Question About HDMI Issues with Onkyo & Upgrade for Wakejunkie

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm working on trying to hook Wakejunkie up with a better receiver and tonight, I will be buying a package deal that includes an Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver and a TX-NR1008 receiver.

I've never had a receiver with Audessey and although it's not Multi-XT32, I'm curious how it sounds compared to my Harman Kardon 3600 receiver.

If the 1008 is an upgrade to my HK, I'll sell the HK and give Shaun the 808. 

Based on this comparison of the Onkyo TX-NR808 vs Denon AVR791.

Based on Specs, the Onkyo would be an upgrade for Shaun.

More Power: 135 x 7 vs 90 x 7

Heavier: 40lbs vs 28.5

More Channels: 7.2 vs 7.1

Trigger:  1 vs None

More HDMI Inputs: 8 vs 4

Networking:  Yes vs No

More Preouts:  7.2 vs 2

More Sub Outs:  2 vs 1

Higher MSRP: $1100 vs $499

So finally to my question.........how is the HDMI on the 808 and 1008?  I think it's a no brainer that spec wise, this is a much higher end model than his Denon.  My ONLY concern with the Onkyo is the HDMI Board.  I know some Onkyo's had trouble with HDMI boards and some models seemed more prone to having that issue than others.  I'm just not certain if the 808 and 1008 series were part of those that did.

Not an AVR but my Onkyo has been flawless so far (knock on wood) and hdmi switching works very well.

If you can get the serial numbers, you can enter them on this link. This might tell you if they are eligible for the free fix should they encounter any issues.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

• Like 1

Onkyo just did an extended warranty HDMI board repair to one of my receivers. They sent me a shipping box and pre-paid Fedex delivery both ways. Few weeks for shipping and repair, so have a back-up ready if sending out your main receiver.   http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

Funny thing was that my Onkyo worked perfectly for years until the day I got a new Denon receiver for Christmas. I think I will re-install the Onkyo in that system because the sound is comparable, but I prefer some of the features of the Onkyo.

Another thing to consider is that Onkyo power amps generate a lot of heat, so they need more air space around them.

I think you would like audessey, but who knows. The best part to me is the "loudness" button I always used in the day is on audessey as dynamic eq, keeping bass right at low or high volumes.The Harman is a music machine, for HT I would probably pick the Onkyo . The reliability is a much discussed issue, no problems for me but others........New its not a big issue, used it would have to be a great deal.

• Moderators

Thanks for the links Tasdom.  I'll check the serial numbers tonight

Another thing to consider is that Onkyo power amps generate a lot of heat, so they need more air space around them.

My cabinet is totally open inside so there is plenty of ventilation.  Currently, there is about 6' of open space above the unit.  That should be adequate.  :P

The Harman is a music machine, for HT I would probably pick the Onkyo .

That was the reason I moved from the Yamaha RX-V1800 to the Emotiva UMC-1 (for better 2ch with the RF-83's) and then from the UMC-1 to the HK AVR3600.  I've always been pleased with HT, the 2ch just lacked until I went back with HK.  Now that I have the RF-7ii in the living room for 2ch, I no longer need the HT setup to sound wonderful for 2ch as well as for HT.  So now, I'm wondering how the Onkyo sounds compared to the HK for HT.  Sadly, I can't even really find out yet since my Sherbourn Amp is down 4 channels.  :(

preferred the power of my TX-NR818 over my HK 3700 but I liked the HK sound over my Onkyo.

I likely will not be using the internal amp of the Onkyo so power isn't important for my setup.

This will have to be a decision you make yourself, it's a tough call IMO.

Well, there is no loss.  If I don't like it, I'll sell it.  If I like the Onkyo better, the HK will go up for sale.

• Moderators
The reliability is a much discussed issue, no problems for me but others

Yeah, it's probably a gamble with the Onkyo, which is one reason why I offered a bit less than the seller was asking.

New its not a big issue, used it would have to be a great deal.

Let's just say it's a typical Youthman find.  :D

• Moderators
Onkyo just did an extended warranty HDMI board repair to one of my receivers. They sent me a shipping box and pre-paid Fedex delivery both ways. Few weeks for shipping and repair, so have a back-up ready if sending out your main receiver.

I have the Onkyo TX-NR1008 that can pull duty or my current HK AVR3600 while the 5008 is being repaired.

Not an AVR but my Onkyo has been flawless so far (knock on wood) and hdmi switching works very well.

If you can get the serial numbers, you can enter them on this link. This might tell you if they are eligible for the free fix should they encounter any issues.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

When you enter the s/n's when the question comes up as to which channels don't work, tell it ALL channels out.  That will qualify the entry they are looking for, and then it will tell you if your unit is eligible for the extended warranty.

If you are eligible, then that unit has the bad HDMI board.

And even if you do, all is not lost.  If your unit does have the bad board, they don't all go out.  And if they do, there are videos on Youtube which tell you how to fix the problem for cheap.

• Moderators
When you enter the s/n's when the question comes up as to which channels don't work, tell it ALL channels out.

Yes, that's what I selected because there is no sound when the unit is acting funky. 

That will qualify the entry they are looking for, and then it will tell you if your unit is eligible for the extended warranty.

Yes, it said it was and that they would be sending me packing and a return shipping label.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I wish you well on a fast turn around! Glad you have backups until then.

Thanks, Fedex shows that it is on it's way to Chattanooga, TN as of yesterday evening but says it is scheduled for delivery today.  If it hasn't gotten to TN yet, not sure how that's going to happen unless they just didn't scan it when they went through the hub.

My 56 lbs package had a safe round trip, but it probably wouldn't hurt to add a little padding to your shipping box. When they had my AVR at the repair facility, I received an e-mail stating that my unit was repaired but had another problem that could be fixed for $$, or they could give me a small trade-in credit towards a new purchase. I replied no thank you, I will live with the problem, just send it back to me. A few days later, I received an e-mail stating they decided to fix the other issue for no charge, and the unit was shipping out that day.

• Like 2

My 56 lbs package had a safe round trip, but it probably wouldn't hurt to add a little padding to your shipping box. When they had my AVR at the repair facility, I received an e-mail stating that my unit was repaired but had

another problem that could be fixed for $$,

or they could give me a small trade-in credit towards a new purchase. I replied no thank you, I will live with the problem, just send it back to me. A few days later, I received an e-mail stating they decided to fix the other issue for no charge, and the unit was shipping out that day.

What the heck?  That was crappy of them to try to squeeze you like that.  You're the one who was inconvenienced by the unit going out in the first place due to shoddy parts on the part of Onkyo.  Good for you for saying no thanks, and a small "good" to them for finally doing the right thing.

I bet they've done that before to other people.  It wouldn't even surprise me if they bill the customer and then turn around and bill Onkyo for the warranty work.  :angry:

• Like 1