Troubleshooting SL1200 tonearm

TheEvan

It's my son's TT. Poor thing has suffered some abuse.

Anyway, with tracking force and anti-skate applied,it wants to drift hard to the right...hard enough to fall right off the record & platter. It seems to calm down when getting toward the label. So it must not be a binding tonearm wire, right?

You may have to pull the tonearm assembly out and check for binding wires or a problem with the anti skate. If it had been remover before, and if the anti skate was not set to 0 it may not be functioning at all.

When disassembling you must turn the anti skate to 0 and leave it there when re-assembling. (I have a 1200 and made that mistake).

KAB is a great resource for anything Technics 1200

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

So is Vinylengine: http://www.vinylengine.com/

Edited by cyto

I, too, was having antiskate issues. Kevin, from KAB, told me that things can get kind of tight in the tonearm assembly. He recommended heating the assembly up to try to loosen anything that could have built up and could be causing trouble. I have no idea if this would help solve your issue. I'm in agreement with the comment above to disassemble. You'll likely find an issue.

Edited by ebertsj

Anyway, with tracking force and anti-skate applied,it wants to drift hard to the right...hard enough to fall right off the record & platter. It seems to calm down when getting toward the label. So it must not be a binding tonearm wire, right?

right

Evan,

With all things being normal other than the problem you mentioned, it is for sure anti-skate related. I have a SL1200 and have replaced the tonearm and other parts easy to work on let me know if you need help.

Evan,

With all things being normal other than the problem you mentioned, it is for sure anti-skate related. I have a SL1200 and have replaced the tonearm and other parts easy to work on let me know if you need help.

Will do, Mr Canyon. I'm going to be brave and tackle this...very slowly & carefully!