Tweeters for Khorns

Hornmiester

The K400/401 has the greatest single impact upon the sound of a Khorn or Lascala. The Crites CT125 is a direct drop in phenolic diaphragm ferro fluid damped tweeter replacement for the K77, it has the exact same horn lens but with the inclusion of a phase plug. Not the cup of tea for all but many like it very much, I did in my Heresy. The CT125 will be your least expensive and easiest alternative tweeter option and would be a good place to start. Bob Crites also has other horn and driver options but they will be both more expensive and more complex to experiment with.

There are many Khorn and Lascala owners on line here who have used different horns and drivers so you might want to check the archives for a wide assortment of threads and possible contacts. I am sure that owners with different horns/drivers will comment as well. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 2

Everyone's ears are different, but with the stock K-55m, I liked the factory K77 the best with my K-horns. I tried the Crites CT125 and they sounded good, but didn't have as much output. I have also run the Beyma CP25 and it was just too hot for the K55 IMO. For the money, the K55 and K77 combo is pretty darn good.  If you want a bigtime improvement, look at a custom mid horns from Volti and use the factory drivers, then upgrade them in time.

Edited by Max2
  • Like 3

if one were to go about looking for different tweeters but stipulated that they must drop in with zero adjustments then the options will be very few indeed. Klipsch Heritage have auto transformers for a reason. Best regards Moray James.

PS: I would suggest to those who tried the CT125 but did not like them to try a pair with the ferro fluid removed. That ought to make a big difference and your power handling will be no worse than a K77.

PS: I would suggest to those who tried the CT125 but did not like them to try a pair with the ferro fluid removed. That ought to make a big difference and your power handling will be no worse than a K77.

Would you mind elaborating on how to do this?  I put CT125's in Cornwalls - seems like it took some dynamics away.

Would you mind elaborating on how to do this?  I put CT125's in Cornwalls - seems like it took some dynamics away.

disassemble the driver lift up the butterfly and remove it from the motor. Use paper towel to absorb the oil from the vc and from out of the gap. When the paper is coming out of the gap clean you have all the oil. Re assemble the driver and align the butterfly, this is not difficult to do by ear with a cd test tone. Tighten everything back up nice and snug install and check your alignment job with music in the system. Obviously if you want to put the fluid back in you will need to buy some from Bob it is very easy to install as the oil is loaded whit micro iron and is sucked right into the gap. I am not generally a fan of fluid cooled drivers but I have to say that I liked the CT125 sound with the fluid and left it in mine. without the fluid I would guess the power handling to be about the same as a K77 which is around 5 watts continuous. That's just a guess but it is probably close and that's fine for a tweeter like this. Hope that helped. Best regards Moray James.

%5bquote+name%3d%22Monty%22+post%3d%221829060%22+timestamp%3d%221421863148%22%5d%0a%5bquote+name%3d%22moray+james%22+post%3d%221828827%22+timestamp%3d%221421805192%22%5d%0a%0aPS%3a+I+would+suggest+to+those+who+tried+the+CT125+but+did+not+like+them+to+try+a+pair+with+the+ferro+fluid+removed.+That+ought+to+make+a+big+difference+and+your+power+handling+will+be+no+worse+than+a+K77.%0a%5b%2fquote%5d+%0aWould+you+mind+elaborating+on+how+to+do+this%3f++I+put+CT125's+in+Cornwalls+-+seems+like+it+took+some+dynamics+away.%5b%2fquote%5dI+don't+think+using+the+CT125s+take+away+the+dynamics%2c++but+with+the+mid+driver+still+too+hot+it+will+seem+that+way.+I+pulled+the+mids+down+on+my+la+scalas+about+3db+to+make+the+balance+better.+This+also+helped+make+the+bass+sound+better.%0a%0aBruce

Edited by Marvel

disassemble the driver lift up the butterfly and remove it from the motor. Use paper towel to absorb the oil from the vc and from out of the gap. When the paper is coming out of the gap clean you have all the oil. Re assemble the driver and align the butterfly, this is not difficult to do by ear with a cd test tone. Tighten everything back up nice and snug install and check your alignment job with music in the system. Obviously if you want to put the fluid back in you will need to buy some from Bob it is very easy to install as the oil is loaded whit micro iron and is sucked right into the gap. I am not generally a fan of fluid cooled drivers but I have to say that I liked the CT125 sound with the fluid and left it in mine. without the fluid I would guess the power handling to be about the same as a K77 which is around 5 watts continuous. That's just a guess but it is probably close and that's fine for a tweeter like this. Hope that helped. Best regards Moray James.

I don't think using the CT125s take away the dynamics, but with the mid driver still too hot it will seem that way. I pulled the miss down on my la scalas about 3db to make the balance better. This also helped make the bass sound better.

Bruce

Thank you gentlemen.  Great stuff!

I've tested a dosen of different drivers during the years. C25 is very good choice but my new favorite is Faital Pro HF108. it's a killer. I had this in stock but never checked it. I tested it last week and it's a very good performer.

• Like 1

Everyone's ears are different, but with the stock K-55m, I liked the factory K77 the best with my K-horns. I tried the Crites CT125 and they sounded good, but didn't have as much output. I have also run the Beyma CP25 and it was just too hot for the K55 IMO. For the money, the K55 and K77 combo is pretty darn good.  If you want a bigtime improvement, look at a custom mid horns from Volti and use the factory drivers, then upgrade them in time.

I like the AK4, K55X, and K77F with Audyssey and a little bass boost.

• Like 1

I've tested a dosen of different drivers during the years. C25 is very good choice but my new favorite is Faital Pro HF108. it's a killer. I had this in stock but never checked it. I tested it last week and it's a very good performer.

I know you have a lot of experience with the Beyma  Arash, what qualities do you like with the Faital over the Beyma?

I never tried any other tweeter than the JBL 2404 on my Khorns.  That said, (and this is more of a question to those that might know)

Would an EV ST-350 also work?

The EV might be easier (cheaper) to purchase than the JBL??

I understand it has the same motor as the T35 but perhaps a better lens in front??

I started with k77's then tried beyma, then atp200 which I liked then fostex 90a's which I love and still use.

Canyonman, I found this statement fascinating.  I have been thinking about jumping from my T-35 to some ribbons, and would be interested in any insights from your process or conclusions that landed you running the 90a's.

After posting this, I found this string: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151425-fostex-tweeters/

Answers my questions, but any further insight is helpful.  I have read a lot about the above-hearing frequencies adding to the spaciousness.  Was that your experience as well?

Edited by tubesandhorns