Oppo 103....I stand corrected

AaronH

ok, I ordered this player and had my friend come over to A/B this player blinded, vs my Sony s5100. I watched 10 mins of 3 different movies, then he did also. Weird that we both picked the oppo for all 3 movies. Being a computer gamer, maybe that was the reason I picked the oppo because I'm used to anti alising and the filtering capabilities of a high end video card. The images looked sharper and more fluid. I was against the hype of the oppo, but I am man enough to say I was wrong. Build quality is also what people have described. Flame away however, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your insight. I'm thinking about getting one for myself. A side note, how do you like that Outlaw Model 7500?

Definitely try it out for the 30 day trial period. I absolutely love my outlaw 7500!! I see you have an xpa, thinking of switching out?

I have & recommend the same OPPO BDP-103. Congrats on landing a great piece of new gear! I've always been curious about the Darbee Edition. Curious to see if the additional VDP modes enhance or distract.

That's a pretty killer avatar you've got there Nismo!

I recently sold my SR20 S13. I miss that car...  :wub:

ok, I ordered this player and had my friend come over to A/B this player blinded, vs my Sony s5100. I watched 10 mins of 3 different movies, then he did also. Weird that we both picked the oppo for all 3 movies. Being a computer gamer, maybe that was the reason I picked the oppo because I'm used to anti alising and the filtering capabilities of a high end video card. The images looked sharper and more fluid. I was against the hype of the oppo, but I am man enough to say I was wrong. Build quality is also what people have described. Flame away however, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your insight. I'm thinking about getting one for myself. A side note, how do you like that Outlaw Model 7500?

Definitely try it out for the 30 day trial period. I absolutely love my outlaw 7500!! I see you have an xpa, thinking of switching out?

Yeah, I would like to get a seven channel amp and the 7200 is on sale atm. Is there any hissing to speak of with your unit?

I have posted pics of the difference and its pretty easy to see. I also didn't think I would see or hear any difference. I was just looking for a good solid player that would last and play anything. Never did I think I would see a night and day difference. I was wrong as well. 

I bought the Oppo 93 a few years ago along with my Sony flat panel and have similar comments on the picture.

Interesting story: I had the Sony display calibrated professionally (excellent investment, BTW), and when he was done making the adjustments, he offered to adjust the Oppo as well. He puts in a reference disc, viewing some test tracks and frames, then looks at me and asks where I got the machine. I explained Oppo to him, then he looks at me and says "That's one helluva player - it needs no adjustment". The tech was VERY impressed with it, stating that he's never calibrated such a setup where the Blu-Ray matched a properly calibrated display in that manner with no adjustments.

• Like 1

Do you run hdmi or analog for sound?

Both
My receiver DAC is the same as the oppo, so I just send it bitstream to the receiver. Can't say I hear any difference with hdmi between the 2 players
My oppo DOES NOT have the same or similar dac as my Pioneer dac. My pioneer dac is not the same as my wyred dac.

For 2 channel, I run coax out from oppo to wyred then unbalanced to pioneer pre out to amp. For multi channel music, I run bitstream hdmi to pioneer pre out to amp.

I've tried every single iteration and connection method and this set up is where things sound the best.

Optical doesnt sound as good as coax, hdmi to pioneer doesnt sound as good as coax to wyred.

My receiver DAC is the same as the oppo

Not the same but both pretty good.

Yamaha RX-A1030

ESS Technology ES9006 SABRE™ Premier Audio DAC

Oppo BDP-103

Cirrus Logic CS4382A (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz)

Bill

Thanks for the clarification Bill. So both are good? Would you bitstream or pcm? basically, which one is better? 

My receiver DAC is the same as the oppo

Not the same but both pretty good.

Yamaha RX-A1030

ESS Technology ES9006 SABRE™ Premier Audio DAC

Oppo BDP-103

Cirrus Logic CS4382A (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz)

Bill

Thanks for the clarification Bill. So both are good? Would you bitstream or pcm? basically, which one is better? 

Only way to know is try it both ways and decide.

If you are talking BD movies and concerts, just run it HDMI bitstream and let the receiver do the decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA..

With CD's and other digital media(Pandora, Spotify, local music files), try it both ways to see which Dac you like best.

Bill

I have & recommend the same OPPO BDP-103. Congrats on landing a great piece of new gear! I've always been curious about the Darbee Edition. Curious to see if the additional VDP modes enhance or distract.

The darbee comes into play when the display is much larger. On a smaller display of 70" or less it isn't as notice ale but when you get to 100" screens and above it shows it value and worth. I have tested it on my 70" elite LED TV and then on my 120" to the 163" and it truly becomes essential for projector owner s IMO
  • Like 1

The darbee comes into play when the display is much larger. On a smaller display of 70" or less it isn't as notice ale but when you get to 100" screens and above it shows it value and worth. I have tested it on my 70" elite LED TV and then on my 120" to the 163" and it truly becomes essential for projector owner s IMO

+1. Imo its a must for anyone with a projector set up. Turing it on and off and watching how details in the skin and other things come out from no where. It really pulls detail out from thin air. You can really see it in the face. It also tightens everything else. Its surprising how out of focus it looks when you turn it off. Great tech  :emotion-21: . They fact that oppo wanted it in their players says a lot about it. 

I have the Oppo 103.  I run the HDMI out to my Outlaw Audio 975 preamp.  Anyone else notice a delay in the start of the songs on CDs from the Oppo? I get that a lot.  Annoying.  I guess I could go analog out and just use the DAC in my preamp, but seems like I should not have too do that.

I have the Oppo 103.  I run the HDMI out to my Outlaw Audio 975 preamp.  Anyone else notice a delay in the start of the songs on CDs from the Oppo? I get that a lot.  Annoying.  I guess I could go analog out and just use the DAC in my preamp, but seems like I should not have too do that.

I don't get this on CD's, Blue Ray audio or DVDA's, but I do get this on a SACD once in a blue moon.

You can tell the difference using Darbee on a 64" plasma.  I can on mine.  There's a function which allows you to see the screen with Darbee implemented on it vs not and It's noticeable for me.  Obviously, more subtle than on a projector screen, but you can see it.  My whole thought process was if I'm going to spend $500 on a media player, I may as well spend $100 more for a feature I may find useful, which is more expensive when purchased as a standalone.  I was more than happy to retire my PS3, which started to sound like a jet engine when playing Blu-rays.  What I love most about the Oppo is it's silent and can play all of my music (or movies), whether stereo or multi-channel audio files like a champ.  All stored on a portable hard drive.

• Like 1