First Experience with Audyssey Calibration (not quite what I expected)

Youthman

post calibration steps include turning off all of the audyssey eq and other crap that flattens out your dynamic range, making sure all speakers are set to small with suitable crossovers (40hz on my mains and 70hz on my surrounds) and picking the audyssey curve that suits your preference ( i stick it to audyssey movie and leave it alone).

run some demo content and adjust your trim levels to suit your preference.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith

They do a sub distance tweak to try and fix a dip audyssey has sometimes at the crossover spot. I tried it and found my subs were set properly by XT32 from the get go, but mine are placed equidistant with everything else. As far as other speakers distance should be pretty accurate, mine always is. You need REW to experiment with this and it works for some, not for others.

With regards to sub level, I usually adjust my sub volumes where auto eq sets them around -8 db. I have found that XT32 sets mine about 5db too low, so once everything is finished and I am changing fronts to small, setting crossovers etc..., I boost sub level from -8db to -3db for example. It is quite common for users to boost sub levels after audyssey 3 to 6 db.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Just curious about all the different people I read about changing the distance with Audyssey, is this really necessary?  The actual distance and the time sound hits the mic is prone to be off due to the room interactions.

which is why you don't mess with the distance settings. all of the audyssey calibrations are made in order to accommodate the various time delays. Audyssey is so much smarter than your graph paper and spl meter, it's maddening.

• Like 1

http://batpigworld.com/wp/?page_id=37

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

you've got to remember that most people prefer more sub-bass than is "correct to spec"

You also have to realize that it can be easily proven Audyssey sets the subs too low sometimes. I have done it with both a Umik1 and CM140 SPL meter from Cross Spectrum, both I trust more for level setting than the cheap mic that came in the box. Now for distance and the resulting EQ freq response, I have proven it does a great job.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I don't use Audyssey and was just wondering what everyone was trying to fix, thanks.  Michael is right, the bass boost people use is because of their personal taste of extra bass.  It is not uncommon to MCACC to bump the sub trim up a bit once speakers are set to small in the calibration process, which is usually around 73 db.

you've got to remember that most people prefer more sub-bass than is "correct to spec"

You also have to realize that it can be easily proven Audyssey sets the subs too low sometimes. I have done it with both a Umik1 and CM140 SPL meter from Cross Spectrum, both I trust more for level setting than the cheap mic that came in the box. Now for distance and the resulting EQ freq response, I have proven it does a great job.

ive owned three. Onkyo 805 denon 1713 and denon 4520. Every single one has set my sub channel exact same level as everything else.

I don't use Audyssey and was just wondering what everyone was trying to fix, thanks.  Michael is right, the bass boost people use is because of their personal taste of extra bass.  It is not uncommon to MCACC to bump the sub trim up a bit once speakers are set to small in the calibration process, which is usually around 73 db.

I think at some point, knowing LFE is hard to read, you reach some variance in the mics that come with AVR's/preamps.

With XT32, a 3-6db boost is common.

ive owned three. Onkyo 805 denon 1713 and denon 4520. Every single one has set my sub channel exact same level as everything else.

With my X4000 as a preamp and the outlaw 7500, a Audyssey pro calibrator found them 8db too low (that was the dual VTF15's). With my 4520 as a preamp, I found them around 4db low with the CM140 (dual VTF15's). With the AV7702 preamp I m seeing they need +5db every time I rerun XT32 (dual Rythmiks). So as we all know, what happens at your house doesn't mean it happens at mine.

Edited by gadgtfreek

trying to fix?

room nodes. inconsistent time alignments due to mis-matched reflection points, weird frequency curves, etc.

audyssey gets me 90% of the way there, which is perfectly adequate for my needs (and it only took 20 minutes!).

I don't disagree, I was just explaining why they "tweak" distance on the subs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. usually works for people that have multiple subs placed in odd spots.

XT32 is a great set it and forget it plan other than fixing xover points. I also always recommend someone get a decent SPL meter and just use the -30dbfs and -40dbfs tones in spears and munsil disc 2 to double check level.

audyssey gets me 90% of the way there, which is perfectly adequate for my needs (and it only took 20 minutes!).

Now that is an understatement to say the least, lol. :)   Getting that last 10% can take hours to days!  I have blown many afternoons or nights chasing that last few percents.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Now that is an understatement to say the least, lol. :)   Getting that last 10% can take hours to days!

A good portion of things you can't fix. I spent two weeks moving crap around and running sweeps with REW. I fixed very little but learned a lot about the room and what moving the speaker does. It's fun up to a point, but then you have to move on and just enjoy your gear.

Now that is an understatement to say the least, lol. :)   Getting that last 10% can take hours to days!

A good portion of things you can't fix. I spent two weeks moving crap around and running sweeps with REW. I fixed very little but learned a lot about the room and what moving the speaker does. It's fun up to a point, but then you have to move on and just enjoy your gear.

which is where I have landed. there's so much about my room and setup that is nowhere near a theater setup that there's no point in spending the effort to obtain theater grade "precision".

in spite of all this, however, Youth should not be having this much trouble getting semi-accurate results from Audyssey. so I'm puzzled there.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith