Is this a counterfeit speaker?

ToHellWithUGA

I purchased a pair of RF-82 II's and RS-52 II's from Fry's on clearance recently, but haven't been able to find a center. I finally found someone on Craigslist who has an RC-62 II (supposedly), but the photo he sent of the serial number doesn't look legit to me. Is it possible that this is a counterfeit / white van speaker? Does anyone else have a speaker with a tag like this? He says he "purchased from a shop that had it on a demo and was selling it for it wasn't being used anymore".  :wacko: 

Thanks!

15wcdbq.jpg

2k1yxt.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased a pair of RF-82 II's and RS-52 II's from Fry's on clearance recently, but haven't been able to find a center. I finally found someone on Craigslist who has an RC-62 II (supposedly), but the photo he sent of the serial number doesn't look legit to me. Is it possible that this is a counterfeit / white van speaker? Does anyone else have a speaker with a tag like this? He says he "purchased from a shop that had it on a demo and was selling it for it wasn't being used anymore".  :wacko: 

Thanks!

15wcdbq.jpg

2k1yxt.jpg

the only way ro really be sure is to unscrew the bezel and remove the speakers - these should be tagged by klipsch to be original -

the only way ro really be sure is to unscrew the bezel and remove the speakers - these should be tagged by klipsch to be original -

Awesome, thanks! Any more info on what exactly this might look like? Where should I look for the tag/mark/etc.inside exactly? Would it be an official logo, stamped, written, signed, etc.? Would I be looking for a sticker on the back of the woofer, something like this?

K1089AV-2.jpg

Or, does it vary? (In my quick searching, I've also seen photos of stamps instead of stickers)

TIA!

Edited by ToHellWithUGA

You would want to see a klipsch parts codification number - once you open the speaker and read the parts numbers -model etc - then you can call klipsch parts 800tel number -the guys there will quickly know if it is a counterfit as these guys are trained and know of all the frauds out there - but imho Klipsch has done wonders in protecting their brand from copies and fakes -

your speaker has a serial number at the rear of the tag - that serial number can be verified in seconds by klipsch -

You would want to see a klipsch parts codification number - once you open the speaker and read the parts numbers -model etc - then you can call klipsch parts 800tel number -the guys there will quickly know if it is a counterfit as these guys are trained and know of all the frauds out there - but imho Klipsch has done wonders in protecting their brand from copies and fakes -

your speaker has a serial number at the rear of the tag - that serial number can be verified in seconds by klipsch -

Thanks, I will call them in the morning and see what they say.

So, I called Klipsch. He said that he hasn't really heard of counterfeit RC-62's, but it was possible. I can't tell from the photo if the number is "96357413" or "96857413". One is a valid serial, and one is not, according to the Klipsch rep.

Also, I just realized that this is probably not the "II" line. Is it still going to be a good match for my RF-82 II's?

Edit: So, after reading a bit, it seems that the RC-62 and RC-62 II are pretty similar sound-wise, but the cones are a different copper color, and the bezel/grill is different. So, either way (grill on or off), they won't be a perfect match to the RF-82 II's (aesthetically at least).

Edited by ToHellWithUGA

How does it sound?

I guess I should take a look at it and listen in person. I think I made the seller mad though, he's not responding any more (I just mentioned that the serial number wasn't recognized and asked where and when he bought it).

Simply state the facts that Klipsch gave you, make an offer YOU can live with and carry on my wayward son!

So, I called Klipsch. He said that he hasn't really heard of counterfeit RC-62's, but it was possible. I can't tell from the photo if the number is "96357413" or "96857413". One is a valid serial, and one is not, according to the Klipsch rep.

Also, I just realized that this is probably not the "II" line. Is it still going to be a good match for my RF-82 II's?

Edit: So, after reading a bit, it seems that the RC-62 and RC-62 II are pretty similar sound-wise, but the cones are a different copper color, and the bezel/grill is different. So, either way (grill on or off), they won't be a perfect match to the RF-82 II's (aesthetically at least).

a serial number must be checked based on the correct model number  - the tag says RC62 - The serial number is 96857413- - it is not a RC62 II serial no 96857413- we can read the tag very clearly -

-