Klipsch Reference Premiere vs. Reference II Speakers

Youthman

The original Reference speakers (i.e. the RF-3 and RF-3II) had solid MDF front baffles. Their successors (the RF-35, RF-82, and RF-82II) also have solid MDF baffles, but with added plastic trim pieces on top. i find the claimed baffle improvements a bit disingenuous. After all, if the plastic trim pieces are such a bad thing, then why did they add them to models that replaced the RF-3 / RF-3II?

The baffle is just a part of the speaker, not good, not bad from a SQ point with the Reference line.  Some people may care about the cosmetic of a baffle, not a major point for  me since I leave the grills on.

This is baffling 

That new vinyl looks terrible IMO.

That was my original thought but now it is growing on me.

Bill

It looks pretty good as long as you match it with other things with the same finish.  Put it next to an RF-7ii and it doesn't look quite as cool.  

The new stuff feels much more solid.  The plastic on Reference II makes some resonances and whatnot when you tap on it, it just feels hollow . These new ones feel solid.  I'm not sure how that translates to sound but it can't hurt.  

Big revelation to me......in the process of picking up some klf 30s I stayed with in laws in FL . My brother in law bought the reference set that bestbuy carries. He had never finished setting it up and asked for some help with setup. We hooked it all up to a pioneer avr also from bb. After running the auto set up a few times I told him to take the set back, it was awful. In a last ditch effort and experiment we tried the old avr, an HK 354. Wow....sweet, the Klipsch set from BB actually sounded really good even with the small Klipsch sub. He lives in a townhouse so big volume is not needed, just good sound.

He's getting the new HK version cause he needs networking. He's also seen first hand that the source makes all the difference and they don't all sound alike. There is no way to judge Klipsch speakers unless the front end is right.........cause you ain't really heard em.

• Like 3