Klipsch Reference Premiere vs. Reference II Speakers

Youthman

• Moderators

Klipsch just posted this article in their blog.  Cool article but I do have some questions.

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-reference-premiere-vs-reference-ii-speakers/

Klipsch would not launch a new series under the legendary Reference name without it being 100% better than its predecessor.

A little confused about this statement.  Does that mean they feel they are twice as good? 

Not only is the material upgraded from ABS plastic to MDF board to decrease resonance, the Reference Premiere baffles bear chamfered edges to reduce sound diffraction.

I thought the Reference II no longer had baffles like the RF-83's had?  At least the RC-64 does not.  Did any of the lower model towers have baffles?  Maybe they are referring to them or to the smaller center channel speakers?

Even with my questions, I'm still looking forward to hearing them for myself before passing any judgment against them.

Youth all the reference stuff has baffles. Maybe your confused what that is. The rf-83 had a plastic piece over the actual wood baffle under where speakers mount. The new ones have a nicer wooden baffle with magnets below the finish for the grills which is becoming the standard for nicer speakers.

Hope they are twice as good. Mine will be in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

I'm wondering when they will redo the RF 7ii, I remember reading on the CES 2015 thread that they would be sticking around but I'm pretty sure ultimately it said they would be replaced. oh well, can't be worried about replacing speaks I'm still trying to get my second sub, been trolling craigslist and SearchTempest 3-4 or more times daily for quite a while now thanks to one of our fine moderators who shall remain nameless. It rhymes with Moothman :) I'm looking forward to your review as well Scrappy,

I am going to go out on a limb and say the RP is a step down, otherwise why did Klipsch not replace the RF 7II and RC 64 II.  I can't see the RP sounding better.  The RP line was influenced by marketing.  The Icon and Synergy line were to closely match and everyone like the copper cones.  I know they may a few changes but, they alway do for a new line.

As far as I know, all the Reference speakers have a baffle.  Even something like this is considered a baffle.

Edited by derrickdj1

I am going to go out on a limb and say the RP is a step down

I sure hope it is not a step down.

otherwise why did Klipsch not replace the RF 7II and RC 64 II.

Because they are very high performance flagship models.  In order to replace such great speakers, Klipsch may need more time to develop them to get it right so the consumer will not have a chance to be disappointed.  When a flagship is replaced, it has to be better all across the board to warrant it's premium price point.

I say look for an RF-7/RC-64(or whatever they will be called) Premium combo to come along mid summer.

Bill

I saw the rp-280f at my local dealer yesterday although I didn't take the time to listen to them. The guy at the store thought they were a little bit warmer and the average person would like them more but for home theatre he still preferred the rf-82, or rf-62. He attributed the warmth to the higher crossover which he brought up not me. 

I'm wondering when they will redo the RF 7ii, I remember reading on the CES 2015 thread that they would be sticking around but I'm pretty sure ultimately it said they would be replaced.

If they want everybody on board with the idea that the new premier line is better, seems like they at least need to replace the RF-7ii and RC-64ii horn with the new silicone stuff as well as maybe go with the flared rectangular ports. Unless there is a plan to replace them sooner than later I'm not sure why your flagship offerings would continue to have the outdated features that the premier line improves upon and surpasses. Usually this stuff is a trickle down effect, in this case it seems to be the opposite.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

I am going to go out on a limb and say the RP is a step down I sure hope it is not a step down.

I think you may be right with a replacement for the RF 7 II and RC 64 II before the year is out.  It will take a little while for people to get over the new speaker and placebo effect to get some real good evaluations on the new line.  I do like the horn which is similar to the old Icon line.  This should make the highs more smooth.  I hope the RP line does well.

Read up guys rf-7ii and rc-64ii are supposed to be replaced later this year if I remember reading correct. And I'm sure they will be reference premier as well. I'm HOPING with the new 4 driver models for a return of the rf-63. Maybe a RP-360F in wood veneer finish with a a high gloss baffle instead of a brushed one.

• Moderators
The rf-83 had a plastic piece over the actual wood baffle under where speakers mount. The new ones have a nicer wooden baffle

That's what I was referring to.  I knew the RF-83 had plastic between the cabinet and the woofer.  But the RF-7ii have only the wood, no plastic. 

I'm still confused how they say that from the Ref II to Ref Premiere, they removed the plastic baffle.  I'm just not seeing a plastic baffle on an RF-7ii which is a Ref II speaker.

The original Reference speakers (i.e. the RF-3 and RF-3II) had solid MDF front baffles.  Their successors (the RF-35, RF-82, and RF-82II) also have solid MDF baffles, but with added plastic trim pieces on top.  i find the claimed baffle improvements a bit disingenuous.  After all, if the plastic trim pieces are such a bad thing, then why did they add them to models that replaced the RF-3 / RF-3II?

The claimed baffle improvements don't apply to the RF-7II or RC-64II since those models never had plastic trim pieces on the front.

Regarding potential RF-7II / RC-64II replacements, they might be a way off according to one of Alex's posts over on AVS.

Edited by Schwa

The original Reference speakers (i.e. the RF-3 and RF-3II) had solid MDF front baffles. Their successors (the RF-35, RF-82, and RF-82II) also have solid MDF baffles, but with added plastic trim pieces on top. i find the claimed baffle improvements a bit disingenuous. After all, if the plastic trim pieces are such a bad thing, then why did they add them to models that replaced the RF-3 / RF-3II?

The baffle is just a part of the speaker, not good, not bad from a SQ point with the Reference line.  Some people may care about the cosmetic of a baffle, not a major point for  me since I leave the grills on.

I saw the rp-280f at my local dealer yesterday although I didn't take the time to listen to them. The guy at the store thought they were a little bit warmer and the average person would like them more but for home theatre he still preferred the rf-82, or rf-62. He attributed the warmth to the higher crossover which he brought up not me.

this is exactly what I feel is going to happen with the new speakers tby becoming more appeasing to the general consumer rather than the critical enthusiast such as ourselves. Edited by MichaelandKlipsch