Surface area comparisons?

DizRotus

Awesome thread !! Some of it might as well be in Mandarin though. There is a great deal of laws and calculations involved in audio that I am not even remotely familiar with. I love to learn though. 

Bryant

There is indeed a lot to learn. I am just scratching the surface of it, but every minute is enjoyable. 

What are you most interested in with audio?

I am a musician. I am a multi-instrumentalist, though a guitarist at heart. I have always had an ear for music. Boston and AC/DC absolutely floored me when I was a boy. I thought it was the guitar tone, so a few years later I started playing guitar. Several years after that, though I loved the guitar just as much as I ever had, I realized I loved production just as much. What interests me most in music is making what you have in your head sound like you want it to in your ears. That doesn't 100% relate to an audio forum, BUT, in some ways it does. I may be a musician, but I am no less a fan. Having the "producer's: ear" that I feel like I have, makes me want to reshape the music I am a fan of in a way that sounds the way I think it should. Some productions are a lost cause mind you, but if I can have an audio system that allows me complete control over everything I hear makes me happy. I am an anti-audiophile in some ways. I rarely want anything the way it is "supposed to sound like" but rather I want it the way I think it should sound. It is not that I am some control freak. I am pretty laid back, actually. It is more that I get a euphoria from different things like guitar tracks hidden deep in the mix or the ambiance of multi-channel audio. A perfect guitar tone, bass guitar tone and a bass drum that you can feel thump your chest really make me feel awesome. 

I also simply love to learn new things. I am no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but for a redneck metal-head, I think I am a reasonably intelligent person. My lone other "big" hobby besides music is simply expanding my knowledge on whatever interests me at the time. Therefore, learning more about the physics of music is interesting, because I love the other aspects of music. 

Bryant

• Like 1

When I crunch the numbers, I can get the same F3 with multiple smaller drivers versus a single larger driver with equal effective radiating surface area (Sd). System efficiency ends up the same too.

The differences will come down to cost and linearity, but at non-max SPL they're going to sound very similar.

Acoustic summation is definitely an issue with multiple drivers, but then that's also the best approach to reducing the magnitude of room modes. Most issues I've seen with "throw" have been polar response related, which is not an issue in small room acoustics in the pressure region (subwoofer frequencies).

Awesome thread !! Some of it might as well be in Mandarin though. There is a great deal of laws and calculations involved in audio that I am not even remotely familiar with. I love to learn though. 

Bryant

There is indeed a lot to learn. I am just scratching the surface of it, but every minute is enjoyable. 

I am a musician. I am a multi-instrumentalist, though a guitarist at heart. I have always had an ear for music. Boston and AC/DC absolutely floored me when I was a boy. I thought it was the guitar tone, so a few years later I started playing guitar. Several years after that, though I loved the guitar just as much as I ever had, I realized I loved production just as much. What interests me most in music is making what you have in your head sound like you want it to in your ears. That doesn't 100% relate to an audio forum, BUT, in some ways it does. I may be a musician, but I am no less a fan. Having the "producer's: ear" that I feel like I have, makes me want to reshape the music I am a fan of in a way that sounds the way I think it should. Some productions are a lost cause mind you, but if I can have an audio system that allows me complete control over everything I hear makes me happy. I am an anti-audiophile in some ways. I rarely want anything the way it is "supposed to sound like" but rather I want it the way I think it should sound. It is not that I am some control freak. I am pretty laid back, actually. It is more that I get a euphoria from different things like guitar tracks hidden deep in the mix or the ambiance of multi-channel audio. A perfect guitar tone, bass guitar tone and a bass drum that you can feel thump your chest really make me feel awesome. 

I also simply love to learn new things. I am no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but for a redneck metal-head, I think I am a reasonably intelligent person. My lone other "big" hobby besides music is simply expanding my knowledge on whatever interests me at the time. Therefore, learning more about the physics of music is interesting, because I love the other aspects of music. 

Bryant

That's awesome Bryant. I haven't stopped learning since I got here. 

There are lots of musicians in the place as you might already have found out. There is a thread that's not too old which is about remixing music in your own library to work with your equipment and to your own subjective tastes. The thread fizzled a bit, but it is very interesting even though it may be a bit hard to follow.  Here is a link to that thread:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155096-the-missing-octaves/

MG-

Thanks for the link to the fascinating thread started by Chris A. It raises so many questions, but offers so much hope.

My hope is that high resolution digital recordings avoid the need to decompress recordings mixed on Auratone "monitors."

When I play the MP3 of MJ's Billie Jean using Pono it sounds very good, but the high resolution Pono version sounds dramatically better. My suspicion and hope is that it's for some of the reasons referred to in Chris A's thread.

For me, it's much easier and desirable to start with a high resolution file from Linn, HDTracks, Pono etc., than to perform the alchemy of turning CD lead into gold.

That said, I do want to develop the ability to rip vinyl to FLAC to be played through Pono. I can't break the addiction to used record shops, thrift stores, garage sales and the like. Finding an excellent vinyl recording of an excellent performance, usually Jazz, often for less than a buck, is priceless. Usually, the performance is unavailable as a CD or MP3 and will never be available as a high resolution digital file.

Edited by DizRotus

Bryant

Bryant

That's awesome Bryant. I haven't stopped learning since I got here. 

There are lots of musicians in the place as you might already have found out. There is a thread that's not too old which is about remixing music in your own library to work with your equipment and to your own subjective tastes. The thread fizzled a bit, but it is very interesting even though it may be a bit hard to follow.  Here is a link to that thread:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155096-the-missing-octaves/

That is pretty awesome and I actually believe it 100% I am a big fan of an oldschool metal band called Accept. Many may remember the "Balls to the Wall" song. My favorite release was "Metal Heart." It was produced by Dieter Dirks, who was basically the "Mutt" Lange of Germany, yet when they released it on CD, the bass all but disappeared. Peter Baltes (the bass player) has (yes they are actually still around and still sound fantastic) one of the best tones in the business and I had to EQ the dickens out of my system to get some of it back...... and it still wasn't "right." I would love to do that to some of my favorite older stuff. Although metal is my true love, I also love rock from the late 60's -70's and some American Folk as well.

Bryant

A perfect guitar tone, bass guitar tone and a bass drum that you can feel thump your chest really make me feel awesome.

Add in a good woman and maybe some bourbon and you've got all that makes life worth living.

I asked my wife if she knew any good women, but she couldn't come up with any. Ha ha ha, J/k. I have a fantastic wife. She doesn't complain about wall tp wall music stuff since I don't complain about wall to wall toys and gardening stuff. As far as bourbon, I love a snort of Maker's Mark now and then, but I live in Alabama, not Kentucky. The State food is Natural Light beer. Of course, I prefer a good golden or pale ale, but I've yet to ever turn down a free Natty. 

Bryant

• Like 1