.22 LR

T2K

Now center fire is a different league. No 22lr rifle exists (AFAIK) that can compete with a well executed center fire rifle. I did some bench shooting with a bull barreled M77 Ruger in .243 that was crazy straight and I reloaded all ammo. Later I let a guy talk me out of it.

22LR vs air rifle is a real contest though. Especially true if your shooting any 10/22.  :) 

Benjamin....hmmmmmm.......Does remind me that I do have a Sterling Arms HR-83 air rifle in .177. Sterling was originally made in England but as all the manufacturing equipment was being shipped to the states, a lot of it got damaged beyond repair. So Sterling got together with Benjamin/Sheridan and they made them under the Sterling name.

I got a good deal on it because I knew the regional sales rep. Didn't shoot too bad but there was a bit of recoil. Biggest thing I liked about it was that the (Burris 6X PA) scope was rigidly mounted to the receiver unlike a lot of break-actions (which I can't stand). The cocking lever is underneath the barrel and the whole thing weighs as much as an M1 Garand.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/4433628

The easiest one I've ever shot was an RWS 52 with a 2 oz. trigger.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Messin around with shooting since the 60s.

Marlins/Rugers, throw-a-ways in my years, my buds and i wore them out.

Just gave my 44 Redhawk to a Farmer bud for xmas, we do that sort of thing on the farms.

Seeing Retirement on the horizon a few years back, figured id better dial in the gun safe. gun prices have tripled i the last 20 years. 

.22s are all Henrys so is my .17, latest/last purchase 7.62 SoCom, that should take care of future Zombie incursions.

You all want Ammo, the place to go is http://ammoseek.com/

A vintage Marlin Golden 39A  a throw-away???  LOL... Longest production run rifle in the world, pre Annie Oakley.  Among the most inherintly accurate as well.  Now Henry, that is a throw away rifle!  I am talking original JM Marlin lever actions, pre-safety.

Best regards,

John

I'll go a step further in educating him in what a throw away gun is!

I'll bet you a Benjamin straight even odds that I can shoot a tighter group at 100 yards off of a bench with a 10-22 I put together myself against the best shooting henry .22 you own minermark, and I will give you a second chance to win your money back with your Henry .22 against my Redhawk .44 at 150 yards on sand bags. What do ya say??? Are you going to Hope in April??

Roger

"Messin around with shooting since the 60s.

Marlins/Rugers, throw-a-ways in my years, my buds and i wore them out"

If you read what i stated, the 60s 70s is when the PotMetal garbage Marlin/Rugers came out.

Marlins/Rugers with the pot the metal reciver are good for 6K to 8K rounds tops, and that is not much when your a kid.

Marlins have been made in the Philippines since the 70s and Ruger, altough american made has now gone with a Plastic  polymer trigger housing :o

I stick with my original post, just a simple comment on MY EXPERIENCE.

I do not/did not attack another forum poster with an, i can outshoot you any day of the week crap.

Messin around with shooting since the 60s.

Marlins/Rugers, throw-a-ways in my years, my buds and i wore them out.

Just gave my 44 Redhawk to a Farmer bud for xmas, we do that sort of thing on the farms.

Seeing Retirement on the horizon a few years back, figured id better dial in the gun safe. gun prices have tripled i the last 20 years. 

.22s are all Henrys so is my .17, latest/last purchase 7.62 SoCom, that should take care of future Zombie incursions.

You all want Ammo, the place to go is http://ammoseek.com/

A vintage Marlin Golden 39A  a throw-away???  LOL... Longest production run rifle in the world, pre Annie Oakley.  Among the most inherintly accurate as well.  Now Henry, that is a throw away rifle!  I am talking original JM Marlin lever actions, pre-safety.

Best regards,

John

I'll go a step further in educating him in what a throw away gun is!

I'll bet you a Benjamin straight even odds that I can shoot a tighter group at 100 yards off of a bench with a 10-22 I put together myself against the best shooting henry .22 you own minermark, and I will give you a second chance to win your money back with your Henry .22 against my Redhawk .44 at 150 yards on sand bags. What do ya say??? Are you going to Hope in April??

Roger

If you read what i stated, the 60s 70s is when the PotMetal garbage Marlin/Rugers came out.

Marlins/Rugers with the pot the metal reciver are good for 6K to 8K rounds tops, and that is not much when your a kid.

Marlins have been made in the Philippines since the 70s and Ruger, altough american made has now gone with a Plastic  polymer trigger housing :o

I do not/did not attack another forum poster with an, i can outshoot you any day of the week crap.

I did not post any "I can outshoot you any day of the week crap", I posted that my Rugers will outshoot your Henry any day of the week. That is why I made the challenge off of a bench and sand bags. I will bring both to hope if you like?

A Ruger 10-22 will shoot a hell of a lot more rounds than 6-8,00 and it is not the receiver that wears out! Personaly, I have never seen a Ruger 10-22 wear out, only seen young idiots sell them off cheap as broken when they were too fouled to cycle any longer. A good cleaning and as good as new!

I am very disappointed that the present 10-22 has a plastic trigger group, but at 7-8 pounds stock pull, this has always been a must change out.

I own a Steyr if you want to name drop, Henry is not it... I am just making a point that you are misguided in calling the Ruger a throw away, that is all.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Roger, I will join in by saying that (most of) my guns are more accurate than I am.....if that's a group to be joined. :)

Exactly the reason I spend so much time on hand loads, if I miss something, I don't want to be pissed at the gun and making something more accurate makes one try all the harder to improve one own abilities, at least that is my philosophy!

Roger

Minermark, no offense was taken at my end.  This is why there is more than chocolate and vanilla.  I do however disagree with your summary of Marlin.  The Golden 39A, up until Marlin was aquired by Remington were always and still are built here in the US, for close to if not more than a 100 years.  All parts are still forged metal, not that cheap stamped metal.  The Marlin catalog has a lot of firearms, maybe a few have been made in the Philipines but never the Golden 39, 39A.

Always was manufactured in New Haven CT.  Sounds like your baseing your opinion on a later model Post 1970, Marlin has .22 that sell for a couple hundred new and then the Golden which has an MSRP well North of $700.00  At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Best regards,

John

pix725870159.jpg

Edited by John Chi-town

We used to get the Marlin 39A's (by the case) with a one power scope. Everybody that used it was deadly accurate with targets on the fly, yes up in the air a flying. No squeezing the trigger, just blasting and never missing under 50 yards. That scope made them awesome. Funny but I still have one but can't find the scope anywhere. Had a very large field of view and as soon as the target was in the scope you fired. No aiming, just fire.

JJK

• Like 2

My dad has been big into .17 HMR's recently. I'm not sure what the draw is when .22 mags are available. It isn't like he is tack driving at long distances.

The .17 HMR is a neat little round and out to 150 yards they are extremely accurate, but the bullet is too light for accuracy at long distance. Main thing is better bullet selection and they will do a tidy job on up to killing Coyotes with proper placement and at a reasonable distance for the round.

Roger

• Like 1

Now center fire is a different league. No 22lr rifle exists (AFAIK) that can compete with a well executed center fire rifle. I did some bench shooting with a bull barreled M77 Ruger in .243 that was crazy straight and I reloaded all ammo. Later I let a guy talk me out of it.

22LR vs air rifle is a real contest though. Especially true if your shooting any 10/22.  :)

Gave my daughter A Light wt. Ruger light barrel .243 when she was in 3rd grade   :o.  Very good for varmint shooting.  Hand loaded cause I'm Cheap.  And that I could load it for far improved accuracy.  Don't remember what size group but I was impressed and it could reach way out  there busting Ground Squirrels (Sage Rats) or Deer.  The rifle FAR exceeded my expectations.

I had a Benjamin airgun, and I have a 10-22 with 3-9x scope and I don't know if I would shoot for wagers one against the other.

Plenty Happy with both, but they are different Tools  with a different approach to Different Jobs. 

Kinda Like a 45 record's vs 33;'s or maybe even a CD or even lossless on a thumb drive.

Roger, I will join in by saying that (most of) my guns are more accurate than I am.....if that's a group to be joined. :)

Exactly the reason I spend so much time on hand loads, if I miss something, I don't want to be pissed at the gun and making something more accurate makes one try all the harder to improve one own abilities, at least that is my philosophy!

Roger

Never found a factory that was worth the money too me for hunting our punching paper.  I can build a more accurate load for less coin then buying factory.  

My dad has been big into .17 HMR's recently. I'm not sure what the draw is when .22 mags are available. It isn't like he is tack driving at long distances.

The farmers I've talked to were all very accepting to letting us shoot the .17HMR's ..

The bullets fragment so easily that they are not worried about ricochets.  Of course like any shooting you got watch down range.

The Accuracy is good well out past  100 yards.  The make a scope called the Sweet .17 that is designed to match the cartridge.  Never shot one myself.

Edited by Taz

Gave my daughter A Light wt. Ruger light barrel .243 when she was in 3rd grade   :o.  Very good for varmint shooting.  Hand loaded cause I'm Cheap.  And that I could load it for far improved accuracy.  Don't remember what size group but I was impressed and it could reach way out  there busting Ground Squirrels (Sage Rats) or Deer.  The rifle FAR exceeded my expectations.

I had a Benjamin airgun, and I have a 10-22 with 3-9x scope and I don't know if I would shoot for wagers one against the other.

Plenty Happy with both, but they are different Tools  with a different approach to Different Jobs. 

Kinda Like a 45 record's vs 33;'s or maybe even a CD or even lossless on a thumb drive.

Roger

Never found a factory that was worth the money too me for hunting our punching paper.  I can build a more accurate load for less coin then buying factory.  

The farmers I've talked to were all very accepting to letting us shoot the .17HMR's ..

The bullets fragment so easily that they are not worried about ricochets.  Of course like any shooting you got watch down rang

The Accuracy is good well out past  100 yards.  The make a scope called the Sweet .17 that is designed to match the cartridge.  Never shot one myself.

Hey Taz!

They are good for 150 plus, but the bullet is so small that it scrubs off speed fast D/T lack of weight and the projectile is too short, low cross sectional density and  giving it a poor ballistic coefficient. They also become very susceptible to wind drift as they start slowing down.

Rog

I have a Henry Big Boy 44 mag. I call it my "Cowboy Gun". I can tear up a paper plate from 50 yards free-standing and firing as fast as I can cock. Love that gun!

Mustang guy,

Lots of practice and lots of rounds I'll wager!

Somewhere around here I have an old Daisy, my first ever, has a dent in the sheet metal barrel, the front sight is broken off many decades ago, and the ramp for the rear blade sight is missing, but I used to point and shoot that thing when I was a kid to the point I could hit a fly on the side of the barn from about 15 feet and drop sparrows from 40 or 50 feet all day long!

You have a feeling for that gun and just know it!

Neither it, nor my Daisy are going to set the world on fire with 100 yard groupings though I will also bet, unless you have worked up a good load for it?

Have you ever bench shot it at 150 yards to see what kind of group it will make?

Roger

Hey Taz!

They are good for 150 plus, but the bullet is so small that it scrubs off speed fast D/T lack of weight and the projectile is too short, low cross sectional density and  giving it a poor ballistic coefficient. They also become very susceptible to wind drift as they start slowing down.

Rog

Yea I know.  Didn't want to seem to be bragging.  .17 is good the way you state.  That makes it "Farmer" friendly as we kill their rats and bunnies and no overshoot to worry much.  However always the need to keep 'What if' in mind and down range clear.  Some of the places we used to shoot were close to a kindergarten and grade school, besides houses and cows. 

Edited by Taz

I got a 17HMR / bull barrel tack driver. Great to 150 yards. Outside that, it's the flakiest thing you ever saw. 300 yards your talkin 12" group. I think it's those ultra light ballistics. The wind catches them or something, and you don't know what you'll hit.

And That's where a Good .243 comes in Handy.

• Like 2