New Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Premsaggar

Hi everyone, I just purchased a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer. I also have a SVS PB-13 ultra that I've kept right next to the Klipsch for testing. I ran some tests and the Klipsch sounded louder and more punchy, to my surprise. However, after a few tests I noticed the Klipsch was emanating a hum noise. After doing some experimenting here's what I know:
1) When the Klipsch is on and not connected to anything it does not hum
2) When the Klipsch is on and ANY audio connector is connected to it, it will hum, even if the audio connector is not connected to the receiver!
3) If I take the exact same audio connector and plug it into the SVS I have no hum from the SVS.

The Klipsch's power plug only has 2 prongs and no ground level. The SVS cord has a ground level.

It seems to me that the Klipsch's input ports are overly sensitive or defective. The hum is very loud at max volume and does get quieter as the sub's gain drops. However, the hum only vanishes once the sub's gain is 0. Please help, I really like this sub and I don't know how to fix it!

Thanks,
Prem

I have exactly the same problem. I have tried to change the cable and bought a ground loop isolator, it just did things worse. Now I'm considering to return the subwoofer, then they must get the repereret or give me a new one. I a'm running out of patience.....

• Like 2

Did you buy this sub brand new If so, I would just return it?  If it is a used one, a return if the seller allows it or pull the amp off of it and check all the connections.  Sounds like LFE or ground wire is not getting proper contact.  I hear the ground loop isolator are supposed to be golden in most situations but I have never tried one personally.

• Like 1

2) When the Klipsch is on and ANY audio connector is connected to it, it will hum, even if the audio connector is not connected to the receiver!

It seems to me that the Klipsch's input ports are overly sensitive or defective. The hum is very loud at max volume and does get quieter as the sub's gain drops. However, the hum only vanishes once the sub's gain is 0.

Since I woke up to texts about this thread I am testing a couple of these out. I will say they will hum like a sumofabich if I have the wires connected to the sub but not the receiver and I'm sitting there holding the ends of the rca cables. I'm assuming you are doing this but I'm not sure. If I plug them in like you're supposed to they are totally silent.  Using the wireless port is also complete silence.  If that's not the case, I would try a different RCA cable.  Simply plugging an RCA cable in should not be completing any circuits but if the wire was pinched it could very well do that.  Somebody on this forum had that exact same problem a month or two ago.  Swapped cables and they were fine.  The only way plugging in an RCA cable into the sub is going to induce a hum is if you're completing a circuit or picking up interference like a magnetic field or some other source.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

It seems to me that the Klipsch's input ports are overly sensitive or defective. The hum is very loud at max volume and does get quieter as the sub's gain drops. However, the hum only vanishes once the sub's gain is 0.

Since I woke up to texts about this thread I am testing a couple of these out. I will say they will hum like a sumofabich if I have the wires connected to the sub but not the receiver and I'm sitting there holding the ends of the rca cables. I'm assuming you are doing this but I'm not sure. If I plug them in like you're supposed to they are totally silent.  Using the wireless port is also complete silence.  If that's not the case, I would try a different RCA cable.  Simply plugging an RCA cable in should not be completing any circuits but if the wire was pinched it could very well do that.  Somebody on this forum had that exact same problem a month or two ago.  Swapped cables and they were fine.  The only way plugging in an RCA cable into the sub is going to induce a hum is if you're completing a circuit or picking up interference like a magnetic field or some other source.  

Hi and thank you for your help. I do get hum when the subwoofer rca cable is connected to the receiver and the subwoofer. I also get hum if the rca cable is just connected to the subwoofer and not the receiver. I can make it hum louder by twisting the rca cable various ways when its not connected to the receiver. The only time there is no hum is when the sub is on and there is no cable connected to it. Once a cable is connected I get hum :(. I tried a different subwoofer cable and the sub still hummed. The SVS I have does not hum at all with the same subwoofer rca cable. I really like the Klipsch sub and I hope I can fix the hum issue. Thank you again for all your help.

I can make it hum louder by twisting the rca cable various ways when its not connected to the receiver. 

That ain't right, sounds like a bad cable to me but I guess you've already tried that.  The wireless kit works swell and may be an option, that eliminates RCA cables.  Although, you shouldn't have to rely on that.  Maybe try a different wall outlet.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

try a good quality ground loop isolator. 

If it never gets plugged in to the receiver and still does it I can't imagine that its a ground loop nor could be fixed by one.  Worth a shot though, the low end ones are cheap enough.  

Hi everyone,

So I called Radio Shack and asked them about the ground loop isolator. The rep said the sub is probably defective and that the isolator woudn't work! I give him credit for being honest with me. I am so sad. This sub absolutely rocks when it plays except for the hum noise. Thank you so much to the klipsch forum members. I posted this issue on AVSForums and did not get a single response. However, here the members have been so responsive and helpful. I am very greatful for all your help.

Thanks,

Prem

• Like 1

Avs forum under the klipsch thread? If so that is the most worthless thread I've ever seen.

Hi, I posted in the general subwoofer category. There's still not a single response over there. This is really a great community and forum. Please give me a recommendation for a fabulous subwoofer. I have a PB-13 and it's nice but I don't get the punch and tightness I get from the Klipsch subs. I do hope I can get the hum fixed and keep this sub but if not I'll have to try something else. Thanks again everyone. Prem.

I have a PB-13 and it's nice but I don't get the punch and tightness I get from the Klipsch subs.

Very good for the Klipsch subwoofer reputation but I am very surprised that the PB13U(1st or 2nd generation) is falling a little short in the punch department.

My SB13 Plus is all about punch and tightness.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

I have a PB-13 and it's nice but I don't get the punch and tightness I get from the Klipsch subs.

Very good for the Klipsch subwoofer reputation but I am very surprised that the PB13U(1st or 2nd generation) is falling a little short in the punch department.

My SB13 Plus is all about punch an tightness.

Bill

I was surprised as well that the Klipsch was so much louder and more punchy. I haven't verified but I suspect the PB-13 will be much louder below 20HZ. The Klipsch is so powerful it slides across the floor when it fires! Perhaps I'll take a chance and order another one. I think it's a compelling value "if" it works. Still sad about this :(.

Premsaggar, welcome, if it's new and under warranty, you might send it back for another sub. You said you sure liked the sound, would be a shame to lose that. 

This is a great community with a lot of friendly knowledgeable people. Hang around.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'll probably exchange it. I bought it from Amazon so they'll offer an exchange. The sub rocks, it's just got this odd hum :(. I'll give it one more go.

Thanks everyone,

Prem

I'm wondering if this punch you are describing is actually a sound you prefer. The ultra is a top notch sub and I find it weird it doesn't provide enough. I owned a pair before and they were monsters. And shaking across the floor isn't a good thing necessarily. Maybe you can just play with the setting on the PB-13 ultra and see if you can get some more lunch out of it? There is peq options on back where you can bump up the 60-80 hz area. Call Svs and see if them guys can help you out. Would save you money since you already own it.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

The Klipsch is so powerful it slides across the floor when it fires!

And shaking across the floor isn't a good thing necessarily.

I agree with this.  The power/mass ratio may contribute to this "walking" across the floor.  Or maybe the feet on the R-115SW do not grip enough to keep it stationary.  I had a Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature that would literally walk 10 feet across my tile when in full blown HT mode.  The power and woofer excursion were too much for the weight of the subwoofer.  As a matter of fact my 100+ pounds Revel B15 would walk until I placed some rubber furniture pads underneath to prevent it from moving.

00dfcc33-0e07-4b2a-97f1-9725c3c7a67f_400

Bill