Sub $1K Tube Power Amps

TJIann

OK.  I love my McIntosh MC2105.  But thinking about getting a tube power amp as well.  Leaning towards the Dynaco 70, possibly one of the new kits to build.  Wondering if there are other affordable tube amps in the sub $1K range I should consider as alternatives?  Thanks.

Tim

Here are two companies to look at.  One is Antique Sound Lab and the other is Prima Luna. I have had 2 integrated amps from Antique sound lab and liked both of them. They do make straight power amps as well. Have only read about the other company's products.

• Like 2

There are 2 on here that I know of that make and sell amps.

One specializes in near sound listening and smaller amps, and the other is mixed. I haven't purchased from either of them, but they have been extremely helpful with information and time.

Justin (ampsandsound.com) has helped me with several things without asking for a dime and I have read that many on here are extremely happy with his amps. I am actually speaking to him on a purchase as I need a higher powered amp.

The other is Maynard (tubefanatic) who does the near sound listening. He also has been very helpful with information. he does more of the 3-4 watt amps.

Both have been recommended by other forum members and if you can, should give them a shout.

I'm sure there are several others on here that do the same, I just haven't met them yet. I do know Justin has a few that are under $1,000.00.

Hope this helps give another avenue to finding someone. 

Edited by Jim
  • Like 4

I am tickled to death with the Jolida FX-10 I purchased from a Forum member.  It's very attractive, has a remote, and drove the Frazier Model Elevens I sold last year (275 lbs, refrigerator size) magnificently. 

The build quality is very nice, but the quality control apparently isn't very good.  People love or hate 'em, depending on how it works out.  I had to change out the tubes, but I got lucky I guess.  If you could find a used one that the seller stands by, it's worth a shot to experience tube sound.  If you really like it, then you could move up to a more "hallowed" design if you want and use it for an office or second system.  Mine spends most of it's time now driving Frazier Mark IVs in the master bedroom where the PAW thinks it's beautiful, and I use it when I need to take a small system somewhere. 

Dave 

• Like 1

I am tickled to death with the Jolida FX-10 I purchased from a Forum member.  It's very attractive, has a remote, and drove the Frazier Model Elevens I sold last year (275 lbs, refrigerator size) magnificently. 

The build quality is very nice, but the quality control apparently isn't very good.  People love or hate 'em, depending on how it works out.  I had to change out the tubes, but I got lucky I guess.  If you could find a used one that the seller stands by, it's worth a shot to experience tube sound.  If you really like it, then you could move up to a more "hallowed" design if you want and use it for an office or second system.  Mine spends most of it's time now driving Frazier Mark IVs in the master bedroom where the PAW thinks it's beautiful, and I use it when I need to take a small system somewhere. 

Dave 

I actually have a Jolida FX 10 and their tube DAC.  Love them.  But, for this particular application, I am looking for a tube power amp only to A/B with my McIntosh in my main system.  I use the Jolida in another room.  Killer amps and look awesome. 

the nice thing about an amp kit is you save money on the cost, and you can use better components if you choose. I would put my ST120 amp up against any tube amp out there, and I have the pride to know I built it myself. Check this site out:tubes4hifi home page

Seriously thinking about building an amp.  :)  But Justin's (ampandsound) Stereo 15 is tempting too.  :)

Seriously thinking about building an amp.    But Justin's (ampandsound) Stereo 15 is tempting too. 

I heard one of Justins Amps at the Chicago get together. It belonged to Jimjimbo and it was so good Jim had to sneak out so that I couldn't "borrow" it.

I couldn't have cared less about tube amps until I heard that one !  

• Like 3

Most likely wont bump into this but just in case keep an eye out for a TAD-60

I found mine on Chicago Craig s list with makes scene as the builder was from Chicago and it was a very small run. I paid sub 450.00 and it came with a pair of bookshelf speakers and some wire.

I also had his TAD-150 pre amp but sold it because I found a McIntosh C2300 Pre that you could not tell apart from the 150 and I liked the Mac "look" better

TAD-60 Love it 

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1129061242&&&/Tube-Audio-Design-TAD-60-Tube-amp

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=171840972871793&set=a.171839766205247.48314.100001376748523&type=3&theater

About TAD also Note Paul is no longer with us.

My 21st Year! The 2007 TAD-60 is China made to my specifications. Made in the BEZ transformer factory - Edmund Lam,PhD of HK is my Chinese speaking production engineer (his weekend hobby ) - he does paper design work for me to help make my tube amp conceptual designs a practical production reality. Paper designs are PhD engineering work - I do creative hands on refinement engineering (the Edison creative part) to make flawed rigid paper designs perform up to my level in the real world. Edmund is my connection to tiny off the wall Chinese factories. We work very well together - I'm the director, he is the producer or something like that. Together we make tube amps happen in China. Keep in mind all TAD custom manufactured Chinese BEZ made tube amps are US hand finished on my bench, designs finalized, upgrades installed (some design secrets are best not shared ? they like to copy too much, called flattery over there). The TAD-60 stereo tube amp sounds amazing and is built to last (no PC board and more). Has a built-in precision LED bias meter (I designed in Chicago around a precise cassette recorder LED VU meter chip, Edmund finished the meter PC board layout and production in Hong Kong) Click the link to learn more and buy one now while you can at this price! Warehouse cleaning - I have 1/2 a skid load of rough cartons that likely have a little scratch here, little dent there. Still look very nice, just not perfect - mainly cartons look ugly indicating they had a rough ride. Buy one now and save! Full 3-year US serviced limited warranty. Brand new. Each and every one hand finished on my bench. Extremely simple inside, in 300 years somebody can easily take the cover off and see the circuit. Built for Sound - Built to Last! 
Update: I have inspected the remaining few - mainly the cartons are ugly, amp inside is basically perfect! I also have located a few replacement outer cartons I will use to dress the package back to new looking condition. **June 26, 2007: Only a few left at this price (sold a bunch this weekend from this asylum ad- thanks!) - buy one now for only $999 while I have stock on hand!

We're growing! New business structure late June 2007: Tube Audio Design,LLC, Paul Grzybek, President. Will be selling new 100% US hand made tube amps with US custom made parts 100% Paul Grzybek designed and built - I did this 10-years ago, time to do it again! I?m tired of sharing my lifetime of extensive tube audio vintage hi-fi restoration research and development with the Chinese who think it is the highest compliment to copy my work. Prices will be higher - called the Artisan Series, very limited production - perhaps 1-2 each month. Made with a collection of fine US sourced parts including custom wound transformers and numerous high-grade under chassis parts I find perform best. A few of you own my one off custom design amps that are used daily and are thoroughly loved. I'm looking to step up to a faster domestic production pace, amps 100% made on my bench time and body willing. Too many low quality low price flawed design crummy PC board Chinese tube amps are flooding the market, check eBay etc, every day I discover a new one. I do not wish to become part of this dumped on the market category. Doesnt work, sorry Charlie buy another one, China will make more! Not for me ? going back to what we did best in Chicago back in the 1960s: Making tube amps!

What else is going on? The new Aural Ecstasy TAD-805SD speakers and subs lately comprise my main business volume. Check them out! June 2007 the 5th generation furniture grade finished 805SD bookshelf speakers replace the former light weight vinyl (Aural Ersatz) 803SD. Now much heavier soundproof sidewall construction; highly refined using hundreds of 803 owner feedback comments to develop the new 805 model in the right direction. I am in the speaker business, and produce highly acclaimed custom US hand crafted tubes amps. NEW!! The TADAC (TAD Tube DAC) is sweeping the market! Finally a tube DAC that makes digital sound like analog LPs! (a US/HK design over a 2-year stretch. Again 100% my concept, my chip selection, my unique highly refined tube circuit, my audio path to various sections layout, my features and build style) Edmund(mentioned above) in Hong-Kong did the paper crunch production engineering (his first paper designed attempt was absolutely terrible sounding, together we worked very hard to make the refined final TADAC sound just amazing, the 5th total rework was the charm. Only sold through TAD in the USA. Our absolute best sounding product to date. One of the hottest items I have is the Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord; I ship them to happy customers every day. The power cord experts agree the ILJ is a very difficult power cord to pass up, especially for the price. Cord shoot out recommended. Buy one to try, come back to buy for your entire audio rack, the price is right.

The 21st year, growing in directions you suggest. I appreciate your support. Stay tuned lots more coming! Internet only keeps the quality high and prices low. 21 more years coming up. Staying small, doing it right. Paul 

Edited by RagingBullWinkle