.22 LR

T2K

T2k -   Just another option - Major cool factor - https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/8-volquartsen-rimfire-rifles,15-complete-firearms

Lars

I've found that a "Match" chamber can be sensitive to some ammo.  Match chambers do work well with match cartridges.  If you go with a match chamber be sure to check that desired ammo works well.

Or keep the original barrel for the ammo that does not function in the match chamber.  Some barrel manufacturers will recommend a certain cartridge for different barrels.  10-22 is simple to change barrels and stocks.  

T2k -   Just another option - Major cool factor - https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/8-volquartsen-rimfire-rifles,15-complete-firearms

Lars

I've found that a "Match" chamber can be sensitive to some ammo.  Match chambers do work well with match cartridges.  If you go with a match chamber be sure to check that desired ammo works well.

Or keep the original barrel for the ammo that does not function in the match chamber.  Some barrel manufacturers will recommend a certain cartridge for different barrels.  10-22 is simple to change barrels and stocks.  

Unless you go with a screw in barrel option for better accuracy!

Roger

• Like 3

For a screw-in barrel, wouldn't that be a little dangerous by changing the head spacing to a possible case rupture?

What I've done before is take the ammo I intend on using and tell my gunsmith to match the barrel to it instead of the other way around. Really makes a difference with Eley ammo.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 3

I saw the ad for the bucket-o-bullets, never crossed my mind that .22 ammo would be hard to find. I haven't bought .22 ammo in years. I have a 500 round brick that I bought years ago for a Remington rifle (below) that I've had for 40 years.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll keep reading and looking.

Keith

Ah, the venerable Remington 552BDL.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Keith,

As stated prior, there is a National shortage on .22 LR ammo!

If you are descided on one of the AR look alike rifles, go for it, they do look cool.

As for me, if you want a semi auto in .22 LR, the Ruger 10-22 is a cheaper base gun, weighs a lot less, which to me is more important in fun, and target acquisition, and can be made ALOT more accurate than the rifles you are looking at.

I own 4 customized 10-22 rifles, if you are serious about putting money down on as accurate a semi auto 10-22 as you can buy, look into coolguysguns.com , Volquartsten used to be the only name in the game when it came to customizing a 10-22 Ruger, as such, their prices reflect a once held strangle hold on the market. Tony Kidd at coolguysguns.com not only sells better products, he also sells them for less. I have used many volquartsen  pieces and the only thing they still have the best in my opinion is their bolt. Volquarsten offers a 2 pound trigger, I have owned two of these and sold them. I can get a better trigger job done to a factory metal trigger for $85 on eBay. Also, the new rugers have plastic triggers now. Tony Kidd sells a 2 stage trigger with a 6 ounce pull. Tony also sells complete match .22 LZR with guaranteed 0.5 MOA groups at 50 yards, that is going to be 5 shots with the furthest bullet from the furthest bullet out of 5 shots only 0.25 inches away center to center.

If you get serious about accurizing a 10-22 Ruger, feel free to call me a (419)-231-5494

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 2

For a screw-in barrel, wouldn't that be a little dangerous by changing the head spacing to a possible case rupture?

What I've done before is take the ammo I intend on using and tell my gunsmith to match the barrel to it instead of the other way around. Really makes a difference with Ely ammo.

No problems like this at all.

Head spacing on a Ruger 10-22 is in the bolt face and also needs to be changed for match accuracy.

The only problems I have encountered is that non match ammo will not fully chamber, the bolt will not fully close unless forced, and that has more to do with loose tolerances in ammo cases.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

OK... Here we go!  LOL..... I know many will curse me and many will say so what.  But the simple fact of the matter is that the "Black Gun" market has done more than any other single factor in driving the shortage of .22 ammunition.  It all began when guys started changeing out 5.56 uppers to .22 in order to shoot cheaper.  I have been hunting all my life, I  buy maybe a thousand rounds a year for plinking amd hunting small game with a .22  Black gun guys spit that out over a weekend.

This is the main reason for the shortage and ridiculos price,  A Remington Bucket O Bullets which someone posted earlier has an MSRP of $69.00 in todays market, which is still over inflated INMHO.  Granted we will never see the days of 500 rounds of .22 for $6.00 but still way to overpriced.

Best regards,

John 

John Chi-Town- I would even expand on that by saying that our government has been buying up most of the regular center-fire ammo to keep it out of the public's hands. With that scarcity the price will naturally skyrockets so shooters are turning towards 22-rimfire, which is usually inexpensive, making it scarce and rise in price too.

For this reason I quit shooting IPSC (45ACP major) years ago.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

I'm a firearm enthusiast, but "tactical guns" simply don't interest me. I grew up shooting a Ruger 77/22 http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/models.html

We used it to keep the local possum and raccoon population at bay for years.

Its a great gun to teach youngsters with and is more accurate than most semi-autos.

Edited by FuzzyDog
  • Like 2

Good luck finding .22 magnum!  :blink:

I also have a bolt action clip-fed rifle that shoots the .22 magnum, a Mossberg 640KA, model, "The Chuckster."  It's a real tack driver, but it's magnum only, no .22 LR.

(this is not my photo)

413242_01_mossberg_640ka_chuckster_640.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Believe it or not, I can find .22 Magnum easier than .22LR, longs or shorts.  I have a Savage B Mag chambered in .17WSM and it is also readily available in my area. 

Best regards,

John

John,

That 10-22 Magnum is worth good money right now, they are bringing a premium and a lot of them are being converted to .17 WSM

Roger

• Like 1

Twisted Crank;

Yes, they have been selling on Gunbroker for about $850.00 + in Very fine condition to $1,000+ new in box.  Paid $400.00 for NIB in 2001.  One of the few guns in my collection that have appreciated aside from some family heirlooms. 

Very fun little carbine to shoot.

Best regards,

John

As for me, if you want a semi auto in .22 LR, the Ruger 10-22 is a cheaper base gun, weighs a lot less

If you don't count the magazines, a Smith M&P 22 and a Ruger 10-22 with a wood stock weighs virtually the same, both are about 5 pounds, worst case the Smith is a half pound more but I think that's counting the mag.  Even if they didn't, I've shot both, the M&P feels like a toy, its stupid light.  I don't see why weighing less would be a big plus.  It feels even lighter than it is due to the pistol grip.  

That being said, a Ruger 10-22 is a must-have rifle.  The tactical styled ones are nice though as you can get a feel for an AR.  Most people who grew up shooting traditional hunting rifles have a hard time making the switch to AR's.  The 22's let you get somewhat familiar with the platform for much cheaper.  If all you were doing was shooting rabbits in the back yard, then yeah get a Ruger.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

@@Mighty Favog,

John Chi-Town- I would even expand on that by saying that our government has been buying up most of the regular center-fire ammo to keep it out of the public's hands. With that scarcity the price will naturally skyrockets so shooters are turning towards 22-rimfire, which is usually inexpensive, making it scarce and rise in price too.

It's mainly scarce because there is no money in it, especially when there are other scares going on.  There is much more profit in manufacturing centerfire handgun and .223 ammo, so that's what manufacturers pay attention to.  .22 gets neglected, there is little payoff in doubling their capacity to crank the stuff out.  Right about the time the last scare happened the last time with Newtown, the rise of these tactical'ish .22's rose dramatically at the same time.  Manufacturers were caught sitting on their hands, but never upped capacity for the previously mentioned reason, if they're going to make more of something they're going to make the stuff that makes them money.  Supply was stagnant while both demand from shooters and demand from resellers skyrocketed.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters