.

List could get pretty long, but these would all be crowd pleasers for audiophiles regardless of their attitude towards the genre. 

Dave

So many great ones, but here are a few great sounding ones that I have recently been listening too:

Luther Dickinson "Hambone's Meditations"

Taylor guitars put out two CDs called "Sounds of Wood and Steel" that are various artists playing Taylor guitars.  Just outstanding and beautiful sounding!

Al Di Meola "All Your Life"  (Beatles tribute by Al recorded at Abby Road last year)

41jXdtEJxvL.jpg

Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt

A Meeting by the River can best be described as a spontaneous outpouring of music, unhindered by convention or form, brought into being by musicians so supremely capable that the music is never labored, the technique of their craft always subservient to the final product. Cooder and Bhatt are genuine masters of the guitar and mohan vina, respectively. The latter, an instrument created by Bhatt himself, is a sort of hybrid between a guitar and a vichitra vina, and is played with a metal slide. This fact is just one of the many things that connect Bhatt's playing to Cooder's, who plays nothing but bottleneck guitar here. The musical interplay between Cooder and Bhatt is nothing short of astounding, especially so considering that they met for the first time only a half-hour before the recording of this album. The voices of the two instruments blend marvelously, first alternating melodic statements, then doing so together, each dancing around the other, playing cat and mouse, probing, answering, reflecting. They are ably accompanied by a pair of percussionists: tabla player Sukhvinder Singh Namdhari and Cooder's own son, Joachim, on dumbek. A Meeting by the River is one of those few cross-genre albums in which the listener never feels for a second that there is some kind of fusion going on; one does not hear the component parts so much as the integrated whole. However, one can theoretically separate guitar from vina, America from India, the Mississippi from the Ganges. Once this is done, the resulting music makes more sense than ever before, the combination of two traditions of stringed instruments that use slides to produce sound and value improvisation and voice-like phrasing. As good as this sounds on paper, the actual results are even more impressive. The splendor of the music is aided in its transmission by the fact that, like all Water Lily Acoustics releases, this album is masterfully recorded; each instrument is clear, distinct, and three-dimensional sounding. A Meeting by the River is a must-own, a thing of pure, unadulterated beauty, and the strongest record in Cooder's extensive catalog. ~ Daniel Gioffre

Track Listing

2. Longing

3. Ganges Delta Blues

4. Isa Lei

Personnel: Ry Cooder (bottleneck guitar); Vishwa Mohan Bhatt (mohan vina); Sukhvinder Singh Namdhari (tabla); Joachim Cooder (dumbek).Recorded at Christ The King Chapel, St. Anthony's Seminary, Santa Barbara, California in September 1992. Includes liner notes by Jelaluddin Rumi.All songs written by Ry Cooder and V.M. Bhatt, except "Isa Lei" (Lieut. A.W. Caten).A MEETING BY THE RIVER won the 1994 Grammy Award for "World-Music Album".

Dennie 

I have that one Dennie, do you have Ali Farke Tour with Ry Cooder, Talking Timbuktu..................It is also OUTSTANDING and a Favorite of mine

Joe Henry, Shuffletown

Joe Holland Quartet, Klipsch Tapes has some awesome moments

• Like 1

41jXdtEJxvL.jpg

Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt

Track Listing

2. Longing

3. Ganges Delta Blues

4. Isa Lei

Dennie 

I have that one Dennie, do you have Ali Farke Tour with Ry Cooder, Talking Timbuktu..................It is also OUTSTANDING and a Favorite of mine

Joe Henry, Shuffletown

Joe Holland Quartet, Klipsch Tapes has some awesome moments

Yes I do and it is also a favorite.  I also have the Klipsch Tapes on DVD Audio.

I do not have that Joe Henry album and it's going quite high on Amazon.  I'll let my used music dealer know I'm looking for it and hopefully he can come up with it a little cheaper.   ;)

Thanks,

Dennie

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds. #41 and Say Goodbye.

Dispatch. Not all is acoustic but it is very heavily acoustically oriented.

Jake Shimabukuro

Monte Montgomery

Bawn and the Mash, lead singer is a personal friend of ours, kind of like progressive bluegrass with local elements in the lyrics. Here's an entire concert, first one is my favorite.

John Hartford. Big hero of the aforementioned band.

Eddie and Alonzo Pennington, fairly local Kentucky father and son, Eddie was friends with my grandfather and won a national fingerpicking championship several years in a row and tried to give it a rest. The next year his son Alonzo went and won it. These guys are badasses.

John Butler Trio

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Thanks for mentioning John Hartford. Always John Hartford. Among the best pickers and fiddlers ever and a very nice guy to boot. (Had the privilege of meeting and talking to him).  Too many to mention all my favorites, but Allyson Krause, Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson, Clapton Unplugged and even the Stones ('Stripped' album) also come to mind just off the top.

An interactive timeline-based picture of "acoustic" genre (proper) since you didn't specify any other genre...

https://research.google.com/bigpicture/music/#FOLK%2CACOUSTIC

And more on the interactive music genre timeline...

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154821-interactive-music-genre-timeline/

Chris

Edited by Chris A