Question About HDMI Issues with Onkyo & Upgrade for Wakejunkie

Youthman

All these threads about HDMI failures have me well paranoid.

Yeah, a quick Google doesn't give me much confidence in Onkyo. Seems like a gamble on whether or not they will work. I had absolutely no issues with my previous Onkyo 703 but I only had it about a year before upgrading. Will keep ya posted on the progress.

AvsForum has an ongoing thread about this subject but many are quick to point out that the HDMI port is the most vulnerable component of most HT receivers. It seems to be pervasive regardless of brand.

• Moderators
AvsForum has an ongoing thread about this subject but many are quick to point out that the HDMI port is the most vulnerable component of most HT receivers. It seems to be pervasive regardless of brand.

Maybe Onkyo has more units sold therefore seems to have more units effected. 

As a side note, I have had the Onkyo unplugged for most of the day.  Plugged it in and it is still completely locked up.  Hope to find out more tomorrow when I call.

• Moderators

Finally got in touch with Onkyo.  Support said they replaced the HDMI Board in my unit but that has nothing to do with the symptoms I'm having.  I have to take it to Jersey Jim's (Authorized Repair Center) to have them look at it.  Will call them today since they have my Sherbourn.  They are 50 min away so I don't want to make more trips than I have to.

• Moderators
It would be nice to get a report on what service was done from the place you already sent it to.

The support rep said they replaced the HDMI Board.

You'd think they would have tested it for a longer period of time but as fast as it came back, I doubt they put it through it's paces.

I'm thinking the same thing.  I wish they would have and then if it's something beyond what is covered, let me know how much it would cost to repair and give me the option of having it fixed.

Unfortunately I can attest to many service departments taking a very strict, "treat-em-and-street-em" outlook on their work. if a problem doesn't jump out and bite you while looking at a device you generally don't go out of your way looking for trouble. they may have also had a different way of testing the integrity of the HDMI board without having to install it. It doesn't sound like god service to me but I empathize with the service tech.

• Moderators

Just received a call from repair center.  Estimated repair for the Onkyo TX-NR5008 is $165.00.  Should be about 2hrs labor.  Maybe I'll hear back from them this afternoon and I can pick it up in time for the weekend.  :D

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

• Moderators
For the amp, correct? Did they say what was wrong?

No, that was for the Onkyo TX-NR5008.  They had trouble finding the schematic for the amp.  I asked about it when they called but he didn't know and said the other tech that works on them would call when he had an estimate.

• Like 1

For the amp, correct? Did they say what was wrong?

No, that was for the Onkyo TX-NR5008.  They had trouble finding the schematic for the amp.  I asked about it when they called but he didn't know and said the other tech that works on them would call when he had an estimate.

Is that the one they just fixed and doesn't work properly?

• Moderators

Yes, when I purchased this lot of equipment, I bought everything asis, untested.  The Onkyo TX-NR5008 turned on but was locked up.  I sent it into Onkyo under their HDMI Board Replacement Program and they replaced the HDMI board but apparently, that was not what was causing the unit to lock up.  Since locking up isn't covered under that program, I had to take it to an Authorized Onkyo Repair Center.

• Like 1

Yes, when I purchased this lot of equipment, I bought everything asis, untested.  The Onkyo TX-NR5008 turned on but was locked up.  I sent it into Onkyo under their HDMI Board Replacement Program and they replaced the HDMI board but apparently, that was not what was causing the unit to lock up.  Since locking up isn't covered under that program, I had to take it to an Authorized Onkyo Repair Center.

Too bad it was locking up before they worked on it, or they would have had to fix it free.

Youth,

Sorry to hear about this. Just recently returned mine for the dreaded HDMI board repair. It went out while I was overseas. Couldn't really walk through all the troubleshooting with the wife over the phone, to come to that conclusion. So she just used TV speakers till I came home.

My unit (TX-NR3008) was a refurbished unit when I purchased it in...2010 I think. So 4-5 years on it. Customer service was a quick turn around (like your experience) and almost no cost to me but time. (And fuel cause the nearest fedex shipping center was and hour away)

Anyways, throwing my experience into this thread. Still love it for the features and the GUI. It's just very simple to program and navigate. The main reason I stepped up to the 3008 was because of XT32 and it's ability to calibrate 2 subs. As you know, 2 subs is just night and day different so I wanted software that would make that as seemless as possible.

Would I go Onkyo again?? It's not out of the realm of possibility. Price point vs features is hard to beat. And I only use it as a pre/pro.

• Moderators

Thanks Beechnut. I figured there might be a good chance when I purchased the lot that one or more of the Onkyos might have HDMI issues and that the batteries in the Monster HTUPS might be bad so I took that into consideration when I made my Youthman offer and was willing to buy it all ASIS, untested.

It paid off because I sold everything that I did not need and in the end, I am able to keep the 5008 and a few cables, give Wakejunkie the 1008 and even ended up in the black enough to pay for the repair of the 5008.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Received a call saying the Onkyo TX-NR5008 has been repaired.  I have to call them later today when the tech comes in to check on the status of the Sherbourn.  They have had it a few weeks and still haven't given me an estimate on what it will take to fix it.  I would rather make one trip to pick them both up as they are 50 min drive.