Need help, Google causing major problems

wvu80

Sorry to bother you guys with this, but I don't where else to get some help.

Starting last week, every time I click on a website (like avs.com) the internet wants to go through Google.com to get there.  The error message displayed is "waiting for google.com" then it times out with a standard message "website not available."

On routine sites the computer freezes on Google.com then finally times out and allows me onto the site, but it takes a minute per screen, and before (like last week) it would be less than 1 second.

Google searches time out completely, and when I tried to go to Google.com to ask this question, it times out.  Bing, Yahoo and other search engines are less than 1 second with searches. 

I have:

Windows 7, everything is updated

AVG Anti-virus free, latest version.  I ran a whole computer scan, zero virus detected

Firefox 35.0, latest version (IE 11 also bombs out)

I already flushed the temp files and cache, and deleted all cookies.  Nothing helped.

Could others please try google.com and see if it is working?

Edited by wvu80

I'm re-running whole computer scan with AVG now, but no virus has been found in previous scans. (Edit: No threats found)

I used to run Ad-Aware.  I'll download that again and run it.  I wonder why just Google.com?

Thanks for the quick replies. -Dave

Edited by wvu80

I had to re-install Google Chrome one time because of some kind of clash with IE 11. Google has a few anomalies like not pulling down the credit card menus, stuff like that so I blitz it out and us IE 11 on one computer and Google on the other. There is really no difference between the two IMHO.

JJK

Tools/ Internet options/ Advanced    then click on reset.  This should get it back to being stable.  If it doesnt help then restore advanced settings.

Im doubting its malware if it just happens with Google.

I'm using Firefox, but IE 11 is my backup.  Both have problems with the Goggle.com "choke."

In Firefox, I tried going to Tools/Options/Advanced, but no Reset was available. Edit:  I found the "Reset" in IE, and used it, but Google is still a no-go.  My IE defaults to the Google search page, but it won't even load.  MSN.com loads instantly)

+++

I'm running Ad-Aware right now full scan (takes about 2.5 hours).  If that doesn't work, I'll work my through the other suggestions above.

I haven't added any programs lately, and this problem started about a week ago.  Any thoughts/opinions about me using a Windows 7 Restore Point from a couple of weeks ago?

Edited by wvu80

Tools/ Internet options/ Advanced    then click on reset.  This should get it back to being stable.  If it doesnt help then restore advanced settings.

I'm using Firefox, but IE 11 is my backup.  Both have problems with the Goggle.com "choke."

In Firefox, I tried going to Tools/Options/Advanced, but no Reset was available.

+++

I'm running Ad-Aware right now full scan (takes about 2.5 hours).  If that doesn't work, I'll work my through the other suggestions above.

I haven't added any programs lately, and this problem started about a week ago.  Any thoughts/opinions about me using a Windows 7 Restore Point from a couple of weeks ago?

If it just a Google issue, then I wouldn't give it much thought. It may be something as simple as updating your Java or something like that. Sometimes Malware can jack with your browser settings, so I would still boot up IE and reset everything even though Im doubting Malware. 

Edited by Max2

Since both are having problems that probably means its not a browser problem. Maybe consider the link above. At least see if there are multiple "hosts" files.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

If it just a Google issue, then I wouldn't give it much thought. It may be something as simple as updating your Java or something like that. Sometimes Malware can jack with your browser settings, so I would still boot up IE and reset everything even though Im doubting Malware. 

I know what you mean, and I would dump Google in a heartbeat if that were the only site.  The problem is when I go to OTHER sites, somehow (I'm guessing) the request gets sent to Goggle/through Goggle, and THAT is what slows down my browser. 

Instead of the URL I want simply popping up instantly, I get a message that my site is "connecting to goggle.com" and THAT is where the delay comes from.  I use avs.com as an example, because I go there often.  It did NOT used to do that, but now it takes me two minutes to connect there, and when I click on a thread, it is another 1-2 minutes before the page is displayed.

Edited by wvu80

http://www.ehow.com/how_6618222_fix-google-time-out-virus.html

I stand corrected!   Great find MLO. Hopefully this will fix it.

It didn't.  This fix was for Internet Explorer, but I still followed the directions before I posted here asking for help.  In fact, after I failed to resolve the problem using the above link, that is when I posted here asking for help.

My Ad-Aware still has 1.5 hours to run, so we'll see what happens next. -Dave

There is a malware with a pup.optional prefix in it. It attacked my computer doing the same.  The only way to get rid of it is manaully doing it yourself, or having a company do it. It is new malware that most programs can't detect. I have CC Cleaner,malware antibytes, and windows antivirus. 2 of the 3 don't catch it ,but malware does. It will alert you, but the way this malware works is by hiding in other programs within your computer. Google is one of the main programs it hides in. So it may not come up in Firefox, or Windows, and will come up with google search or chrome. 

Did you do any "updates" recently? If so, it may have gotten in that way. That's how it works. It then gets inot other files and makes the computer run extremely slow over time. It acts like a chameleon in a sense and changes spots within files in the computer. 

There is another free antivirus called Avast, which works excellent. It will go through everything, even start up and pull out things

Try using CC cleaner and see if any new programs have been installed. 

OK, I ran Ad-Aware and if found 15 additional threats.  To be clear, it looked like AVG and Ad-Aware were calling each other threats, but I just took out whatever they said.  It didn't help, my problem is exactly the same, and I can't even call up goggle.com, it times out.

On to CC Cleaner, running now.  Edit:  Fail.  All CC cleaner did was take out some temp files and dump the cache.

Moving to malware antibytes

Edited by wvu80