.22 LR

T2K

I'm thinking about buying a .22 caliber tacticool rifle for the fun of it. Cheap to shoot while at the range. I haven't bought any firearms in many years and don't keep up with the latest and greatest thing down the pike. 

Anyone here have any suggestions and or experience with what is available and what is reliable/durable? I've been reading about the HK 416 D145RS and am also considering the Colt M4 OPS, both in .22 LR.

I know this isn't directly audio related but they do make a pleasing sound. Any suggestions or comments?

Keith

post-3284-0-06380000-1422215366_thumb.jp

I see these (various brands) come up on a local sale site pretty often, people try to charge more than the msrp. If you already own an AR style weapon they sell a conversion kit (bolt and mag) that allows you to run it as a 22LR. The kit is $200 and get pretty good reviews. Budget AR's can be had starting around $500 in some areas........

I think I would opt for an AR and conversion kit over a 22lr specific AR

• Like 2

It depends on your budget. For something cheap the smith feels pretty nice. However even though it feels right, it is a proprietary lower so you cant put a normal upper on it. I dont like that. You can get .22 uppers that use normal lowers so you get used to the trigger and stock. JP makes a real nice one that feels like their competition upper.

• Like 1

I think I would opt for an AR and conversion kit over a 22lr specific AR

There are always compromises whatever route you take. We (family and friends) shoot the 22LR versions of these guns 10 to 1 over the .223 variant. Just too much fun. Just don't want a conversion for the guns we shoot the most!

• Like 1

I'm SURE I'd like one of those Colts,  I'm not sure I wouldn't just go for 10-22 again.  You can or at least could get accessories at a reasonable price, Including a speed loader for all 10-22 mags, carbon fiber bull barrels,  synthetic stock.  Trigger assemblies, 

Mines nothing fancy but done a little at a time.  

Again that Colt looks Nice.  Especially the Upper conversion.  Find the ammo that shoots best in the gun you decide on.  I've shot with a guy who could nail sage rats at over a hundred yards with a stock 10-22.  

Ammo is out of sight if you can even find it.  I imagine it will go down as peoples home supplies get filled. 

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

I saw the ad for the bucket-o-bullets, never crossed my mind that .22 ammo would be hard to find. I haven't bought .22 ammo in years. I have a 500 round brick that I bought years ago for a Remington rifle (below) that I've had for 40 years.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll keep reading and looking.

Keith

post-3284-0-55620000-1422223024_thumb.jp