Question About HDMI Issues with Onkyo & Upgrade for Wakejunkie

Youthman

• Moderators
I would rather make one trip to pick them both up as they are 50 min drive.

I caved and went and picked up the Onkyo today.  :lol:  Got it hooked up and calibrated and it is working perfectly.  ;)   Will run some demos tomorrow.

• Like 1

I would rather make one trip to pick them both up as they are 50 min drive.

I caved and went and picked up the Onkyo today.  :lol:  Got it hooked up and calibrated and it is working perfectly.  ;)   Will run some demos tomorrow.

Nice but you do know that they will call tomorrow morning that the amp is ready, right? :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Could be but I doubt it.  I called yesterday and he said he is waiting on parts.  I think he wants to try the parts before giving me an estimate.  Figured it would be after I leave for Alabama to visit Wakejunkie before they call so I might as well spend a few days with the Onkyo.

• Like 1

• Moderators
So what was wrong with the Onk? (2nd repair)

When I bought it, it would lock up.  I sent it off to Onkyo under their Recall Program for the HDMI Board.  They paid shipping both ways and the repair cost to replace the HDMI Board but apparently, that wasn't what was causing the lockup.  :P

I then took it to an Authorized Onkyo Repair Center and they replaced at least one cable that went bad (they gave me the bad cable).  Repair cost was $176.55.  Unit is working great so far.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

They had to replace a bad cable???  I know its possible a cable could go bad, but it seems highly unlikely.  It would be more common to fix a loose connection by simply unplugging the cable and then plugging it back in.

That cable looks a lot like the old hard disk drive 15-pin IDE cable.  The red stripe is Pin 1.  I find that incredible that first of all, a cable would go bad, and second, they had one in stock!  I wonder if that is a new cable or something they robbed off another receiver.  FYI I ran a computer business for about 10 years and never had a cable like that go bad.

What seems the most strange to me is that you had the locking up problem to begin with, then the first place replaced the HDMI board and didn't notice the unit locking up.  It had to be running for them to properly diagnose the bad HDMI board.  Then it was apparently working fine after the new board, they return it to you, and it locks up again immediately.  That whole scenario just doesn't sound right.

I know there's no sense pursuing it, your unit has been fixed, it runs fine.  I suppose you just have to accept the screwy circumstance, because what other choice do you have?

+++

Edit:  I just saw your other post directly upstream, where the invoice shows they replaced an IDE cable.  If we'd have known that was the problem, I would have sent you one for free!  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• Moderators

#1 says IDE cable and #2 looks like it says plugs. I have no idea what that means.

I'm with you on the ribbon cable. I have always built my computers and I as well have never had an IDE cable go bad.

Who knows. You can only hope that a repair center that has been in business for that long would be honest.

• Like 1

They had to replace a bad cable???  I know its possible a cable could go bad, but it seems highly unlikely.  It would be more common to fix a loose connection by simply unplugging the cable and then plugging it back in.

That cable looks a lot like the old hard disk drive 15-pin IDE cable.  The red stripe is Pin 1.  I find that incredible that first of all, a cable would go bad, and second, they had one in stock!  I wonder if that is a new cable or something they robbed off another receiver.  FYI I ran a computer business for about 10 years and never had a cable like that go bad.

What seems the most strange to me is that you had the locking up problem to begin with, then the first place replaced the HDMI board and didn't notice the unit locking up.  It had to be running for them to properly diagnose the bad HDMI board.  Then it was apparently working fine after the new board, they return it to you, and it locks up again immediately.  That whole scenario just doesn't sound right.

I know there's no sense pursuing it, your unit has been fixed, it runs fine.  I suppose you just have to accept the screwy circumstance, because what other choice do you have?

+++

Edit:  I just saw your other post directly upstream, where the invoice shows they replaced an IDE cable.  If we'd have known that was the problem, I would have sent you one for free!  B)

I wonder if the cable was really bad or if it was not installed properly after the HDMI board was replaced...

• Like 1

I wonder if the cable was really bad or if it was not installed properly after the HDMI board was replaced...

That would be a much better guess than a cable going bad.  With that small space in the enclosure it is easy for a big hand to lift that cable off its seat on one side, and that will cause intermittent problems.  All it requires is to be re-seated snugly and it will work fine.

• Like 1

That would be a much better guess than a cable going bad.  With that small space in the enclosure it is easy for a big hand to lift that cable off its seat on one side, and that will cause intermittent problems.  All it requires is to be re-seated snugly and it will work fine.

It is possible for a cable to go bad. It happens from time to time with the laptops where I work; usually in the cable that connects the LCD panel to the main system board. it's certainly rare; but it does happen.

We will never know. Just glad it's fixed.

The IDE cable was (is) a common failure with Onkyo units. There's many posters on AVS about issues and replacements.

So far so good with mine but I did a lot of reading after someone made me aware there could be an issue down the road.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had to look on page 3 to bring this back..... Well a week ago my Integra 40.1 came up with the no sound issue. Went onto Integra web site filled out contact us form..... Received email response the next day. Received a box with shipping label 3 days later. Dropped box and 40.1 off at FedEx that night. Had 40.1 back in 2 days.....Don't know what they did.... don't care. Works as good as new. Whole thing took about a week. Great. Service Integra.... Thanks to Manny

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1