.22 LR

T2K

As for me, if you want a semi auto in .22 LR, the Ruger 10-22 is a cheaper base gun, weighs a lot less

If you don't count the magazines, a Smith M&P 22 and a Ruger 10-22 with a wood stock weighs virtually the same, both are about 5 pounds, worst case the Smith is a half pound more but I think that's counting the mag.  Even if they didn't, I've shot both, the M&P feels like a toy, its stupid light.  I don't see why weighing less would be a big plus.  It feels even lighter than it is due to the pistol grip.  

That being said, a Ruger 10-22 is a must-have rifle.  The tactical styled ones are nice though as you can get a feel for an AR.  Most people who grew up shooting traditional hunting rifles have a hard time making the switch to AR's.  The 22's let you get somewhat familiar with the platform for much cheaper.  If all you were doing was shooting rabbits in the back yard, then yeah get a Ruger.  

You can make a Ruger 10-22 way lighter with stock options and the aluminum skinned or carbon bull retention barrels. Regardless, I don't get / see your statement in regards to switching from a traditional hunting platform to an AR platform. I started with traditional hunting rifles and own a couple of ARs, a couple of AKs, and a Dragonov.  The only difference that affected me is I don't like the ARs Ghost Ring sight system, which is easily overcome with good optics. I also must disagree with the idea of that that the Ruger is only for varmint shooting as a fully customized Ruger will flat outshoot the AR type .22s.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

i shoot througha burris crossfire red dot sighted in at 50 yards and its extremely accurate. and i haven't put a round though it since I've owned it that it didn't like. all though i haven't shot a huge variety. cci, federal bulk, remington bulk, blazer bulk. seems to eat em all the same. really fun gun to shoot. got the bull barrel on mine with 5 mags in mint shape about 6 months old from a guy for 400$ 

You are getting some serious decent gun feedback from the forum.

This line worth looking at for a serious 22 rifle.

RugerSSteel single action 6 w/ long barrel.western interchangeable cylinder showed me their worth in a handgun. Shots well in either cci brand load in minimag 22 lrhp.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/models.html

This line worth looking at for a serious 22 rifle

Extra mags for the ruger can be had for 30 and less so.

The magnum is the contender to the long rifle. Can be accurate. Sounds like fun.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Good luck finding .22 magnum! :blink: I also have a bolt action clip-fed rifle that shoots the .22 magnum, a Mossberg 640KA, model, "The Chuckster." It's a real tack driver, but it's magnum only, no .22 LR. (this is not my photo)

Nice gun. Like a magnum too. Nice scope.

• Like 1

For a screw-in barrel, wouldn't that be a little dangerous by changing the head spacing to a possible case rupture?

What I've done before is take the ammo I intend on using and tell my gunsmith to match the barrel to it instead of the other way around. Really makes a difference with Ely ammo.

No problems like this at all.

Head spacing on a Ruger 10-22 is in the bolt face and also needs to be changed for match accuracy.

The only problems I have encountered is that non match ammo will not fully chamber, the bolt will not fully close unless forced, and that has more to do with loose tolerances in ammo cases.

Roger

My son and I each bought a few thousand rounds of American Eagle for Rat hunting in central Oregon.  Dang things keep fouling,  Paul had a stock 10-22 and I had carbon fiber bull barrell.  A friend also had a 10-22 and it liked the ammo just fine.  He got a few thousand rounds for free. 

Fortunately I always take more ammo then I can use.  So we switched brands and carried on with our hunt.

Keith,

Thought I would give you a little more information before you make a purchase.

Ruger has the best warranty in the gun business PERIOD!

If you buy a Ruger, it is warrantied F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!! on EVERYTHING!!!

Two personal stories:

1) I hand load and I own a Ruger .44 Magnum Redhawk with a trigger job, a 4 power Leupold handgun scope, Hogue custom wood grips, and a laser.

I shoot 21.3 Grains of 2400 Powder behind a 265 grain lead semi wad cutter with gas check. These guys here will confirm for you that load is off the loading charts hot and dangerously so! It would probably blow a Smith & Wesson up in your hands! Anyhow, I keep 1,400 rounds of that load on hand as I used to shoot 800 rounds a week and have shot thousands upon thousands of this load. The gun got more accurate the hotter I loaded it. Shooting this load is so hot that it backs the primers out of the primer pockets and they flatten out on the back of the cartridge. After shooting many, many loads, the trigger guard on the gun became loose and bitched up the brushed finish where the trigger guard meets the body. Also, there is a dowel that the firing pin comes through that all these primers backing out swaged the dowel to the point that it locked the firing pin forwards. These things were totally my fault for loading it this hot. I sent the gun back to Ruger and they replaced the dowel and trigger guard. Rebrushed and finished the entire pistol, x-rayed and test fired it, and sent it back to me FREE OF CHARGE!!!

2) I own a 1971 Ruger M-77 in 7mm Remington Magnum that belonged to a very special dead friend that taught me how to hand load. This was AL's primary hunting gun and bore the scars of many a Deer hunt in Wyoming and out west. Al had dropped the rifle off a mountain side and cracked the stock and repaired it himself. I sent the rifle back to Ruger with a note that I wanted to pay to have them reblue the gun and put a new stock on it. Ruger re-blues the rifle, put a new stock on it and also put a new mag plate on the bottom. The only thing Ruger did that I did not like was take out my aftermarket trigger and replace it with a factory adjustable trigger. (Ruger does not like aftermarket parts) Ruger then sent the rifle back to me FREE OF CHARGE!!!

I have many brands of guns, but when you buy a Ruger, you buy it from them for life! I was not even the original purchaser of the rifle, they were made aware, and they still warrantied it!

Roger

• Like 1

I don't get / see your statement in regards to switching from a traditional hunting platform to an AR platform. I started with traditional hunting rifles and own a couple of ARs, a couple of AKs, and a Dragonov.  The only difference that affected me is I don't like the ARs Ghost Ring sight system, which is easily overcome with good optics.

The iron sights on AR's are more like peep sights. Ghost rings are pretty large and typically only found on shotguns. It's not the same thing.

The biggest difference is that traditional hunting rifles rise to your line of sight while AR's don't, plus usually the weight on a hunting rifle is distributed more towards the stock with the barrel being pretty light, and an AR is the opposite.

An AR is designed for the recoil to go straight back. To run it correctly you kind of have to hunker over and absorb the recoil if you expect fast follow up shots. Plus there's the whole weight thing, which throws people off when shooting off-hand and especially when reloading the right way where your weak hand does all the work and your strong hand is holding the entire gun up. It is quite a big difference if you are only used to traditional bolt actions and whatnot, tons of people have struggled and quickly come to the conclusion that AR's aren't for them, often leading them to want a Mini-14 or something.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have many brands of guns, but when you buy a Ruger, you buy it from them for life!

I have two of them that are over 30 years old, they work great. They're not my favorite though, I forgot the brand, but I have a tube fed one that has a little heavier and has a longer barrel. Super easy loading, nice trigger, and very accurate with factory ammo. I put a shotgun scope on it. It's a straight up squirrel assassin. Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Messin around with shooting since the 60s.

Marlins/Rugers, throw-a-ways in my years, my buds and i wore them out.

Just gave my 44 Redhawk to a Farmer bud for xmas, we do that sort of thing on the farms.

Seeing Retirement on the horizon a few years back, figured id better dial in the gun safe. gun prices have tripled i the last 20 years. 

.22s are all Henrys so is my .17, latest/last purchase 7.62 SoCom, that should take care of future Zombie incursions.

You all want Ammo, the place to go is http://ammoseek.com/

• Like 1

Ruger has the best warranty in the gun business PERIOD!

That's interesting Roger.  I bought a Ruger 9mm a few years ago (brand new, Gander Mountain) and I could have sworn there was no warranty on it.  The only reason I bought it was because I loved my Ruger 357 mag revolver.

• Like 1

I bought a Ruger 9mm a few years ago (brand new, Gander Mountain) and I could have sworn there was no warranty on it.

Technically there isn't one that is implied. If it breaks, send it back and unofficially it will get fixed. But, you don't exactly get a card saying fill this out and you have a full lifetime transferable warranty.

I bought a Ruger 9mm a few years ago (brand new, Gander Mountain) and I could have sworn there was no warranty on it.

Technically there isn't one that is implied. If it breaks, send it back and unofficially it will get fixed. But, you don't exactly get a card saying fill this out and you have a full lifetime transferable warranty.

Good to know, thanks.  It's been flawless so far.

• Like 1

Just gave my 44 Redhawk to a Farmer bud for xmas, we do that sort of thing on the farms.

Seeing Retirement on the horizon a few years back, figured id better dial in the gun safe. gun prices have tripled i the last 20 years. 

.22s are all Henrys so is my .17, latest/last purchase 7.62 SoCom, that should take care of future Zombie incursions.

A vintage Marlin Golden 39A  a throw-away???  LOL... Longest production run rifle in the world, pre Annie Oakley.  Among the most inherintly accurate as well.  Now Henry, that is a throw away rifle!  I am talking original JM Marlin lever actions, pre-safety.

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town

A vintage Marlin Golden 39A  a throw-away???  LOL... Longest production run rifle in the world, pre Annie Oakley.  Among the most inherintly accurate as well.  Now Henry, that is a throw away rifle!  I am talking original JM Marlin lever actions, pre-safety.

Best regards,

John

I'll go a step further in educating him in what a throw away gun is!

I'll bet you a Benjamin straight even odds that I can shoot a tighter group at 100 yards off of a bench with a 10-22 I put together myself against the best shooting henry .22 you own minermark, and I will give you a second chance to win your money back with your Henry .22 against my Redhawk .44 at 150 yards on sand bags. What do ya say??? Are you going to Hope in April??

Roger

I have a .25 Benjamin Marauder air rifle with very good glass that I think could be more accurate than a 22LR at 100 yds. I'm not saying I'm capable personally. I just think it is a more accurate platform. There are people that can cover 3 shots at 100yds with a dime shooting this gun. Are you in that league Twisted?

There will always be single shot platforms like the Anchutz that are inherently more accurate, but that is why I offered the rifle rest and sand bags, to take the shooter out of the equation and see how good that Henry actually holds up.

I do own several 7 mms and have a 7 mm Rem Mag that I have shot a group of 5, outside to ouside measurenment minus .284 for bullet diameter of 5/16ths of an inch at 100 yards off of a rest. My own personal ability is not as good as some, but I have center heart shot a whitetail at 310 yards and lung shot a whitetail at 589 yards with a single shot, so I guess I'm not totally feeble either.

As for Glass, I have a 6.5 to 20 power 50mm Leupold on one of my 10-22s, does that qualify for good enough glass?

Roger