Nismo

Hi everyone, I joined the forum & wanted to create my 1st thread & say hello. Like most, I'm a HT Enthusiast & I've happily owned Klipsch for over 15 years now. What brought me here was Atmos. I ran across the forum in January & I followed the info Chad was posting from CES. I've been waiting (hoping) for an Atmos announcement from Klipsch & I'm happy to see they'll soon be offering both floor standing & add-on modules. 

Last September I upgraded to Denon's new 7.2 Channel, AVR-X4100W with Dolby Atmos, so naturally I've been anxiously waiting for Klipsch add-on modules to pair with my RF-7's/ RC-7 & RS-7's.  Still early for Atmos, but one could argue that in-ceiling/overhead speakers would provide the best results acoustically, however the in-ceiling approach is not the best route for me (I have solid, finished, wood ceilings). At the same time I've read where some (Industry Professionals) have suggested that upward firing speakers work just as well (if not better) than dedicated in-ceiling speakers. Like I said it's still "early" in the world of Atmos. Not to mention, software (disc-authoring) will play an equally important role as hardware, but that's an completely separate issue moving forward. 

Right now upward-firing add-on modules is the approach I'm taking, unfortunately the available options are pretty limited (weak) right now. Both Onkyo & Def-Tech have some initial offerings, but they are rather anemic with single 3" paper cones & neither are of interest. KEF has a interesting showing with their R50's (5.25" woofer & 1" tweeter) (7" x 7" x 10").... but a pair of modules are pricey at $1200.

Prior to the Klipsch CES announcement, I grabbed a pair of Atlantic Technology 44-DA upward firing add-on modules. They offer similar specs to the KEF with 5.25" woofer & 1" tweeter (& only slightly smaller footprint at 5.5" 8.3" 9.5") but are more affordable at $440 a pair. I currently have them positioned as front heights, on top of my RF-7's (L/R), completing my current 5.2.2 set up

The past month I've been playing with Transformers: Age of Extinction & The Expendables 3 (both ATMOS authored titles) & I can assure that the addition of L/R height channels help to fill in & add to the overall experience. The physical size of the 44-DA's seem rather small on top of my RF-7's, but despite their size, they still perform really well. Transformers: Age of Extinction really comes to life with the ATMOS soundtrack, lots of opportunity for for demo-worthy moments. Set up was via Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & I've even done some "A/B" comparisons with the smaller 44-DA on the "right-height", and using  my massive RS-7 on the "left-height". Also did the same "A/B" comparison with the 44-DA & my RB-35... and in both comparisons the 44-DA's still held up fairly well (but naturally with a less impact & dynamic range). My system will really benefit by having a set of Klipsch add-on modules, so in the future I'll move the smaller 44-DA's to the (L/R S) height position, on top of my RS-7's (L/R S). Then when released, use a pair of timber matched Klipsch add-on Atmos modules for my L/R front heights (on top of my RF-7's). That end result will will provide a nice 5.2.4 set up... and a big smile!

Really looking forward to the full specs, release date & pricing with the Klipsch add-on modules (an 8" woofer would be great). Plus, we have upcoming ATMOS titles:  John Wick, Exodus & a Diamond Luxe Gravity re-issue all coming soon! Here's some pics of the rather small 44-DA's, along with comparison pics with my RS-7's. 

Good to be here, thanks for looking! 

(edit... added pics here on the thread)

B0HWB9k.jpg

fUkapCj.jpg

oyADbvJ.jpg

zIBEalC.jpg

7LNHkqS.jpg

VUjz83M.jpg

pKnkiup.jpg

cYD6b3z.jpg

MzleAzV.jpg

T2xCLLJ.jpg

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been almost 3 months now... curious if anyone has heard of updates since CES. Any word on release dates for the Klipsch Atmos speakers or the separate add-on modules? Even a ballpark timeline would be great (2nd-Quarter 3rd-Quarter??) Looking forward to the specs as well, 6" woofers??... 8"? Can't wait to add 4 of the upward firing modules from Klipsch.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

ibizaflame, no idea who that is

Good reply. Pray you never find out. lol

ibizaflame, no idea who that is

"Game of Thrones" authori who's been promising to complete the next book in the series for quite a while now (and still hasn't).

Too late, I hit google already.

I see what you are implying here, certainly not a trait I am trying to acquire.

• Like 2

Ever thought about finding some kpt-100's or something similar to put on top of them? Maybe a kpt-8001? Got a good shape to them and they would surely keep up better than anything they are gonna release anytime soon

Thanks! The KPT-8001 & the KPT-100 are good reccomendations. When reproducing Atmos in the home environment, I personally prefer an upward firing speaker vs. a traditional ceilling or wall mounted “height” speaker. So... it would be easy to take the traditional wall mount KTP-8001 & repurpose it as an upward firing Atmos speaker. Not 100% if the angle is correct, but the cabinet design of the 8001 certainly mimics an upward firing Atmos module, plus the 8” woofer would seem to be a good timbre match with my exiting set-up. They do have a rather large foot print (almost 19” x 16’) so it will have consideralble overahang sitting (horizontal) on top of my RF-7’s. The KTP-100 is longer (21” x 11”), but the width is less awkward than the 8001. I’ll keep my eye open & see if either resurface in the secondary market.
  • Like 1

We are moving as fast as we can. I don't know when official details will be released. Rest assured they are coming, and soon!

That's great news, thanks for the update! I have the Denon X4100W with Atmos decoding & over the past 6 months I’ve played with 4 different pairs of speakers in various placements & configurations. And I can say that I really appreciate & prefer the upward firing Atmos option. With that approach... the speaker shoots the audio upwards (at an angle), hits the ceiling, reflects, disperses & falls down to the listener. Visually think of it as a wave that rises, curls & cascades over you when at the beach.

By comparison, conventional ceiling or wall mount speakers are great & have been around for a quite some tiime, but they all deliver audio from a “fixed” position. Ceiling speakers in the home environment (with 8-10-12 foot ceilings) don't have the space to disperse. Just for example in John Wick (a great Atmos Blu-ray) .... when playing the standard Dolby TrueHD track; it has the barrage of bullets, helicopters & rainfall "coming at you" at ear level (very directional, either from the front or rear)... very much an "Equator" only sound hemisphere. It just hits you from "1" sound stage. With the ATMOS track.... the barrage of bullets, helicopters & rainfall hits you from the "whole, northern" sound hemisphere above you... not just the linear "ear level equator". In the real world, when a gun is fired in a room... the concussion of sound, expands hits the ceiling & fills the room. The sound doesn't come from a fixed position (i.e., front left corner). That dome of sound is really effective & noticeably different with the Atmos track.

That example demonstrates the benefit an Atmos track provides & I'm only using 2 front modules. I can only imagine how great & immersive the sound will be when I add an additional pair of upward firing modules to the back as well. Good stuff! I can't wait for future updates. 

post-60708-0-04360000-1429337091_thumb.j

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

We are moving as fast as we can. I don't know when official details will be released. Rest assured they are coming, and soon!

That's great news, thanks for the update! I have the Denon X4100W with Atmos decoding & over the past 6 months I’ve played with 4 different pairs of speakers in various placements & configurations. And I can say that I really appreciate & prefer the upward firing Atmos option. With that approach... the speaker shoots the audio upwards (at an angle), hits the ceiling, reflects, disperses & falls down to the listener. Visually think of it as a wave that rises, curls & cascades over you when at the beach.

By comparison, conventional ceiling or wall mount speakers are great & have been around for a quite some tiime, but they all deliver audio from a “fixed” position. Ceiling speakers in the home environment (with 8-10-12 foot ceilings) don't have the space to disperse. Just for example in John Wick (a great Atmos Blu-ray) .... when playing the standard Dolby TrueHD track; it has the barrage of bullets, helicopters & rainfall "coming at you" at ear level (very directional, either from the front or rear)... very much an "Equator" only sound hemisphere. It just hits you from "1" sound stage. With the ATMOS track.... the barrage of bullets, helicopters & rainfall hits you from the "whole, northern" sound hemisphere above you... not just the linear "ear level equator". In the real world, when a gun is fired in a room... the concussion of sound, expands hits the ceiling & fills the room. The sound doesn't come from a fixed position (i.e., front left corner). That dome of sound is really effective & noticeably different with the Atmos track.

That example demonstrates the benefit an Atmos track provides & I'm only using 2 front modules. I can only imagine how great & immersive the sound will be when I add an additional pair of upward firing modules to the back as well. Good stuff! I can't wait for future updates.

i have 4 kpt 100's I might just be ready to part with soon