Cornwall II Upgrades

TJIann

Ok. I have CWIIs and am going to do a Crites upgrade by replacing the crossover (this is the one on back of the input cover) and replace the tweeter diaphram with Bobs titanium one. Who here has CIIs and has done these mods? How's the improvement in your opinion? Other alternatives (for CIIs, not other versiins) that you have found are better? Thanks.

Ok. I have CWIIs and am going to do a Crites upgrade by replacing the crossover (this is the one on back of the input cover) and replace the tweeter diaphram with Bobs titanium one. Who here has CIIs and has done these mods? How's the improvement in your opinion? Other alternatives (for CIIs, not other versiins) that you have found are better? Thanks.

- I did a setup that upgraded the caps and the titanium diaphragms - I found the titanium too bright at first but it did settle in after a month or so -

will you part with the crossovers or just do the upgrade of the caps - I am interested in the CWII stock crossovers if you decide to sell these -

The upgrades of the mids and tweeter diaphragms is best as well as these are old after 30 years of usage - old caps - old diaphragms - woofers are the only items that last - even new non-titanium diaphragms will sound better than the current - titanium will have a brighter tone - if you listen to classical music , you will notice improvement with the acoustics -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 1

That cabinet has no internal damping and resonates at high volumes.  1" thick acoustic foam on the three non opposing sides will make a nice difference.  The crossover network in the CII looks like it was built by playschool.  I would spend some money on a different crossover design rather than replacing the original with marginally better parts.  Not a fan at all of the titanium diaphrams they are screechy and sizzly sounding as compared to the original phenolic diaphrams.  YMMV

• Like 3

That cabinet has no internal damping and resonates at high volumes.  1" thick acoustic foam on the three non opposing sides will make a nice difference.  The crossover network in the CII looks like it was built by playschool.  I would spend some money on a different crossover design rather than replacing the original with marginally better parts.  Not a fan at all of the titanium diaphrams they are screechy and sizzly sounding as compared to the original phenolic diaphrams.  YMMV

from what you are saying  - The CW II  cabinets dont have the acoustic foam that came in the CW1 from the factory -

hence ,  the MDF resonates as a consequence of this missing in the cabinet   - do you know if that applies as well to the CW3 -

I am surprised that the tests in the anechoic chamber at Klipsch in Hope Ark didnt show the issue of resonance -

• Like 2

- I did a setup that upgraded the caps and the titanium diaphragms - I found the titanium too bright at first but it did settle in after a month or so -

will you part with the crossovers or just do the upgrade of the caps - I am interested in the CWII stock crossovers if you decide to sell these -

I usually keep the original parts when I do mods to any equipment, but I'll let you know.  Thanks for the feedback!

i have CWII's and updated/upgraded the x overs, with a different vendor, it was a GREAT upgrade. I have also replaced the original tweeters with Bobs Ti diaphragms, I never found them to be harsh in my room but they did clean up the soundstage and are more articulate imo. 

In addition I replaced the the stock woofers with Eminence Kappa 15c's from parts express. This really cleaned up the mid lows and the bass response is way tighter. 

I've considered replacing the mid diaphragms but Bob didn't seem to strongly advocate it so at this point I haven't. 

Good luck

Edited by Lemon string
  • Like 2

i have CWII's and updated/upgraded the x overs, with a different vendor, it was a GREAT upgrade. I have also replaced the original tweeters with Bobs Ti diaphragms, I never found them to be harsh in my room but they did clean up the soundstage and are more articulate imo. 

In addition I replaced the the stock woofers with Eminence Kappa c's from parts express. This really cleaned up the mid lows and the bass response is way tighter. 

I've considered replacing the mid diaphragms but Bob didn't seem to strongly advocate it so at this point I haven't. 

Good luck

-

-I would have thought that the KAPPA C was more like a k43 - less bass -as these need 4x more power -the k33 is a 100 watts woofer versus the Kappa C 's 400 plus - please can you give us your feedback -tx

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 1

In addition I replaced the the stock woofers with Eminence Kappa c's from parts express. This really cleaned up the mid lows and the bass response is way tighter. 

Good luck

-

-I would have thought that the KAPPA C was more like a k43 - less bass -as these need 4x more power -the k33 is a 100 watts woofer versus the Kappa C 's 400 plus - please can you give us your feedback -tx

Check out this link:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149442-lascala-sonic-detail-improvement-for-only-22098/?hl=%2Beminence+%2Bkappa

its the thread that peaked my interest in pursuing this mod, theres a ton of technical info shared, as in a ton.

Good luck

-

Check out this link:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149442-lascala-sonic-detail-improvement-for-only-22098/?hl=%2Beminence+%2Bkappa

its the thread that peaked my interest in pursuing this mod, theres a ton of technical info shared, as in a to

Claude is the man that backs up his reports - I agree

• 1 month later...

Just got done installing new Crites crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms in my CIIs tonight. Wow, what a difference! Stunning. What a difference in crossover quality of build too! Bob and his son do great work.

• Like 1