J-River "skipping"

Jim

Hey Jim,

That's why I asked about this in the other thread. When I had previous versions it would do the same thing. I was hoping these issues were history but now I'm second guessing getting the newest version.

It gets pretty frustrating when you're trying to listen to some tunes....

Yea, I know. I just tried reinstalling it again just to see what will happen. If it keeps doing this I am going to try Foobar2000.

I guess it's web based for JRiver so it will "flicker" with internet if the provider has an issue.

I just reinstalled it, and it seems so far to be OK. I was contemplating the license for the reduced rate, but am very leery now.

Has anyone else had this issue with J-River? I installed it, it keeps freezing up, and when re-installed keeps "skipping". 

Never had an issue under Windows 7.  What OS are you using and what are your latency settings?  Are  you using it for video and music or just music?

Music only, windows XP

you do know XP is a dead OS? Is it feasible for you to go to Win7? If not, let me know your configuration (soundcard, how you are outputting to your amp or receiver, etc). I'll help you make this work ;) Edited by prerich

I know it's dead, but I have pretty much everything out of the computer as I only want to use it to act as a server for my external hard drive. It's also able to use through XP as per JRiver's site, that's why I decided to use the computer.

It's a Dell Latitude D-810 that's hooked with a Musicstreamer ll DAC through USB and out to a tube amp through RCA Cables which is powering 2 speakers. I did have it all going through my Yamaha RX-A2020, but I seem to like the sound quality better directly through the amp.

I have a PC with Windows 7, but use it for work and everything else. I can upgrade the Dell to Windows 8 but I don't know if I want to as the computer is old anyway.

Right now I have 27,000 songs in the external HD, but about half were done through WMP, so they were uploaded as wma and JRiver is not "finding" them in my hard drive, but if I play through WMP, they are picked up as well as through Foobar2000.JRiver has a better sound to me than the other 2 also, so I want to make this work.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

I know it's dead, but I have pretty much everything out of the computer as I only want to use it to act as a server for my external hard drive. It's also able to use through XP as per JRiver's site, that's why I decided to use the computer.

It's a Dell Latitude D-810 that's hooked with a Musicstreamer ll DAC through USB and out to a tube amp through RCA Cables which is powering 2 speakers. I did have it all going through my Yamaha RX-A2020, but I seem to like the sound quality better directly through the amp.

I have a PC with Windows 7, but use it for work and everything else. I can upgrade the Dell to Windows 8 but I don't know if I want to as the computer is old anyway.

Right now I have 27,000 songs in the external HD, but about half were done through WMP, so they were uploaded as wma and JRiver is not "finding" them in my hard drive, but if I play through WMP, they are picked up as well as through Foobar2000.JRiver has a better sound to me than the other 2 also, so I want to make this work.

Ok let's work, first - what are your output format in JRiver set at? Also under XP, are you running ASIO4all? Edited by prerich

OK, you are losing me already, what is ASIO4ALL?

My output for JRiver right now is 2 channel stereo, but I've been playing with 2 channel (7.1) also and am using room correction to the distance my speakers are at.

OK, you are losing me already, what is ASIO4ALL?

My output for JRiver right now is 2 channel stereo, but I've been playing with 2 channel (7.1) also and am using room correction to the distance my speakers are at.

Ok, ASIO4all is a ASIO driver, I'm trying to see your setup. Are you using direct sound, ASIO, or kernel streaming? Do me a favor...go to tools, then options, then select audio. Tell me what you have in each of the setting blocks . Here's a reference point http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

This one will explain your output modes http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

XP isnt really that stable anymore. I wouldn't recommend using jriver with that OS personally. I've had no troubles with it on Windows 7. My HTPC is running a dual core AMD with 8gb of memory and (2) 2tb hard drives in RAID 1 configuration. What CPU are you running? Memory?

XP isnt really that stable anymore. I wouldn't recommend using jriver with that OS personally. I've had no troubles with it on Windows 7. My HTPC is running a dual core AMD with 8gb of memory and (2) 2tb hard drives in RAID 1 configuration. What CPU are you running? Memory?

I run JRiver with BD on lesser systems than that. However were all Windows 7 machines (Vista and above gives you the option to use WASAPI mode).  I've the perfect setup for the OP....here's a setup in XP tailored to your device!!!! 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/jud-the-prof/how-set-jriver-media-center-win-xp-pro-music-streamer-ii-usb-dac-144/

Follow this and you should be back in business without the skipping!!! 

• Like 1

Oh, fyi the minimum requirements to run JRiver are not that high...

• Intel or AMD x86 Compatible CPU with SSE2
  • 256MB RAM
  • 300MB free hard drive space for installation (plus space for digital media)
  • Sound device with a working WDM or ASIO driver
  • DirectX-capable Graphics Card (GPU)
  • Internet connection (recommended)

His laptop exceeds this - I would like to ask the OP how much memory is he running (I'm assuming he has over the 256 minimum, however if he only has 256 - part of that is used for video - and he would need a memory upgrade). 

I upgraded the memory a year or so ago, but have taken most of the things that were in it-IE pictures, other file types out of the computer and also took out programs I don't use anymore. I am basically trying not to use this for anything else but music. No movies, videos, or anything else. More of like a remote that just moves music from one spot to another, setting up playlists and uploading cd's to the external drive. What I have also been doing is once they are moved to the external drive, I delete them from the pc's my music folder.

As for windows xp not being that stable, I have AVAST as my antivirus and it works excellent. So I don't know that I need to upgrade the computer to another operating system due to this.

Edited by Jim

I upgraded the memory a year or so ago, but have taken most of the things that were in it-IE pictures, other file types out of the computer and also took out programs I don't use anymore. I am basically trying not to use this for anything else but music. No movies, videos, or anything else. More of like a remote that just moves music from one spot to another, setting up playlists and uploading cd's to the external drive. What I have also been doing is once they are moved to the external drive, I delete them from the pc's my music folder.

As for windows xp not being that stable, I have AVAST as my antivirus and it works excellent. So I don't know that I need to upgrade the computer to another operating system due to this.

Wow...you just said a mouthful right there!!!!  Do me a favor - turn Avast off and see how it runs. ;)

Take a look at this thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=139448.0

There are a ton of others like it too!!!! 

Edited by prerich

you do know XP is a dead OS?
Not exactly... Dead is a relative term. It's still supported by MS for certain uses, and once all the updates are installed, it is very stable. I would prefer Win7 or 8.

Bruce

are we sure it is jriver ??, I had a problem with WMP skipping and the issue was my pc running to many programs (latency)  I will look up the latency checker and post a link in a few, all you do is down load it and it will monitor your pc and tell you if your pc is a good candidate for streaming music as is, if you have RED on the graph that indicates something that is causing a latency problem and will cause your music player to drop out

• Like 1