Question About HDMI Issues with Onkyo & Upgrade for Wakejunkie

Youthman

• Moderators

That was crazy fast! I wonder what was wrong with it. I might call Onkyo to see if they can tell me. Would be nice to know if they put a new board in it.

Scrappy, I haven't heard back about the Sherbourn yet...it's still out for repair. Will be curious to test with and without the amp.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Spoke too soon.....my daughter came in this morning and said "Dad, you left everything on in the theater room."  I'm like "What!"  Then she said, "Everything but the projector."  Ok, that I can live with.  LOL.  So I go in to find the Onkyo 8008 on and playing the TV input and sound is there but the unit it TOTALLY locked up.  Buttons on the remote are non-responsive as well as everything on the unit itself (Power, Volume, Inputs etc). 

When I unplug the unit and plug it back in, the unit turns on, says "Volume" for a few seconds, then it switches to "TV" input, then few seconds it says "Volume Norm" and then after a few seconds it says "Volume" again and you hear TV Digital Box playing through the Onkyo.

Anyone ever had this happen to theirs? 

• Like 1

Sounds like the repair facility didn't apply the right fix.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1339186-official-onkyo-rc270-nr708-nr808-nr1008-nr5008-integra-80-2-failure-thread.html

The symptoms of these failures include the following
*Unit does not respond to remote commands.
*Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.
*Unit cycles randomly and rapidly through input modes OR listening modes.
*Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off

It's totally locked up so a factory reset isn't possible. No buttons are responsive

Sounds like it is bricked.  Like when you do a firmware update and it fails mid update, result bricked.

From your photos it looks like they just replaced the DTS chip not the HDMI board.

Bill 

• Like 1

• Moderators
From your photos it looks like they just replaced the DTS chip not the HDMI board.

I believe so Bill.  The turnaround was super quick.  I'm guessing the swapped out the chip, turned it on, "Yep there's sound" and shipped it back.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Sounds bad, I would unplug, push reset buttons hold and plug in at the same time. There is not much you can do if its unresponsive, good luck.

I unplugged it for 25 minutes.  Soon as I plug it in, the unit powers on and runs through the cycle and locks up. 

I already swapped the 5008 with the 1008.  Just decided to go plug in the 5008 and the unit is responding properly (for now).  This problem is intermittent though so I expect it to come back.  I had done a factory reset before shipping it off for repair so I know that didn't fix it.  The note on the unit when it came back from repair stated that they had done a Factory Reset as well (and we know how well that worked out).  LOL

• Like 1