Best value Video Card

Dman155

I want to spend about $100 - $150 on a video card (price from Ubid, ebay, or new), looking at GeForce2 GTS and MX, Voodoo4 4500. Any other chipsets worth looking at?

I play a lot of Quake 3 and I want to run it at 1024 x 720 or 1280 x 1024 (so it fills my 19 inch monitor) at decent quality without being choppy (even in mplayer).

Right now, I'm running a piece of crap compaq p3 550 with a V3 2000 PCI and I have my Quake settings at high quality, 800x600. These settings work well with my card, no slow down or chopping. However, when I up the res and other settings, system bogs down.

I think a geforce mx or v4 4500 would do it, but I'm not sure. Anyone have experience with these? Is the V4 for sale yet? Is getting a GTS worth the extra $$?

I've been checking pricewatch out a lot and i've found the following prices

geforce mx around 100$

geforce gts around 160$

no V4

Thanks for your help.

how about the radeon ddr.its alittle behind the gts right now but i have a feeling that will change as soon as they come out with there next drivers.you can get it for 150 after rebate from compusa,bestbuy,or fry's.i believe buy.com has them for like 165 and if your a first time buyer there you get a 30$ off coupon for anything over 150$ so that brings you down under 150 smile.gif.

the only place the gts beats the radeon is pure speed.when it comes to display qaulity(2d & 3d),video output,dvd playback,and fsaa the radeon beats it hands down. remember when the radeon first came out, it was whoppin the gts untill they came out with new drivers.just goes to show what drivers will do.the gts is at its limit now but i feel the radeon is just starting(exspecialy when dx8 comes out).its a tough choice,i know i just made the same one and i got the radeon and have been happy with it so far.also do you know anyone with a gts?my buddy has a geforce ddr and has a few compatibility issues with some games.ive never had a problem with my fury and so far the radeon is following suite.good luck smile.gif

Is fsaa an in game option or is it something you turn on in the video card software? Is it really cool? Apparantly 3dfx is the king of fsaa.

Its all academic at this point though, I just laid down $160 for a GeForce2 GTS DDR. I'm thinking that since I'm upgrading a REALLY old card (V3 2000) the difference will blow me away regardless of which card/chipset I picked.

BTW, have you checked out the G2 Ultra? Looks pretty intense.

you made a great choice im sure you'll be happy.and yes it should smoke your v3.the only thing the vd might have an edge on is glide games.but i doubt it. smile.gif

as far as fsaa i haven't really messed with it yet but it's controlled by your video card software.

err on second thought i may not be correct.you see a vd2 is a pass thru vid card were as you hook monitor to vd2 card then you have a jumper cable that connects from it to your primary card.in your case you would have to get some kind of swith box.got to sharkexetreme.com or 3dfxgamers.com and ask that ? at there message boards.